PDA

View Full Version : Rad Nav A320 Policy

Speedwinner
2nd Mar 2016, 04:42
Hi aviation friends,

Concerning the rad nav page on the A320. We usually set the local nav aids around the airport for an ils approach and if you need the nav aid for approach we set it. The fctm writes that you shouldn't force the nav aid into rad nav because of a late runway change. So how do you and your company handle that?

Thanks!

Sw

tom775257
2nd Mar 2016, 05:21
We do as per the FCTM now. Previously we did as you. To be honest I don't see the point into force tuning nav aids just 'to have something to point at' when it takes seconds to insert if required for holding or whatever. Obviously doesn't apply if you are doing a VOR or NDB selected or managed.

Secondly if you were to have a dual FMGC failure and NEED a navaid for general Nav you would have to go to backup nav anyway and dial it in, so all in all... what is the point.

RUMBEAR
2nd Mar 2016, 05:25
We have no specific company guidance ( l.e we follow the AIRBUS FCOM ). On line it is rare to see somebody want to manually tune a navaid. The auto tuning philosophy of the FMGC will probably tune the same as what you are wanting to manually tune. It may be with having a look at FCOM DSC-22_20-20-30 radio navigation tuning which describes the auto tuning priorities.

Check Airman
2nd Mar 2016, 07:09
No specific company guidance on tuning a VOR. We never manually tune an ILS.

As a technique, I'll manually tune a VOR if it's required to define a hold for the missed approach, or the (increasingly rare) conventional SID. Otherwise, we'll typically tune the VOR used to define the MSA. Never done a VOR approach on the line, as we'd usually go for an ILS or RNAV first.

Natstrackalpha
2nd Mar 2016, 10:32
Currency is everything - but, a passing question . . .

If you force tuned a VOR or NDB say, and the FMS already had a nice ILS all set up and working with ILS pb APPR too - could/would this (force tuning the other aids) . . . disengage the operating in range LOC/ILS and mess things up a bit?

I would tend to want to force tune what I had, as a back-up, if at all, rather than something - I may want in the event of a G/A or whatever. What am asking is: would it detract from what was already set up in the box and on the PFD and the NAV map. Because I thought to force tune would over-ride what (it) had auto-tuned?

Togue
2nd Mar 2016, 12:47
Rumbear provided the right reference. Just read it.

What you select on the RAD NAV page, is what the ND will display. The autotuning will tune up to DME 5 frequencies, depending on the equipment installed. But you will not receive any indication of this procces.

Metro man
7th Mar 2016, 05:44
Should you hard tune an ILS it will be captured regardless of what the active flight plan has in it so a late runway change could prove very embarrassing.

If we hard tune a VOR we sometimes get an amber message on the MCDU telling us to tune a different VOR, I think this is for IRS updating.

CaptainMongo
7th Mar 2016, 10:50
If your company procedures in specific instances specifically require a force tune on the RADNAV page (MAN/MAN etc) - of course comply. However as a technique, I would discourage it.

Auto tuning relieves pilot work load and ensures "agreement" between the pilots and the airplane on exactly what approach is to be flown. Our company procedures have us clear out any manually tuned NAV aids used during departure at 18,000. (ie KORD climb restrictions, etc.) Manually tuned NAVAIDS prevent auto tuning.

If one were to leave a manually tuned ILS freq in the RADNAV page (back up to departure procedure say), cockpit confusion would result, at least for a bit, when the MCDU "RWY/LS MISMATCH" message appeared. Or as others have posted, a late runway change - not only would one have to install and brief a new approach you would have to retune the RADNAV page - why do that to yourself? The Thales engineers seem to me to be a pretty sharp group, I would go with what they came up with.

MD83FO
8th Mar 2016, 23:30
we manual tune to be ready for a complex high altitude engine out procedure kathmandu stile but without the advent of an EOSID on the database.

safelife
9th Mar 2016, 02:09
I wonder why everyone calls it the RADNAV page. It's title clearly states "Radio Nav".
You don't say " eff ell pee enn" or "dee cee tee to" only because the MCDU button reads "FLPN" and "DCT TO" after all..

Capn Bloggs
9th Mar 2016, 03:33
Arrrh yes but, the button says...

http://s26.postimg.org/lk6tkrs91/Radnav.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Check Airman
9th Mar 2016, 06:39
Arrrh yes but, the button says...

http://s26.postimg.org/lk6tkrs91/Radnav.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Which I think was the point he was making;)

I guess it's because "rad nav" comes off the tongue fairly easily.