PDA

View Full Version : EPS AERO Flat 8 Aerodiesel

nomorecatering
2nd Mar 2016, 10:46
There was a flurry of news 2 years ago when it made it's 1st flight, but news in the last 18 months has been very scarce.

Has anyone heard of how it's going with certification, technical problems.

onetrack
2nd Mar 2016, 11:46
Check the EPS website, particularly the "manufacturing" pages. Only two engines have been built and progress is being made on increased manufacturing facilities to produce more engines.
The prototype engines are currently still under the scrutiny of the FAA for certification purposes, and the FAA approval is not expected until 2017 now.

Here's another recent (Dec. 2015) news snippet (link below) regarding the engines construction - which utilises a CGI crankcase, steel pistons and liquid cooling.
Despite what appears to be the heaviest design features one could imagine for an aviation engine, EPS appear confident the engine will weigh only a fraction more than any equivalent size, air-cooled, aluminium-crankcase, avgas engine.

I must say I'm a little surprised that EPS has selected to produce only one engine size - the 4.3L V8 - producing power in the 320 to 420HP range.
I would have thought, that to fully benefit financially from an all-new design, it would have paid to offer a range of engine sizes, particularly offering engines in the 150-250HP range.

CGI for new diesel aviation engine (https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/12/17/796416/0/en/Engineered-Propulsion-Systems-leverages-CGI-for-diesel-aviation-engine.html)