PDA

View Full Version : Sea King HAS 2 cockpit switches

Fake Sealion
25th Feb 2016, 16:28
I did (most of !!) the 706 NAS Sea King course over 30 years ago and have recently bought the excellent Haynes Sea King "Owners Manual". Reading this has prompted a few questions which elude my memory!

1 What is the function of the start delete switches?

2 Is there an "ignition" switch per engine separate from the start button on the SSLs?

3 Is there a "computer" switch per engine - fuel computer perhaps?

4 What is the "flight idle" switch? What does it do ?

5 What does "check nulls" mean in the checklist?

6 The hand written notes I have found from those far off days include "HGS" checks between the Head Check section and Start Engine 2 section - What is HGS and what are those checks?

All assistance gratefully received !

sycamore
25th Feb 2016, 18:35
1 .For a vent run only.
2.yes
3 yes
4 to prevent the engines going to sub-idle during autos,or prevent manual throttle below `surge ERPM`,about 16-17000rpm.Selected in,after rotor engagement.( dolls-eye,IN/OUT Underneath..?)
5.Checking the ASE/A/P indicator `null` for the range of authority of the channels;little `trim `wheels for setting them.
6 `Horizons and Gyro system checks....?
Of course I will probably be shot-down as an ex-crab....

Fake Sealion
26th Feb 2016, 07:15
Thanks Sycamore.

The thumb wheels you refer to. Are they on the AFCS panel and are the nulls checked on the cross wire circular dial adjacent to it?

Recall the term vent run. Is this an engine run which turns the compressor stages with the fuel system/ignition inactive ? Would this be achieved via normal engine start buttons on SSL but with ignition and computer switches off and start delete on, plus of course fuel firewall valve off

It's interesting to read through the aircrew manual for the H-3 which doesn't seem to have ignition, computer or flight idle switches but does have emergency start controls. Does the Westland Sea King have emergency start ?

skadi
26th Feb 2016, 07:21
The thumb wheels you refer to. Are they on the AFCS panel and are the nulls checked on the cross wire circular dial adjacent to it?

Yes

skadi

John Eacott
26th Feb 2016, 08:11
I did (most of !!) the 706 NAS Sea King course over 30 years ago

Course? You did a course?! 46 years ago we were shown the airframe in the hangar and then the checklist on the ramp :cool:

26th Feb 2016, 08:36
Does the Westland Sea King have emergency start ? Not as such but you can start it in manual control using the manual throttle and then re-engage computer control once at ground idle.

Fake Sealion - if the HAS 2 has the same Gnome engine and fuel computer as the Mk3 and 3A, the Light Up Sensor delete switch was used for very low OAT starts. The fuel computer looks for specific Ng and PTIT levels before it allows the throttle to open and accelerate from min flow to flight idle - the LUS delete deselects that function.

TorqueOfTheDevil
26th Feb 2016, 09:46
6 The hand written notes I have found from those far off days include "HGS" checks between the Head Check section and Start Engine 2 section - What is HGS and what are those checks?

These are the functionals, namely Hydraulics, Generators and Stab (the mnemonic Helicopter Ground School was once offered).

Does the Westland Sea King have emergency start ?

It does actually (sorry Crab) as shown by the presence of two Emergency Start switches just above the Ignition Test. Selecting these on allows you to bypass all the start interlocks (FARTing and FASTing as per Rob Brown's lessons at Culdrose!) apart from the Flight Idle Stops :8

Snarlie
26th Feb 2016, 13:51
Eacs baby,

You obviously slept through the very well prepared tech lectures delivered by the likes of Roy Swales, Peter Harper and their merry band of IFTU stalwarts. This would explain why you had to be retrained from scratch when you came to 826 Squadron.

26th Feb 2016, 14:12
TOTD - absolutely right old chap I had forgotten about those:ok:

TorqueOfTheDevil
26th Feb 2016, 14:30
Don't worry Crab, you have forgotten more than I will ever know ;)

cattletruck
27th Feb 2016, 10:47
recently bought the excellent Haynes Sea King "Owners Manual".

I too was intrigued by these recently released Haynes manuals and was tempted to buy one but they are pricey. There is even one on the Spitfire. My initial thoughts were that they would be very general in the detail, but judging by this thread it looks as if I my assumptions could be wrong.