PDA

View Full Version : 20 Sqn. and 1574 TTF - Meteors to Tawau December 1966

DonExAir
4th Mar 2016, 14:43
I wonder if there are any of us left that were part of the 1574 TTF detachment from Changi to relieve 20 squadron’s Hunters at Tawau Sabah (North Borneo) during the latter part of the Indonesian Confrontation. I think that there may have been another detachment either before or after Dec ’66. Perhaps someone from 20 Sqn. or 1574 TTF can enlighten me?
I am not sure that our Meteor F8’s with their 20mm Hispano cannons with a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute were a good replacement for the Hunter with the 30mm Aden guns at over 1300 rds/min. Perhaps we thought that the Indonesian Migs would not notice!:rolleyes: We sported 3 F8s and a T7 on our detachment.
Love to hear from anyone from 20 Sqn. or our TTF if you have any memories of this.
Regards,
Don. (Armourer and TTO)

beefix
5th Mar 2016, 10:16
Don M?
Yes, I was there. A long time ago now but I can still remember it. I seem to recall that we flew there in a NZ Air Force Bristol Freighter,it must have taken about seven hours. It was a really laid back outpost even though it was on the front line, so to speak. Although not in the same league as the Hunter, the good old Meteor F8 with it's four 20mm cannons could still packed a punch. Those were the days!! As an aside, I was also a TTO.

Rgds
Steve H
PS Do you remember the Rushton Target?

DonExAir
5th Mar 2016, 12:03
Hi Steve,
Nice to hear from you and that someone else is still about that remembers that detachment. Were you also on the other detachment to Tawau? Do you recall when it was or is it just in my imagination or confusion?
I had an email yesterday from an old mate of yours and you were mentioned in it with regrets that he has lost contact with you. He was another TTO and rigger Dave Marshall.
Yes I remember that long flight by 41 Sqn. (NZ) Bristol "Shaker" and I have a photograph of it on the apron at Tawau. I seem to recall that we made an unscheduled descent after someone spotted what was apparently a burning ship on route (or am I confusing it with another flight in my life!).
I have quite a few photos from that detachment including our flight line, the runway, the bed space, the casavacs and my trip in the Whirlwind despatching ammo to the forward bases in the jungle. Fun Days. :)
Yes Steve, I remember the new Rushton targets and Delmar winches that went with them. I have photos of these too. Dave would have gone home by then. I think Jonnie Mount was still there though.
Let me Know if you recall anything else before our memories go.:confused:
Don.
PS Contact me off forum if you want Dave's email address. DM.

DonExAir
9th Mar 2016, 16:37
I wonder if any 20 squadron guys remember being releaved by us so they could have their break? They MUST have been impressed by our high speed and fire power. ;) :rolleyes:
Regards,
Don.

DonExAir
13th Mar 2016, 17:29
No comment from 20 sqn Hunters. Strange! Maybe I have it wrong. Perhaps it was 60/64 sqn Javelins that we were relieving.
Age does not come alone.
Don.

Fareastdriver
13th Mar 2016, 21:36
I was on a 230 Sqn detachment to Tawau for June and July 1966. There were no Hunters or Javelins there then. We left at that time and the only helicopters after that the RMAF Allouettes.

IIRC the Javelins had already returned to Singapore and there was no fighter cover in Sabah.

DonExAir
15th Mar 2016, 12:01
Thanks Fareastdriver for your input. The detachment that I was on was in December 1966 after you had gone. Perhaps the Hunters/ Javelins never actually used Tawau as a base, they may have covered the area from airfields further west of that Indonesian coastline.
The skirmishes were still going on in the December '66 as we witnessed on several occasions the helicopters bringing in casualties from the north of the area. The "Meatboxes" carried out several armed patrols whilst we were there though never fired a shot - saved cleaning the guns!
Regards,
Don.

DonExAir
28th Mar 2016, 14:54
Were the hunters of 20 Sqn and the Javelins of 60/64 Sqn still operating in the Borneo area in late 1966 and early 1967? If so was it in a ground support role or air defence and when did the cease and return to Tengah?
Regards,
Don.

NutherA2
28th Mar 2016, 17:52
Perhaps the Hunters/ Javelins never actually used Tawau as a base

The only Borneo bases used by the 60 & 64 Sqn Javelins were Kuching and Labuan. During my time "in theatre" (1963-66) the same was true for the 20 Sqn Hunters.

DonExAir
29th Mar 2016, 10:58
The only Borneo bases used by the 60 & 64 Sqn Javelins were Kuching and Labuan. During my time "in theatre" (1963-66) the same was true for the 20 Sqn Hunters.
Yes, Kuching and Labuan would make more sense as they had a better LDA/TODA than Tawau and were not so close to the Kalimantan border nor were they prone to eastern seaboard attack. Have you any idea when the respective squadrons moved back permanently to Tengah? I believe that 60 and 64 disbanded in April '68 and June '67 respectively and 20 squadron stayed in FEAF until the withdrawal and disbanding in '70 but when did they withdraw from Borneo?
Thanks for your response.
Regards, Don.