PDA

View Full Version : Extra Typhoon sqn for Lossie?

Frostchamber
7th Mar 2016, 13:29
Apparently Fallon has announced (in a speech to the Scottish Conservatives) that Lossie is the preferred location for one of the two additional Typhoon sqns announced in the SDSR. With 3 sqns already there and the P8s to come, sounds a tight fit.

And on the assumption that it wouldn't be cost effective to locate a single sqn in isolation eg at Leeming, that also appears to imply that the other new sqn will go to Coningsby?

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere - couldn't see anything on a quick scan

Rhino power
7th Mar 2016, 14:55
Is there enough room at Coningsby for another squadron though? 3, 11, 29(R), 41(R) and the BBMF are already resident, can't be that much room left?
Now, bare in mind this is on wikipedia, but it is suggested that 100 squadron is to relocate to Coningsby next year as well, operating Typhoons! :eek:
Given that there was some mention of an aggressor squadron forming up with Typhoons, maybe some truth to the idea? Could one or possibly two Coningbsy squadrons relocate elsewhere to make room?

-RP

Aggamemnon
7th Mar 2016, 15:07
Perhaps Leeming?

Has it been announced that the P8s will be based at Lossiemouth?

hedgester
7th Mar 2016, 15:26
It should still all fit, moons ago there were four fast jet squadrons there, 12sqn, 208sqn, 226 OCU, and 237 OCU, along with 8sqn, plus "D" Flt 202sqn, 48sqn RAF Regt, and 2622 (Highland) Regt. So 4 fast jet squadrons and one P8 squadron should fit in....:8

gamecock
7th Mar 2016, 17:36
Has it been announced that the P8s will be based at Lossiemouth?

Yes, it was widely reported back in November. I don't know about Coningsby but at Lossie the money is on the new Typhoon squadron occupying TEF/TASF North's hangar, with the P8s taking over XV Sqn's real estate. No facts, just good old speculation.

charliegolf
7th Mar 2016, 17:45
Good luck manning 4 Typhoon squadrons up north.

Don't servicemen and women follow orders these days? Or posting notices?

CG

MSOCS
7th Mar 2016, 18:14
Yes, however there has been a subtle move toward democracy rather than typical military autocracy over the last few years, with many thinking they can use the threat of PVR to get their own way. In fairness, there are other pressures on individuals - working spouses or compassionate/family preferences for remaining S of the border, which Manning do their best to accomodate.

If you want to fly Typhoon after Hawk training, you have to accept reality: the chances are high that you'll do a tour or more at Lossie.

Inevitably these are always eventually worked out between the Poster and the individual.

melmothtw
7th Mar 2016, 22:05
Yes, it was widely reported back in November. I don't know about Coningsby but at Lossie the money is on the new Typhoon squadron occupying TEF/TASF North's hangar, with the P8s taking over XV Sqn's real estate. No facts, just good old speculation.

No, it was announced that the P-8s will be based in Scotland rather than Lossie, per se.

There has been talk of re-opening Leuchars (Google will show some stories on the subject), no doubt to address the capacity issue that's been raised here and elsewhere.

Roland Pulfrew
8th Mar 2016, 11:47
Mel

No, it was announced that the P-8s will be based in Scotland rather than Lossie, per se.

Leaving aside the fact that Lossie is the only main operating base left in Scotland, your statement is not true - this from Hansard following the SDSR 15 announcement in Parliament:

23 Nov 2015 : Column 1059

The Prime Minister: ... Let me answer the right hon. Gentleman’s question about maritime patrol aircraft very clearly. The fact is that in 2010 we had to take difficult decisions. This was an aircraft that was not properly in service. We acted on advice because the costs were not clear and the capability was not clear. In any event, it was, as he would put it, guarding a deterrent that he does not want in the first place. He should welcome its replacement and he should welcome the fact that it will be based at RAF Lossiemouth.

melmothtw
8th Mar 2016, 11:54
Mel

Leaving aside the fact that Lossie is the only main operating base left in Scotland, your statement is not true - this from Hansard following the SDSR 15 announcement in Parliament:

I stand corrected Roland (and gamecock), I wasn't aware that had been said.

Valiantone
8th Mar 2016, 11:57
I think its safe to say there is plenty of room at Coningsby, given the fact they managed quite well with 6, 41, 54, and 228 OCU all operateing McDonnells finest.

And that was with only four hangars, admittedly one now has the BBMF in it. And they have a HAS complex as well.

V1

bluetail
8th Mar 2016, 12:04
There's plenty of room at Lossie for an extra Typhoon Sqn (or even 2) , the Northern HAS Site (12 Sqns old land) is currently unused except for the Q Shed and XV cant have that long left, so there is an option to use that Line as well.

Martin the Martian
8th Mar 2016, 13:31
Wasn't there a plan a little while back to move BBMF out to Scampton? I seem to remember something being mooted.

Valiantone
8th Mar 2016, 13:43
I don't know if that is still a plan.

I think they should still manage even with the BBMF, unless anyone else knows different

V1

bluetail
8th Mar 2016, 14:29
I think moving the BoBMF over to Scampton might not be a bad idea at all, it will achieve two things I reckon, first it will put the two RAF premier display organisations at the same place and secondly it will join the fledgling RAF Scampton Museum with the BoBMF Visitor Centre under one roof.

Or is this thinking a bit too logical.

Herod
8th Mar 2016, 15:28
Thinking ahead a little: what if the UK as a whole votes to leave the EU but the majority in Scotland vote to remain? The SNP would call another referendum, and Scotland could leave the UK but remain in the EU. Now there's a can of worms to sort out.

OldAgeandTreachery
8th Mar 2016, 16:03
The rumour mill is working overtime so can I add another gem. Kinloss might be looked at because although Lossie may have the space it doesn't have any infrastructure for Maritime Ops. Buildings at Kinloss are maintained and the runway is effectively open. Now: Who thinks that the MOD would go down that route or would they spend zillions on Ops and squadron buildings and all the rest of the paraphanelia?