PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Scenarios

1 Fog Ducker
5th Feb 2016, 20:36
Hello,

I have a favor to ask of the community. I'm currently in the process of an upgrade evaluation and will be in the Sim at the end of February for an evaluation of PIC decisions in various emergencies.

I'm looking for any scenarios real life or Sim that anyone has experienced to dive my head into and just help prep my thinking and reactions and thought process. I'd prefer scenarios that are related to Multi Engine IFR world. If it helps the Sim is for AW139.

Unfortunately with technology and in the Multi engine IFR world, compared to VFR world, it seems gone are the days of the PPC's of sitting around with 20 other pilots and sharing real world experiences and learning from others misfortune.....miss those days.

Thanks in advance!

6th Feb 2016, 08:59
Great Pprune handle 1FD - the Rev Spooner would have approved:ok:

GipsyMagpie
6th Feb 2016, 21:05
If you want real life IFR malfs that you want to run through in the sim?

This one happened. Night, IMC, icing, AFCS fully coupled. Then all the pitot/static heat failed at once. A short while later the IAS dropped to zero and the AFCS decided to try to get its speed back by suddenly pitching nose down. From fully coupled calm to UA in a few seconds.

Flying Bull
8th Feb 2016, 07:05
Just stay calm - first fly the aircraft...

A session can be long - so donīt get caught out by previos "minor" emergencies...

i.e. Bat hot - so switched of

Gen - couldnīt be resetted - so switched of

setting up the approach

Eng Fire - engine secured - and suddenly all was black.....

thought, the fire resulted from the faulty Gen - but it was the other engine.....
Nice chain of events - with thinking before switching would have avoided embarressment ;-)

EN48
8th Feb 2016, 14:37
While fixed wing instead of helicopter related, this article makes very important points about the mental aspects of dealing with emergencies, especially those "outside the box." IMO, one of the better treatments of this topic I have seen. By Fred George and appears in the latest BCA issue here: Crunch Time In The Cockpit Tests CRM | Business Aviation content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/crunch-time-cockpit-tests-crm)

You may need to register to read the article, but registration is free and you will be be glad you did! :ok:

As a "victim" of sim sessions at Flight Safety, SimCom, and CAE SimuFlite, I think there is a mindset that emerges, mostly inadvertently, along the lines of "What must I do to get through this sim session?" Of course we all want to do well in the sim, but this line of thinking tends to disconnect what happens in the sim from the real world. IMO, important to work at keeping a global view of training and how it relates to flying the acft in real day-to-day conditions.

1 Fog Ducker
8th Feb 2016, 17:38
All good stuff! I appreciate it all thanks.