PDA

View Full Version : Sqd. Ldr. Brian Mercer

FALCONS CRUTCH
6th Mar 2016, 18:18
I was Very sad to here of the death of Brian Mercer, the leader of the - Blue Diamonds ( 92 sqd. ) - Who lead a whole formation of 22 Hunters into a giant loop at many of the air displays Throughout Europe. Brian was a 747 fleet manager with Cathay Pacific in the later end of his civil flying career.

POBJOY
6th Mar 2016, 18:33
A class act with class leadership, just need an image of the blue T7 that led them to remind us of what an Air Force we had.

RAFEngO74to09
6th Mar 2016, 19:45
http://www.92sqdn.brushhouse.co.uk/pics/XL571-1.jpg

Photo from this 92 Sqn website - taken at RAF Wethersfield Armed Forces Day August 1964 - credited to Ian Bowskill Collection.

http://www.92sqdn.brushhouse.co.uk/planes.html

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Sqn Ldr Mercer or viewing the displays he led but they must have been a sight to behold.

RAFEngO74to09
6th Mar 2016, 19:54
http://www.92sqdn.brushhouse.co.uk/pics/BlueDiamonds-4.jpg

Farnborough 1962

Photo credit: Adrian Pinkstone

RAFEngO74to09
6th Mar 2016, 20:09
More here - written by Sqn Ldr Mercer himself:

Blue Diamonds - Royal Air Force Aerobatic Display Team (http://aerobaticteams.net/blue-diamonds.html)

"In 1961 No. 92 Sqn, the Blue Diamonds, (initially named 'The Falcons'), became the official aerobatic team of Royal Air Force. Under the leadership of Sqn Ldr RWP Brian Mercer, an ex-Black Arrows pilot, they flew 16 blue-painted Hawker Hunter F6 aircraft. During their display, Blue Diamonds splits into two formations of 7 and 9 aircraft and to four formations of four planes also. The team used the four fours spilt first at Furstenfeldbruck Air Base near Munich in September 1961.

The team performed the 16-ship rool and a loop, which began with four split sections of four Hunters and joined up in one large diamond at the top of the loop, while inverted. Another unique maneuver performed by The Blue Diamonds display team was seven-ship line abreast loop, which has not done by any other aerobatic team.

The team was formed in 1960 and exists until 1962."

ancientaviator62
7th Mar 2016, 07:45
Sorry to hear about Brian Mercer. He was the OC of 92 when I first arrived on the sqn at Leconfield. If memory serves he has an Aston Martin (DB4 ?) painted in a fetching shade of ground equipment blue. The reg number was either OC 92 or CO 92. 'Paddy' Hine took over when Brian left.

POBJOY
7th Mar 2016, 11:07
Thanks for that RAF ENG what an absolute aviation 'art form' and an exercise in flying poetry.
The fact that it also did its job at the 'sharp end' says it all.
The RAF certainly had 'leadership' in those days,and the Hunter shape is timeless.

Of course we actually had 'aircraft' to be led then !!!!

ancientaviator62
7th Mar 2016, 11:35
RAFENGO,
very nice pic of 92's T7. I was on the squadron then so will have worked on that very frame.

dicky100
9th Mar 2016, 14:11
He is one of the reasons i sit here now with my wings on my chest. I was luckily enough to meet with him and my Nan's neighbour (another RAF pilot, a friend of Brian's from EFT days i think) in the RAF Club. He set the drinks up, so they could spin their dits about how great the RAF was and it was the only career i should consider. A keen ULAS student at the time, i was sold on the idea. I still have a signed copy of "Black Arrows Blue Diamonds." A brilliant read.

RIP Squadron Leader and thanks for the inspiration.

POBJOY
9th Mar 2016, 15:08
This thread 'prompted' me to look out for a copy of the book which is available from Pen & Sword.
However i found an 'original' ex library on ABE books so that is on its way.
The sight of those blue Hunters were amazing to a young ATC Cadet even though many squadrons got the chop under the Sandys 'rocket review',and the aircraft became 'ground attack'.

Flying Lawyer
9th Mar 2016, 15:28
FALCONS CRUTCH
..... Who lead a whole formation of 22 Hunters into a giant loop at many of the air displays Throughout Europe.

I'm open to correction but believe the 22 Hunter loop was performed only at Farnborough (in 1958), and led by Air Cdre Roger Topp AFC** who was then a Sqn Ldr and boss of Treble One. Brian Mercer, then a Flt Lt, was one of the pilots.

My query should not be misinterpreted as detracting in any way from the enormous achievements of Sqn Ldr Mercer.

Vampiredave
9th Mar 2016, 15:39
I originally put this up on the "Where Are They Now" forum but is probably worth repeating: Sqn Ldr Brian Mercer AFC, was appointed to command the 92 Squadron in October 1960 and immediately set about selecting and training a new aerobatic display team, which was eventually named "The Blue Diamonds". He came to 92 Squadron with a great deal of aerobatic experience, having originally joined the RAF in October 1947 and flown Mosquito and Meteor night fighters with 29 Squadron, followed by Meteor F Mk.8s with 56 and 111 Squadrons. Between 1955 and 1957 he led No.60 Squadron's display team of four Venoms in the Far East, which displayed at Bangkok, Saigon and at Clark Field in the Philippines. Returning to the UK, he joined Treble-One Squadron at North Weald in December 1957 and was subsequently appointed deputy leader of the Black Arrows aerobatic team for two years in 1958, for which he received the AFC.

Roger Topp led the 22-Hunter formation loop(s) in 1958