PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen

Raptor71
1st Mar 2016, 12:00
Hi Guys,

Can somebody tell me why visual flight tracks are depicted on jeppesen charts?
I mean are they really necessary?

I can see that they are never depicted on ILS/LOC charts (after the M symbol) even when the MAP is before the threshold.

Thanks

JonDyer
3rd Mar 2016, 06:02
Have you an example?

dusk2dawn
5th Mar 2016, 07:31
For leagal reasons Jeppesen, Navtech et al will include visual tracks as prescribed by the authority.

Raptor71
9th Mar 2016, 05:28
Oh ok then,

2 more questions:

where can I find the hours of operations of a part time ILS?
I checked the airport general ( briefing) and nothing is there ( Prague)

Why are the NDB green on the enrollee charts? ( lisibility?)

Check Airman
9th Mar 2016, 06:13
Oh ok then,

2 more questions:

where can I find the hours of operations of a part time ILS?
I checked the airport general ( briefing) and nothing is there ( Prague)

Why are the NDB green on the enrollee charts? ( lisibility?)

Never heard of a part-time navaid until just now. The ILS frequency does indeed have an asterisk beside it (along with the approach and ground frequencies). Perhaps the times would be listed in the NOTAMs?

I imagine green is as good as any other colour...Weren't they also green on the paper charts?

aterpster
13th Mar 2016, 18:44
UHPP is used by some U.S. carriers as an ETOPS diversion alternate. The ILS is part-time. I believe they only turn it on by request.

A and C
20th Mar 2016, 09:26
Part time ILS is usually used in Europe to cut down the number of frequency used and posable interference between airports.

You will find this at places like EGKK, with a single runway the ILS uses the same frequency for both ends of the runway and is switched to the runway in use, hence Jepps consider it to be part time.

aterpster
20th Mar 2016, 13:23
A and C:

Part time ILS is usually used in Europe to cut down the number of frequency used and posable interference between airports.

You will find this at places like EGKK, with a single runway the ILS uses the same frequency for both ends of the runway and is switched to the runway in use, hence Jepps consider it to be part time.

Jeppesen indicates a part-time nav aid by annotating an asterisk to the frequency. I don't see that on the Jeppesen charts for either EGKK or KLAX, where they use the same ILS frequency for both runway ends. I do see it at UHPP because they don't switch the ILS to the other runway end, they shut it down (along with associated NDBs) unless someone needs to use the ILS.

UHPP Jeppesen plan-view:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/UHPP_zpszsvyb26m.jpg

A and C
21st Mar 2016, 10:14
Aterpster.

You are correct, the * has disappeared from the EGKK charts.......... But it was there at one time for the reasons I discribed.

aterpster
21st Mar 2016, 13:53
AandC:

You are correct, the * has disappeared from the EGKK charts.......... But it was there at one time for the reasons I discribed.

Perhaps not in accordance with some ICAO specification? KLAX has three runways that share a common ILS frequency for each runway end. They switch every night. The "*" hasn't been on the KLAX ILS charts ever, to my recollection, which goes way back for that airport (it was my home base).

JammedStab
21st Mar 2016, 15:57
Thanks for the asterisk info. Could someone let me know where Jeppesen publishes their information for the meaning of symbols like this.

bafanguy
21st Mar 2016, 19:15
These links are likely pdf downloads but both worked for me. You may already have this info.

The Jepps Chart Clinic has been around for many years so it might not contain info on some of the latest RNAV stuff but for a basic Jepps review, it can't be beat:

Jeppesen Chart Clinic (http://craigmorton.com/ifr/)

And this is just the Intro Section from the standard Jepps manuals:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/business/ifr-paper-services/glossary-legends.pdf