PDA

View Full Version : The Military and Pprune

3wheels
26th Feb 2016, 14:52
What the score with current military guys writing on Pprune?

Are ex military guys in the clear?

What about VR(T) or Civilian Instructors as in the Air Caders thread?

diginagain
26th Feb 2016, 15:19
"Don't tell him your name, Pike."

MATELO
26th Feb 2016, 15:24
Are ex military guys in the clear?

Everything posted on here is "in the clear"

Chris Kebab
26th Feb 2016, 15:37
What's your concern 3wheels?

Finningley Boy
26th Feb 2016, 16:33
Zat hiz name vill also go on zer list!:E

FB:)

Union Jack
26th Feb 2016, 16:34
What the score with current military guys writing on Pprune? (sic) -3wheels

This one sounds appropriate enough.....:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RghKdGn8h5A

Mach Two
26th Feb 2016, 17:12
The reason so many of us are very careful about revealing where we're based, what we fly or details about rank or post is to preserve anonymity. We are guarded about commenting on current issues and, as far as I have seen, tread very carefully around sensitive issues and current ops.

Regulations are pretty clear about release of statements by unauthorised MOD spokespersons, let alone contravening the OSA. Even if you assume a non de plume, posting here whilst serving is not without its risks.

So, whilst we're on the subject, it's a good time to remind civvies, fanatics, arm chair generals and FSX pilots why they need to cut us some slack sometimes instead of wheeling out the old "pretending to be an expert while hiding behind security" argument. This forum is, after all, for us.

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2016, 17:26
And for retired there are rules besides the OSA but I am not allowed to tell you if I am applying the rules.

Al R
26th Feb 2016, 17:38
Discretion about your true role and identity is key. In fact, the very words Tim Peake said to me the day before yesterday before my trial HALO descent from ISS.

Echo 5
26th Feb 2016, 17:42
This forum is, after all, for us.

Would be interested to know who " us " is/are. Just asking :)

NutLoose
26th Feb 2016, 17:58
I always work on the principal that I do not discuss my service career and what I worked on / with until it was in the public domain.

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2016, 18:05
Nutloose, quite. Now look at the V-force NBS, woman in Holland has one set up and working. WE177, friend of mine has all the serial numbers and has created a master blockschematic - build your own :)

Stitchbitch
26th Feb 2016, 18:14
Al R, glad to see you made it and that re-entry shield I knocked up for a packet of Jaffa cakes worked as advertised. Your lazer goggles are due maint, please drop them in to section 13. Ta.

Finningley Boy
26th Feb 2016, 18:20
that re-entry shield I knocked up for a packet of Jaffa cakes worked as advertised.

Should that be from rather than for?:}

Sloppy Link
26th Feb 2016, 18:44
Correct first time, Jaffa cakes are an internationally recognised currency albeit not as a longer term investment. They certainly don't last long in my house.

Finningley Boy
26th Feb 2016, 19:00
I just thought SB was hinting at his prowess with unlikely materials by using them to build really cool high tech stuff only he'd fallen victim to a typo!:}

Above The Clouds
26th Feb 2016, 19:15
Are ex military guys in the clear

I could tell you everything, but, then of course I would have to kill you :E

MPN11
26th Feb 2016, 19:47
I always work on the principal that ...
By their words shall ye know them. ;) ;)

Some choose their privacy, for whatever reason [all of which are valid, as it's their choice].
Some really don't care.
Some can't type well enough to reveal anything ;)

I signed the OSA, and had a rather high clearance for certain information. I still wince slightly when it's mentioned in the Daily Mail :E
Matters concerning Military catering are not for Public consumption, IMO.

skippedonce
26th Feb 2016, 20:13
Matters concerning Military catering are not for Public consumption, IMO.

And particularly since the introduction of PAYD, from bitter experience often not for military consumption either!

Basil
26th Feb 2016, 20:42
Is the OP a first language English speaker? Hmm?

smujsmith
26th Feb 2016, 20:53
Ahh, you bad lads, extracting the urine like that. Perhaps the OP might like to explain what his query really is. I'm sure that I don't understand the thrust of his question, but am willing to bet it's a question relating to whether serving personnel are more restricted than us "old blokes" with what we disclose. My only contribution must be that in 30 years I was only told what I needed to know, mostly rubbish, and thus can only relate stuff that I experienced directly. If any of that breaks the OSA, then by virtue of the fact that my being "mushroom farmed" ensured I had no idea it was subject to restriction, I can not be held responsible. If any of that makes sense, please don't inform the "powers that be", it might come back to haunt me.

Smudge :ok:

Courtney Mil
26th Feb 2016, 21:27
Would be interested to know who " us " is/are. Just asking

The question was about serving personnel posting on this forum. To respond to your question, I think the answer is obvious, stated in the forum title and made clear in the forum description:

A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

The rest of us are guests, graciously tolerated. M2 may think differently, but I hope he will forgive me for interjecting.

Courtney Mil
26th Feb 2016, 21:37
Smuj,

Good post. I'm reluctant to comment on the OP because he is yet another poster that either can't be bothered to issue a complete profile or has something to hide. For serving personnel here, anonymity is fine although most of them seem happy to declare that they currently serve without revealing their true identity for obvious reasons. Otherwise it's nice to know who you're talking to and what their interest in various topics under discussion.

When challenged to reveal a little about their experience, the angle they're coming from and their intent, many are (for some reason) reluctant to comment.

Two's in
26th Feb 2016, 22:00
The only people who populate the Internet are undercover police officers, perverts and trolls. Everyone else is lying.

MAINJAFAD
26th Feb 2016, 22:32
Nutloose, quite. Now look at the V-force NBS, woman in Holland has one set up and working. WE177, friend of mine has all the serial numbers and has created a master blockschematic - build your own

I have the complete FMCW guidance package from a large green SAM in my garage, just need somebody to put the rest of one on E-bay (I missed out on the 5 that already been sold on that site).

tdracer
26th Feb 2016, 22:35
I think most of us who post meaningful information on PPRuNe do a bit of self-censorship (at least the ones that know what they're talking about :}) - and that's not just in the Military Aviation Forum.

At my day job I'm regularly bombarded with ITAR, EAR, Export Control, and company Proprietary trainings, reminding me what I can and can't talk about away from work (in some cases, I can't even discuss it with co-workers who don't have the "need to know"). So while there are times I dearly want to post in a thread to clear up or correct something that I have first hand knowledge of, but can't (at least not fully).

While I'm on the 'supplier' side of things, I suspect those who are (or have been) in the military are even more aware of the importance of keeping certain information out of the public domain. After all, loose lips sink ships is still true in the generic sense.:rolleyes:

Courtney Mil
26th Feb 2016, 22:47
The only people who populate the Internet are undercover police officers, perverts and trolls. Everyone else is lying.

So which are you?

ShyTorque
26th Feb 2016, 22:50
I signed the OSA, and had a rather high clearance for certain information. I still wince slightly when it's mentioned in the Daily Mail
Matters concerning Military catering are not for Public consumption, IMO

You mean you actually know what was in the NAAFI "meat" pies?

LowObservable
27th Feb 2016, 02:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two's In
So which are you?

The only things to come out of Texas are steers and queers, and I don't see no horns on you, boy.

teeteringhead
27th Feb 2016, 10:09
The only things to come out of Texas are steers and queers, and I don't see no horns on you, boy.

And so this is a Texan......... ????

https://img1.etsystatic.com/029/0/9546265/il_fullxfull.660476129_3nzq.jpg

NutLoose
27th Feb 2016, 11:16
No, that's a self portrait Teetering :p

NutLoose
27th Feb 2016, 11:22
Ahh, you bad lads, extracting the urine like that. Perhaps the OP might like to explain what his query really is. I'm sure that I don't understand the thrust of his question, but am willing to bet it's a question relating to whether serving personnel are more restricted than us "old blokes" with what we disclose.

Smudge

I would imagine security is a nightmare these days, what with digital cameras, mobile phones and flash drives etc, but then again safeguards will increase as the technology did...... Well... unless you're American and called Snowden that is.

Mpn11,
I know where you are coming from re stuff mentioned in the press. This incident I remember well, it made me whine to see it in the public domain and I still find it strange that it was released.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121026065214/http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FreedomOfInformation/DisclosureLog/SearchDisclosureLog/NuclearWeaponIncidentInGermany.htm

Buster Hyman
27th Feb 2016, 11:33
I always work on the principal that I do not discuss my service career and what I worked on / with until it was in the public domain.
http://i.imgur.com/D3IAXvl.jpg

Public Domain. Post away Nutty!

cattletruck
27th Feb 2016, 11:50
What is it about the Military and Pprune?

It gives us some thinking time...

http://web.comhem.se/elggren/fer/gb_Latrin.jpg

Pontius Navigator
27th Feb 2016, 18:15
Ah, the internet.

I recall over 50 years ago on an opdet the sqn cdr summoned all of us go a briefing where he set out what we were doing both on the field and off.

Most guys were bored being told what we already knew UNTIL he told us that his information came from his wife 6000 miles away - wives grape vine and spy in the camp.

One of our number was just too honest and gossiped with the missus.

But back to the OP, many stories are lines, one line most of us don't cross is telling tales (names, especially derogatory - if you don't know who Gimlet, then you won't find out here).

romeo bravo
27th Feb 2016, 19:08
Interesting how 3wheels picked up on a thread which has turned into a slanging match over an ongoing issue out of the control of anyone on this forum; with many of the respondents not even in the present ACO, so with little understanding of the present situation.

Personally, be careful what you say on any forum as it could be taken as slander.....

NutLoose
27th Feb 2016, 19:16
There is nothing wrong with washing pots and pans Buster, it is a honourable profession, mind you, your cleaning job in the military took some licking..... :E

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/fLY_KJusJFY/0.jpg

Jetblu
27th Feb 2016, 19:56
'Courtney Mil', 'Smujsmith' and others have smelt the rat whilst 'Two's in' has made the direct hit by description.

Don't bite lads. It is highly probable and almost certain that the OP is the reincarnation of a disgraced prolific poster
who has now been allowed out.

Buster Hyman
27th Feb 2016, 23:22
Mmmm, that was a good day Nutty...delicious!

The Old Fat One
28th Feb 2016, 07:32
Sorry to bring boredom to an entertaining thread, but I am motivated by spite, since once again the vastly overrated Jaffa Cake has been bigged up, which as a chocolate hob nob man, always nibbles my nuts.

Nobody signs the OSA. Some people sign a document saying they understand the OSA (which is pretty pointless as ignorance of it is not a defence) but the OSA applies to every UK citizen...which kinda completely answers OPs question.

And I knew this a long time before the internet, wiki and pprune were invented.

As I'm sure you all do as well.

Time for a hob nob.

Stitchbitch
28th Feb 2016, 08:48
Sorry to bring boredom to an entertaining thread, but I am motivated by spite, since once again the vastly overrated Jaffa Cake has been bigged up, which as a chocolate hob nob man, always nibbles my nuts.

Nobody signs the OSA. Some people sign a document saying they understand the OSA (which is pretty pointless as ignorance of it is not a defence) but the OSA applies to every UK citizen...which kinda completely answers OPs question.

And I knew this a long time before the internet, wiki and pprune were invented.

As I'm sure you all do as well.

Time for a hob nob.

Chocolate hob nobs...those were the days. I hope this doesn't land me in the clink for breaking the OSA, but most aircrew t-bars didn't stock 'em, and as most aircrew were notorious skinflints when it came to 'payment in kind' then Jaffa cakes it was..one could argue that this reflected the quality of my badge stitching. One notable honourable exception to this rule of thumb being the pilots and aircrew of the old aeroplane squadron...mmm cadburys chocolate fingers!

Pontius Navigator
28th Feb 2016, 09:32
TOFO, quite, signed a form when I joined, when I left, when I rejoined and probably in between. Somewhere I have a copy of the first.

When I finally departed they sent me yet another OSA form amongst others. I filled out my pension request, bank details etc and binned the rest. No one checked.

Now it would be a good SAR to ask for a copy of each form I signed :). If they can't find it then there would have been no point whatever.

SOSL
28th Feb 2016, 10:18
OSA is for life not just for Christmas.

Rgds SOS

NutLoose
28th Feb 2016, 12:09
"When I finally departed they sent me yet another OSA form amongst others. I filled out my pension request, bank details etc and binned the rest. No one checked."

They handed over my medical records in a sealed envelope that I proceeded to open in front of them.... "you cannot do that" they said, "watch me" I replied...
MO was really pissed off LOL

Stanwell
28th Feb 2016, 12:34
And they're still at it - to this day.
Accessing what's REALLY on your file is a criminal offence, y'know.
How many otherwise bright career prospects have been dashed or simply withered on the vine because the subject was unaware of what had been written, years before, by somebody who was subsequently 'scheduled'?
It happened to a friend of ours.

The Oberon
28th Feb 2016, 12:40
And they're still at it - to this day.
Accessing what's REALLY on your file is a criminal offence, y'know.
How many otherwise bright career prospects have been dashed or simply withered on the vine because the subject was unaware of what had been written, years before, by somebody who was subsequently 'scheduled'?
It happened to a friend of ours.
Scheduled or sectioned??

Stanwell
28th Feb 2016, 12:48
Sorry TO, I was using the civvy term.
The person responsible for the particular report referred to was subsequently discharged as 'medically unfit', if you catch my drift.

Pontius Navigator
28th Feb 2016, 13:00
Stan,

Yes, quite a few of my ROs subsequently crashed and burnt. I crossed my new sqn cdr - I was disloyal asking to be relieved of my job as sqn adjt after 2 years with a posting pending. Now I was taught that a secondary duty such as that should have been for 6 months. His sqn was disbanded so he was given a consolation posting to HQ NEAF. After 6 months his gp capt had him 1020'd.

The next RO was a complete nutter and subsequently died of a brain tumour, I don't know if there was a connection.

Later, I must admit, the crop of SOs did seem to improve but there were still some.

Stanwell
28th Feb 2016, 13:23
Hmm. Thanks, PN.
Our mate, who's now in poor health, ended up having a pretty fulfilling life and doesn't really want to know.
It's his son, though, that wants to pursue the matter.
My advice to him over Christmas was to leave it go - at least until your old man has passed on.
He needs all the quality of life he can get at the moment.