PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow's "Ace" Retires

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Jun 2002, 14:52
END OF AN ERA – ACE RETIRES

Monday 24th June, 2002, will be a sad day for Heathrow ATC – it’s the day when one of the greatest characters ever to work there finally hangs up his headset. Ace was just about the longest continuously valid Heathrow radar controller – well over 30 years fully operational; he was also valid for 23 years in the Tower before us radar controllers were transported to West Drayton Open prison for misbehaviour!

He was one of the last Heathrow ATC “legends”; not only could he tell stories all night but many of his colleagues could spend all night telling stories about his escapades too. Who forgot G-AVMR? Who put the estate agent’s “For Sale” sign on T4 the night it opened? Who was behind the gnome near the windsock? Who instituted the “beetroot game” during the tower roof bar-b-q’s? Who used a megaphone to announce arriving aircraft from the top of the tower to the pax outside T2? Who also used to megaphone to demonstrate his encyclopaedic knowledge of train announcements in the Approach Room? Who’s incredible memory made Leslie Welsh look like a man with amnesia?

Working alongside Ace, as I did for some 28 years, was amazing and the fun we had was enormous. One only had to hum a few bars of a 60’s pop tune or TV ad and Ace would respond by singing the whole number! Some Heathrow controllers may remember “The Laughing Policeman” game... and we used to bicker about who’s turn it was to sing the ritual 1001 Carpet Cleaner song whenever Virgin 1001 or KLM 1001 appeared on our frequency.

Ace’s R/T was sometimes slightly non-standard. Often conveying what was in his mind: “Leave LAM heading 270; I’m doing you next”, or “you’re a long way from touchdown”. For me, one of his best was fairly recent: To a Speedbird who’s callsign was the reverse of one ahead: “Caution, you’re following a Palindrome on the approach”.

For the past eight years the Heathrow ATC Nostalgia evenings have been held at Highfield Park. This is when ex-Heathrow ATC staff get together and tell hairy stories which newspaper hacks would give their eye-teeth to hear! It only takes a pint or two to get Ace going and he has been the star story-teller at each gathering, largely due to his remarkable recall of events from yonks past. One of his best was about something which happened whilst he was training back in the mid-60s, with a renowned Irish training officer. Whilst Ace was working inbound traffic off Watford (now BNN), his training officer gabbled something to a Viscount… whereupon the said aeroplane turned straight towards the field. A few minutes later it landed on 28R and the training officer explained that he had bet the crew £5 they couldn’t land without receiving the middle marker! Try that nowadays!

Ace has the most extraordinary temperament I have ever encountered – always the same, jovial, laughing personality greatly admired and loved by all his colleagues from the most senior managers to the most junior newcomers. It used to take him half an hour to leave the room on his breaks because everyone wanted to talk to him, and he to them.

Ace’s “South London” and slightly (!) non-standard R/T may still be heard - for some years he has been a member of the IAT ATC team and expects to continue as long as he holds his licence.

We’re having a farewell bash for Ace in August but this is a public farewell to a very dear mate who will be very, very much missed.

Mr_Grubby
23rd Jun 2002, 15:44
ACE RETIRES

I have known Ace for the best part of 30 years.
Who could forget the football trips in the early 70s.
He will be missed.
Enjoy your retirement mate,
We need characters like you in ATC to keep us sane.

Scott Voigt
23rd Jun 2002, 17:26
So, what is IAT ATC???

regards

U R NumberOne
23rd Jun 2002, 17:41
Scott, IAT stands for the International Air Tattoo - the largest military airshow in the UK, usually taking place at RAF Fairford. Civvie controllers help to provide the service during the weekend.

I'll also add my best wishes to Ace. I don't know him but I've worked with many like him who have worked through a much better era in this business and most of whom have also retired.

BLK 33
23rd Jun 2002, 21:18
HD
Wow, this takes me back. Always entertaining to hear him on the r/t. Those were the good old days.

Whilst the original gnome has long since disappeared when the windsock moved as a result of the new crossing point at 86 being built (said gnome has since been replaced by several usurpers ) the daffodils, which I guess he planted, still appear faithfully every year - they hadn't been there the year before he left! They're still where the original 'sock was before it was moved for wingtip clearance.

After a foray by 'Pixie' on his last day, I always remember the note left with the gnome - "AC (start and end dates at LHR) - I was happy here". Always struck me as quite sad.

We only ever spoke over the r/t or 'phone but always a pleasure to deal with. Things ain't been the same since.

May it be a long and happy one.

evenflow
23rd Jun 2002, 23:25
Does this now mean we can expect proper three mile gaps to get the 747s across 27L. Only jokin' ACE, we'll miss ya..Y'ello

Fallows
24th Jun 2002, 04:42
I worked with ACE Carter at LHR as well, one of the nicest guys it has been my pleasure to work with. Al is a real chracter which are getting fewer and fewer unfortunately!
If you read this Al, I hope that you enjoy your retirement and I look forward to seeing you at Woking when Northwich are playing there.

shack
24th Jun 2002, 09:24
Best of luck AC from someone who trained you (and married someone from your course)

surfingatco
24th Jun 2002, 10:07
HD - nicely said. It brought a tear to my eye, it did. Al always had the appropriate amusing instant response to a pilot the rest of us mortals think of 10 minutes later. He'll be sorely missed. Could he be persuaded to bring out a Bunny Gunson type CD perhaps?

TC_LTN
25th Jun 2002, 09:30
Picture the scene. The Heathrow positions in the TC Ops Room suitably decorated with balloons and banners. The manning is manipulated to ensure ACE is plugged in on 120.4 as BAW2 arrives downwind. Much behind the scenes co-ordination has taken place to ensure the Concorde Captain is suitably briefed. As BAW2 is transferred to ACE, a discrete squawk is selected to display 'BYEACE' on the radar. By this time the majority of the other positions in the Ops Room have 120.4 selected to listen in. An Air Canada passes on his best wishes and ACE explains that he is his 'penultimate aircraft'. Air Canada asks if this means he is ACE's last??:rolleyes:
BAW2 then passes on his best wishes for ACE's retirement after a long career. ACE corrects the Captain as to just how long it really has been and manages to retain his composure long enough to clear BAW2 to land (by special arrangement with the Arrivals Controller at the Tower) A loud cheer and much clapping is heard around the Ops Room and ACE has worked his last movement in full-time employment. We all finish the Afternoon Duty and retire to the George in Colnbrook. A massive turnout for a big character. ACE relays a few more 'war stories', makes an impromptu speech to the assembled mass and we say our 'first' goodbye to much loved friend and colleague. (Can't wait for the real party!!)

ace freighters
25th Jun 2002, 16:13
I know Fallows (up the Vics!), Shack (Vive La France), my mate at Luton and the instigator of this topic. To the rest of you Grubby, Block 33 etc, thank you for the interest. Yesterday I had a great afternoon duty culminating in my Watch arranging for BAW2 to be my last turn-on. Coincidentally, it was Conc 'AD' who starred in the Jubilee Flypast, which I was also involved in. Anyway, I kept him on the frequency and was able to give him landing clearance and QSY to 121.9 after landing. He replied' "I didn't know you could see from there!" I replied, "Yes, we have a giant periscope which we use occasionally". I think he believed me! Funnily enough, the penultimate turn-on was ACA868, who joined in to the extent that I nearly forgot to put him over to the tower. Can you imagine the uproar if he had gone around. My last act would be writing a 1261 as I left the building for the last time.

Thanks all you 'nutters' for taking an interest. I may write again.

:eek:

Nogbad the Bad
25th Jun 2002, 17:03
Do write again ACE......just cuz you've retired (lucky sod) you won't forget how to tipe :D :D :D :D

All the very best !!!!!

Mr_Grubby
25th Jun 2002, 17:16
ACE.
You know me. I only live about 3 miles from you.

Our kids went to the same school. Don't you remember me selling you raffle tickets at the annual fashion show.

I am about 2 months behind you. My time is up Aug 31st.

Hope we will meet in retirement somewhere, !!!

Mr Grubby.

250 kts
25th Jun 2002, 17:23
ACE.

When is the next LHR evening at highfield being held. It would be good to know so some of your mates from the Costa del Swanwick can come to wish you all the very best.

ace freighters
25th Jun 2002, 20:18
250kts
Pete Bish's next Highfield bash is destined for Nov.18. Iwould love to just sit and heckle but I expect I'll be lured up to narate the same old stories.You can only have so many incidents.
Mr.Grubby I think you were a bouncer not a raffle ticket seller.

riccarter
25th Jun 2002, 22:20
You can't retire yet! you still have 2 sons, 1 daughter, 2 daughters-in law, three grandchildren and a wife to support!
Good luck Dad,
Love Richard, David, Sally, Angela, Amanda, Luke, Samuel and Amber;)

ex-EGLL
26th Jun 2002, 00:05
So the 'dreaded' day finally came ACE, glad they managed to arrange a little something to keep you occupied (coincidence the penultimate was an Air Canada?!?!?). Anyway, have a good and long retirement, and thanks for training back in '78.

Glad Lyn and I got to see you at HD's on our recent trip across the pond. Will try and coordinate the next trip to coincide with one op Petes bashes

ex-EGLL

PPRuNe Radar
26th Jun 2002, 00:10
Congratulations to ACE from all the team at PPRuNe Towers.

Wish you a long, happy, and fruitful retirement with your family.

Best of luck :)

canberra
27th Jun 2002, 17:37
im an ex raf air trafficer, i was just browsing this site, i take back all i ever said about civvy controllers, there are some characters in the civvy world after all!

Wee Jock
1st Jul 2002, 21:53
Ace, you're a top bloke, enjoy your retirement. I'll never forget you and Mr McCartney mucking about in TC with a train whistle and a duck decoy thing. You weren't happy till you had the whole room weeping with laughter. (Still rolling the cans of spaghetti along the console as you transfer the Alitalias, HD?)

Very best wishes, Al, take it easy. XXX
Ex V-Watch member (the Jock bird...)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

PETERJ
3rd Jul 2002, 21:17
Respect and Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!