PDA

View Full Version : AW-189 Structural Issues

The Sultan
7th Feb 2016, 00:32
Hearing rumors 189's are already experiencing airframe cracks. Any truth to this?

The Sultan

tottigol
7th Feb 2016, 02:50
No, just some cheap American made lining material had to be replaced by better made parts made in Poland.

lowfat
7th Feb 2016, 10:55
There is a reason A sns operator has replaced them with a 225... and it ant broken trim!

HLCPTR
7th Feb 2016, 13:14
Dosed anyone know of any new rotorcraft which hasn't had some early teething problems?

Why does any operator buy into a new design? Generally, expected competitive or performance advantage.

In doing so, the operator usually receives certain benefits:
- Purchase discounts
- Extended warranties (including free site support)
- Direct input into product improvements and development

But also accepts certain realities:
- Finding all the early weak spots in the design
- Decreased dispatch rates
- Need for back-up capability

An educated gamble, at best.

laurenson
16th Feb 2016, 11:04
Dosed anyone know of any new rotorcraft which hasn't had some early teething problems?
I don't hear such issues about H175.
Moreover, I have heard that a 24 inches crack had been found on an AW189 mechanical deck in early 2015.
AW has always had crack on their new aircraft due to vibration management issues, remember AW139 tail boom cracks. However, the company know how to manage them and now the AW139 is one of the best helo. I think AW will do the same for the AW189

lowfat
16th Feb 2016, 14:34
In all fairness whilst you are correct that no issues have been made public about the 175.
I would like to point out its initial operation was highly managed by airbus to
the point that most of its early operations were maintained by Airbus employees not NHV... while nice to see a manufacturer providing an excellent service not a true reflection of normal operation.
IF that is still the case I know not.

Greeny9
16th Feb 2016, 15:13
NHV did the maintenance in DHR. At times assisted by AH employees, none of which had any licence or approval to certify the work carried out.
The main support from AH was a dedicated contact for any technical issues not yet covered in the manuals.

lowfat
16th Feb 2016, 18:10
thanks for clearing that up

AW189
10th Jul 2016, 10:33
I have over 700 hours in the AW189 its a great machine the machines I have flown have not experienced any cracks yet?

Greasyshortshaft
10th Jul 2016, 10:58
Am quite sure AW are all over this.

Satcomm
10th Jul 2016, 17:36
S61,S92,Super Puma have all had their share of cracks/structural issues as well. No biggie, beef it up and wait for it to show up somewhere else!

TorqueOfTheDevil
18th Jul 2016, 12:53
There is a reason A sns operator has replaced them with a 225... and it ant broken trim!

Presumably they have changed fleets again. Difficult times...