PDA

View Full Version : 84 Sqn Centenary

84 Sqn ProjO
29th Feb 2016, 13:20
84 Sqn will be 100 years old at the start of 2017 - 'Hoot 'n' Roar'. :)

If you would like to attend the celebrations in either the UK or in sunnier climes, then please PM me for details (including your affiliation to the Sqn).

We are also looking for any Sqn pictures or/and stories from the past. Again please PM if you have any or post here for everyone's enjoyment. :ok:

Thanks.

nyeregis
1st Mar 2016, 11:00
I was a winchman on 84 from Feb78 to Feb 81.

The stand out event for me was the rescue of a USAF pilot who had ejected after a mid air off the coast of Turkey, surprisingly 84's Whirlwind was the nearest rescue helo. Unfortunately I was not involved, the crew were Steve Garrod, Dave Heslam-Eley & Eric Ainslie.

The reported position of the downed pilot was near the extremity of the Whirlwind's range & fuel was topped up at Nicosia, because the route was over northern Cyprus dip clearance was needed & very quickly granted.

There was a USAF C130 orbiting the survivor so location was not a problem & he was recovered & returned Incirlik where the USAF showed their "appreciation". It was a rather tired but triumphant trio who returned to Akrotiri the following day.