PDA

View Full Version : Costs of becoming an instructor

Tiger_ Moth
6th Feb 2002, 19:21
My plan is to get a job and save up to be a flying instructor but how much would this cost?. .I want to be a club level instructor doing PPLs etc and flying SE or maybe small twin planes. I heard that you need a minimum of 200 hours. Is this true? . .So, given that when I started Id have maybe about 30 - 50 hours on Tiger Moths so would have nearly (or might actually) have a PPL how many more hours would it probably take and how much would it COST with all the hidden extras included? . .I also heard that they won't let you do it where you progress at your own pace but that you have to go to a full time flying school. Is that true?

sickBocks
6th Feb 2002, 21:01
I had a look on the CAA's website (www.srg.caa.co.uk) but there appears to be no reference to Flying Instructor Rating requirements at present. Your best bet would be to email them: [email protected]

I think 200hours total is required. You also need a CPL in order to instruct for reward, hence you have to look up the requirements for CPL issue (roughly 200hrs total + 100hrs PIC + the theory work, see the CAA website once again).

All Flight Crew Licencing Requirements can be found in JAR-FCL1 (which you should find lurking about at your local flying club).

The actual Flying Instructor Course can be completed at any of these FTOs: <a href="http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf" target="_blank">www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf</a> [Page 4].

The courses can be achieved either full-time or part-time and presently cost between £4500 and £6000.

Sorry the info is a bit vague but hope it's useful nonetheless.

sB

[ 06 February 2002: Message edited by: sickBocks ]</p>