PDA

View Full Version : Brexit and the UK CAA/EASA

Geoffersincornwall
23rd Feb 2016, 16:35
Will those that know about these things share their views on how a UK departure from the EU is likely to affect the lives of those that aviate or work for commercial organisations involved in aviation.

Thanks

G.

Barney238
23rd Feb 2016, 17:18
Not necessarily and not likely either. It is still very well possible to take part in EASA for example, while not an EU member. There are several examples of that.
It is required however that EASA rules (being EU law) are incorporated under national (UK) legislation.
From a commercial point of view, there will not be changes either I think.

lowfat
23rd Feb 2016, 17:23
cant see us going back to BCARs it will stay as it is but the CAA will increase charges by a fictitious amount..... because it can.

Geoffersincornwall
23rd Feb 2016, 17:28
One presumes that the UK CAA will at least regain control of the UK offshore operations in the North Sea.

G.

Barney238
23rd Feb 2016, 17:33
Only when they quit EASA...:rolleyes:

mdovey
23rd Feb 2016, 18:21
Those who are in favour of a brexit on the basis of regaining regulatory control might be surprised by the number of international regulatory bodies such as EASA (and the court of human rights) where the UK membership is completely independent of EU membership.

A more serious impact of a brexit could be the need for UK citizens to get a work visa to work in continental Europe. This could make it difficult for UK pilots to get jobs on the continent unless there is a shortage of suitably qualified pilots on the continent.

Also those already working on the continent may end up needing to apply for a work visa in order to keep their jobs (and this would apply to a whole range of jobs not just aviation).

Matthew

Barney238
23rd Feb 2016, 18:43
In case of a BREXIT, one still would expect the UK to continue as member in the EEA (European Economic Area), which would allow cross-border labor in the EU without too many restrictions.

Same again
23rd Feb 2016, 18:55
There are far, far fewer British pilots working in Europe than European pilots working in UK.

Never Fretter
23rd Feb 2016, 18:57
To be a member of the EEA you need to be in the EU or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), which we left in 1973.

Joining EFTA would need a treaty and potentially some extensive negotiation at a time we would also have to put bilaterials and treaties in place for a vast range of other matters (like any flight by a UK airline between two EU locations).

EFTA states adopt almost all the relevant EU legislation other than laws regarding agriculture and fisheries. BREXIT pretty much makes the UK ineligible to be an EFTA member too!

So you can expect what you want just expect to be dsappointed.

Hompy
24th Feb 2016, 08:19
Same again "There are far, far fewer British pilots working in Europe than European pilots working in UK."

Are you sure about that? Where do you get your figures or is it just a feeling?

jimf671
24th Feb 2016, 09:46
Those who are in favour of a brexit on the basis of regaining regulatory control MIGHT BE SURPRISED by the number of international regulatory bodies such as EASA (and the court of human rights) where the UK membership is completely independent of EU membership. ... ...

.... will be shocked ... :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

747 jock
25th Feb 2016, 22:44
"There are far, far fewer British pilots working in Europe than European pilots working in UK."

Are you sure about that? Where do you get your figures or is it just a feeling?

I think that it's a reasonable assumption to make.
Which do you think is more likely to be higher, the number of pilots from one country (the UK) who are working in the rest of the EU or the number of pilots from the rest of the EU (27 countries) working in the UK?

I personally know at least 12 pilots (and that's just those that I can remember off the top of my head) from an EU country other than the UK who are currently employed here on permanent contracts but I can only think of 4 who have left the UK and are working in mainland Europe.

GoodGrief
26th Feb 2016, 06:41
Don't worry, Switzerland isn't member of the EU but is part of EASA and has special work permit arrangements with the other countries.
It is fairly easy do move house to Switzerland and work there. Same will apply to the UK.

Rigga
4th Mar 2016, 20:01
This question was raised at a recent CAA engineer Seminar and the answer was (almost) this:
The CAA legal bods have not yet determined that there would be any real effect or not, but that their current impression is that nothing should change.

My opinion, not that I have any sway in these things, is that there should not be any difference in our current agreements/arrangements with EASA. Whether the CAA feels a need to bolster its controls on their own levels of concern is another question, but any increase in staffing or levels of oversight would not be funded/aided by EASA...meaning fund raising through UK fees.

SWBKCB
5th Mar 2016, 08:35
There seems to be a common misconception in all the many Brexit threads that the EU is responsible for everything with "Europe" or "European" in the title - it isn't.

The vote is to leave the EU, not Europe.

Geoffersincornwall
5th Mar 2016, 09:00
True but then again EASA is born out of the EU desire to regulate everything to do with transport within the member states. That others wish to use EASA as their own regulator is a reflection of the JAA philosophy. JAA however was a 'club' with members signing up to this and that aspect of JARS. Under EASA states have no choice. It is the law.

G.

mickjoebill
7th Mar 2016, 00:35
What about the moving of spare parts between UK and the continent?

More customs checks and paperwork?
For temporary importation of goods will the ATA Carnet (or that EC specific version) make an unwelcome return?

Mickjoebill

John R81
8th Mar 2016, 06:48
Article here covering traffic rights after Brexit. Of more interest to big tin than helicopters.

Herbert Smith Freehills - Aviation (http://www.herbertsmithfreehills.com/insights/issues/uk-exit-sector-by-sector/tabs/aviation?wtr=brexit-hub-sectors-aviation)

Evil Twin
8th Mar 2016, 10:33
BREXIT, that has to have been invented by a tabloid newspaper....