PDA

View Full Version : Jerez...info....please!

kebabman
7th Feb 2002, 02:01
I am hoping to start in Jerez either at the end of this year, or start of next, and I was just wandering what it's like. I've been told the (what should be important) stuff like how many hours we receive, the flying conditions, but I want to find out (the stuff that's really important) about lifestyle on site. For example about the amount of time you end up studying per night, if you get to go out, sleeping situations (sharing etc..) attitude of instructors and could anyone could tell me a normal schedule of when doing groundschool and when flying. Thanks again all! - kebabman

ElNino
7th Feb 2002, 15:15
Kebabman:

Time studying: Mostly an hour or two most nights, then coming up to exams obviously more. Nothing too excessive.

Get to go out: Absolutely. Some people hardly ever went out, some never left the bar. Most though managed a couple of nights a week. The beer is cheap, the nights are long and the brothel 10 mins walk away was always "interesting"! Nightlife in Jerez can be fairly dead, but when you're drunk... In the summer, everyone goes out in El Puerto (like the Costa's for the Spanish), about 20 mins taxi away.

Sleeping situations: Individual, en suite rooms. Rooms themselves are nice, whether you get any sleep or not depends what building you're in. The original one has walls like paper, the newer ones are somewhat more soundproofed.

Attitude of instructors: Generally good, tho I believe all the best ones have left since I was there. Some (for some read most, and this includes senior FI's) of the QFI's have unfortunately a less than professional attitude about talking about students in front of others. . .However, put the effort in and don't act the tosser and they'll do their best to see you through.

Schedule:. .Either full time flying or GS or Integrated. Integrated, day flying, followed by day classes. . .After all exams, frequently flying at weekends. Coming up to tests, probably end up flying 7 per week.

BillyFish2
7th Feb 2002, 15:36
Cheers El Nino,

Most of that is music to my ears. I am all for serious studying 4 or 5 nights week but a man has got to get out and about once in a while. Not too sure about the brothel just now...

My girlfriend is thinking about staying in Cadiz/Jerez for 5 or 6 weeks in the autumn - about a month after I start up. I'm pretty sure I'd be lucky to see her more than 2 or 3 times a week (weekends probably as first 5 months is groundschool). Would I be right?

Tell us, outside of Xmas and Easter did you get any long weekends that would have given you enough time to get back to UK (or Ireland!) for a 2 or 3 nights? Not too bothered if answer is no, only committed myself to return to Xmas.

ElNino
7th Feb 2002, 20:14
BF2. .check your pprune email.

BillyFish2
7th Feb 2002, 20:58
Thanks for that ElNino - e-mailed you back.

kebabman
15th Feb 2002, 23:06
Would it be possible for me to be involved in this e-mail?! Im always up for holidays! -as for holidays, how long do you get off over the 18 or so months...how long is it exactly? -ab initio that is, cheers kebabman