PDA

View Full Version : Emirates pilot recruitment

Gr8AV8R
1st Feb 2016, 22:45
Hi!
Anyone know where to find/purchase the "Elite Assessment" prep for the Emirates recruitment? Is there any other programs that would help? I have checked the latestpilotjobs.com resources. Is it sufficient/ worth purchasing? After all its only $57 for 3 months.

I would also like to know about the real picture working for Emirates. Is it a good decision to leave my current employer, coz I'll never be able to return once I leave:confused:

Guess that's a lot of questions! Would appreciate some advice.

Thank you and safe flights!

foswillruletheworld
1st Feb 2016, 22:48
With a VERY VERY small search on the forum, you might find about 10 sillions of posts. What is wrong with you? You sign up on the forum and open a thread as it is the "most talked over subject on earth(on this forum)", which means you even haven't taken a shallow look on the threads...

Gr8AV8R
1st Feb 2016, 22:54
Ummm.....I have actually.....but seemed pretty old. I was looking for some more recent reviews. Thanks.

The Outlaw
2nd Feb 2016, 00:30
As foswillruletheworld said,

Take a few seconds of your time and read. In about 2 minutes you will notice that there has been a MARKED downward trend of terms and conditions due to MANY MANY issues...and it continues to only get worse and will continue to get worse for the next 2 years minimum. Once that bottom is achieved I would then be very concerned for the future viability of A) your health and life expectancy, and B) the company's life expectancy.

Pilot's leaving here in droves with some going back home to NO job...what does that tell you.

If you have a decent job in a decent country, I would advise you to stay. There is no grass on this side of the fence...only sand and BS.

The Outlaw.

Versace
2nd Feb 2016, 08:46
If you would like to audition for a **** kickers job in a circus, I highly recommend it... Other wise don't even bother with it. Enough said.

glofish
2nd Feb 2016, 09:00
Great Aviator

Read carefully, but i guess this advice is futile, as these lines will not go through your glasses ...

I recently had a skipper look into the cockpit (mind you: On ground!) and telling us proudly that he will shortly be one of us, applying as a DEC. He was based in a big and fantastic European city, working 6/4/6/3 LHS, short/med lines.
But even showing my roster (95h, 8 days off, 2 ULR, 4 night T/A) and my meagre confirmed leave (20 days up to now) did not ring any tiny bell.

He simply though i was exaggerating!

We make fun of FA who pretend that their Mohamed is different, but pilots are in no way better. :ugh::ugh:

Gr8AV8R
2nd Feb 2016, 14:23
Dear glofish, tirren n outlaw,
Thanks for the heads up!:ok: I have read up on the reviews here. My friend in Emirates is the one who has been encouraging me too apply. He says everything is perfect out there according to him. Besides, I do have a pretty laid back job, like 50hrs a month. But the pay at EK is double than what I get n I hav 3 kids. And the city I live in is one of the worst places on earth!!! So considering all that....I'm still a bit confused. I understand people can't take decisions for me though....

Regards

V1cutz
2nd Feb 2016, 15:17
Your friend says everything is perfect??? You sure he works at EK? More like a perfect storm.

JAARule
2nd Feb 2016, 15:27
GR8AV8R.... if you're coming here from Dhaka then I suspect much of what everyone else complains about here will not bother you. Enjoy the job!
But if, which is just as likely, you're a management troll then you're best off sticking to your Costa latte until 3pm knock off. Another tough day.

Gr8AV8R
2nd Feb 2016, 16:32
Thanks guys, although I have read some of the reviews and endless arguments in other threads....I would still like to ask, wether EK will provide what they are offering on their career page, as in the pay, ie. AED 29700 and all the non cash benefits? Thanks.:confused:

The Outlaw
2nd Feb 2016, 16:38
Troll.....NEXT!

ExDubai
2nd Feb 2016, 16:45
Thanks guys, although I have read some of the reviews and endless arguments in other threads....I would still like to ask, wether EK will provide what they are offering on their career page, as in the pay, ie. AED 29700 and all the non cash benefits? Thanks.
Yes, they provide those benefits. But keep in mind that rules might change....

777boyindubai
2nd Feb 2016, 17:03
There is no pilot at EK who hasn't had their terms changed to the negative who have joined in the last five years. Don't forget the lack of Labour Law. It is only going to get worse.

Gr8AV8R
2nd Feb 2016, 17:04
Change? Really? Coz I've been noticing the same benefits, mainly the non cash ones being offered by most ME airlines for like the past 8 yrs or so....then how is it changing? Does it change for existing employees then?

MosEisley
2nd Feb 2016, 17:06
If all you want is money, there are better options than EK.

And for someone who needs information you sure seem to know it all...

Gr8AV8R
2nd Feb 2016, 17:35
Not really, but the things I think I know contradicts to what I'm hearing here and trying to figure out what is it thats so bad about working for EK. Since moving to EK would be a big step and rather a one way trip for me, like no turning back! And its not the money that I'm concerned about, rather, the villa and children's education is my priority...

Fellowship of the drink
2nd Feb 2016, 17:54
Here are some changes....

Utilities
In my contract EK is supposed to pay for my utilities, but somehow during the financial crisis of 08, they imposed a cap and I am liable to pay if I go over that cap. Read thread on DEWA

Education
EK imposed a 90% cap for which I am liable for the 10% beyond the cap. This was after I signed my contract

Leave
Productivity threshold
Medical benefits (non prescription medicine now chargeable -previously not)

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

There is no reason why you should be asking this question if your supposed friend is working in EK. I wouldn't recommend my friend to work here, you should re-assess your definition of friendship.

Please read the threads in PPRUNE about EK - you have been warned mate

Gr8AV8R
2nd Feb 2016, 18:33
Okay, thanks bro, I'm waiting to meet up with my friend in Dubai next time I'm there and clear things out!

Gr8AV8R
3rd Feb 2016, 04:49
Thanks seaman, seems tight! Have a safe flight!:ok:

andy148
3rd Feb 2016, 05:56
So with all that said about EK only asking for ATPL, do they have an upper age limit? Purely hypothetical?

Wizofoz
3rd Feb 2016, 06:00
It may be on the web-site (hypothetically).

lospilotos
3rd Feb 2016, 06:49
It may be on the web-site (hypothetically).

Hypocritically rather...

Gr8AV8R
3rd Feb 2016, 17:34
Lol!:}............

Gr8AV8R
6th Feb 2016, 10:30
Hi guys!
Just checked the UAE government website! There are new labour law being implemented from Jan 2016! For protection of contracts between employers and employees! You think things might change around there? Just a thought! :ok:

The Outlaw
6th Feb 2016, 10:41
GR8TING...

FOR SALE....One bridge in good location

Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

You don't know anything about this place. Those laws DO NOT apply to EK if they cost the company money. ONLY those laws that take more money FROM YOU to give TO THEM apply.

SILLY YOU!

777boyindubai
6th Feb 2016, 12:15
Great Aviatior,

EK has been around since 1984. Dnata a lot longer. 60000 or so employees and probably the most high profile employer in the UAE. Yet the Labour Law doesn't apply to them. Ask yourself is that by design or not?

Nothing will improve here!

fatbus
6th Feb 2016, 12:28
Why do you say the laws don't apply to EK? If that is the case then nothing is illegal as compared with getting away with not adhering to the laws.

777boyindubai
6th Feb 2016, 13:22
Fatbus. They are semi government. There is no Labour Law applicable to them. If there was I would have sued them in DXB. Was told by a lawyer, they can't be sued here. When was the last time you saw EK in the labour court in Dubai?? They would never survive in another country. It is a frequent management tool to screw pilots.

Pontius
6th Feb 2016, 13:35
You think things might change around there? Just a thought!

You're really grasping at straws aren't you :hmm:

It strikes me that you've already decided you want to work for Emirates and now you're desperately trying to justify that decision by attempting to bury your head in the sand (excuse the semi-pun) and ignore the warnings you're being given here.

I don't work for EK and haven't got a horse in the race but don't come to a forum, ask for thoughts and opinions and then try to pretend the EK guys are all feeding you fabricated tales.

If you're that desperate then take the job but just don't whinge later when what they are telling you turns out to be true :=

Fire Ball XL5
6th Feb 2016, 16:15
Pontius,
Exactly.. these dweebs show up every month or so trying to justify their desire to fly a shiny new jet... without any due diligence to the family and living standards. They will twist every comment to suit their purpose...
"All hail working for the Pharaohs, and their arrogance and greed"...
Come one ...come all... enjoy the ride... but don't expect any sympathy when the walls of reality come crashing down...
... the "lambs of slaughter" keep arriving. <smile for EK Mgt!!!>
Enjoy... ...........Take my 4 stripes.... and have a wonderful time...
I'll take my health, family, and well being long before I bow to the paycheck of these c*ck s krs...
:D

The Outlaw
6th Feb 2016, 17:05
GR8TING,

And there you have it in easy to read short sentences. Pointius sums you up best I think and Fire Ball sums up the general feeling in the ranks.

If you don't want his 4 stripes then take mine. Thats the cost of selling your soul to the devil.

I made the mistake of recommending this place to a (former) friend a long time ago...make of that what you can.

Fellowship of the drink
7th Feb 2016, 05:47
It hits home when you bump into colleagues you haven't seen for a couple of years.

When you see their sunken eyes, their dark eye bags, greying hair and general worn out look, that when it hits you. That is when you realise what we are giving to the company in exchange for the shiny jets, the expat lifestyle in Dubai and the recruitment propaganda. We are exchanging our health for money, and not a lot of it either.

This was once a good company, EK has become arrogant and greedy, they lost compassion and empathy (common in big companies) and they refuse to acknowledge the damage they are doing to their pilot's health.

If you choose to come to EK, do so because you have no other choice, because your health is worth more than 777 or 380 time.

in freedom
7th Feb 2016, 08:31
A word on the legal situation in the UAE. It is not worth figuring out any details once you understand the general concept - everything is geared to their advantage. And everybody is bowing to their rule since there is no legal relief. Obviously they can take their authoritarian rule to any absurd level they want - and they do.
So if you have fallen into the trap of moving to the desert you are free game for any idea they come up with. Or you can leave. Wait a minute there's a bond, an absurd penalty on leaving before 3 months notice, the loss of pension fund and the switching cost for your family. Add it all up and you will see why many guys don't leave even if they desperately want to. But they also didn't get leave or off days to apply somewhere else. So they would also have to leave to no job.

But don't take my word for it. Read what the US State Department and Human Rights Watch have to say.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/236838.pdf
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2016/country-chapters/united-arab-emirates

The only flaw in their perfect authoritarian rule is that they want to run a global business with a shiny brand in a connected world. Look at the Volkswagen scandal and the damage it has done to their business. Now imagine if one day the traveling public will know how EK treat their employees and that it's a threat to flight safety how all the pilots are completely overworked.

That's why I recommend using the platform of the German Pilot Union mentioned in my other thread. These guys know how to run a big media campaign. All you need to do is feed them the ammunition.

Gr8AV8R
7th Feb 2016, 09:34
Hello, yes I've been reading up a lot about Emirates, does sound like a nightmare. After all, all that glitters ain't gold....seems like the silicon in the desert sands or even a mirage! However, since Emirates have significantly reduced their requirements for recruitment, which definitely shows that they're having a hard time finding enough pilots but then again doesn't this also mean they are desperately looking to hire more pilots and with this requirement they should be able to find a lot of pilots then? Don't you think this may be a silent attempt to solve the problems that many of the pilots are facing? If they can actually recruit as many pilots to fulfil the requirement, shouldn't things get a bit more comfortable? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Thanx

ExDubai
7th Feb 2016, 11:32
....If they can actually recruit as many pilots to fulfil the requirement, shouldn't things get a bit more comfortable? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

There's a nice song from a group called Nazareth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGHB1iBY1s

gardenshed
7th Feb 2016, 12:24
Gr8AV8R just man up and join you seem to see EK as some sort of panacea.
You can have my 4 stripes as well and do 100 hrs a month plus in a big shiny A380, there how's that for you.:ugh:

Gr8AV8R
7th Feb 2016, 23:34
Hahaha! You guys...really do have a good sense of humour! Lol! I'm related to mannagent?? Lol! Nice song though...just that, I had always dreamt about working for Emirates some day, living in a villa by the beach(like my EK friend told me) and drive a convertible along the coastlline, top down....I have worked for 4 different companies, flown 1000s of hours through thunderstorms without a wx radar, gps, yd or even an autopilot on a dash-8. I slowly worked my way up, now happily flying a wide body for our national carrier doing 50 hours n minimum 48 hrs layovers, if I stick around, I'll be on a brand new 777_300er within the next 6 months! But always looking up to EK pilots, n finally now that the opportunity is knocking at my door, I hear the inside story, my dreams come crashing down. And I'm an object of mockery to the people I looked up to...guess thats life....but hey! thanks for the warning guys....:(

Odins Raven
9th Feb 2016, 14:48
.just that, I had always dreamt about working for Emirates some day, living in a villa by the beach(like my EK friend told me) and drive a convertible along the coastlline, top down....(

Are you sure you are an airline pilot? No one I ever knew achieved that through aviation... maybe your friend is one of the EK pilots involved in pushing this Ponzi scheme to naive young cabin crew members?

BYMONEK
9th Feb 2016, 17:47
Odins Raven

I guess coming from 'oop North' it is somewhat difficult to imagine beach front villas and top down motoring, especially in February! :ooh:

For the record, I know of at least 2 pilots, one B777 & the other 380 who bought villas on the Palm project back in 2001. Not sure what cars they drive but considering they only paid 2.6 million for them back them, with the current value I'd imagine they could buy a whole dealership of convertibles with their equity! They were pilots, only difference being they happened to be in the right place at the right time. More importantly, they had the foresight and balls to buy when everyone else stood back and watched. Good on 'em....lucky sods! :cool:

Emma Royds
9th Feb 2016, 18:12
For every happy story involving property in Dubai there will be at least another poor soul who get his fingers badly burned.

You only seem to hear the happy stories funnily enough!

JAARule
10th Feb 2016, 09:02
"drive a convertible along the coastlline, top down"...and full of sand. yes it's just like the Riviera.

nakbin330
10th Feb 2016, 09:10
We all live on the beach. It's just that most of us are a little far from the water!

OnceBitten
10th Feb 2016, 09:11
Speaking of Happy stories, I just had this emailed to me and it looks like things are about to get a whole lot better for you in the UAE! :ok:

UAE takes lead on happiness in Arab world with new ministerial post | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/uae/uae-takes-lead-on-happiness-in-arab-world-with-new-ministerial-post)

You just can't make this stuff up.................

alwayzinit
10th Feb 2016, 09:28
OB,
Considering that the UAE is about the ONLY Arab country where there arent car bombs going off periodically, accompanied by general lunacy, the claim for being the happiest Arab country is probably right, though not the highest accolade to achieve currently!:cool:
I would have thought Oman was happier, at least the indigenous population are much more friendly in my experience.

jklm05
16th Feb 2016, 08:15
I just noticed that EK introduced some minimum flight experience requirements on their careers page for first officers. Earlier it was just Atpl. Now it's 2000 plus hrs on aircraft weighing more than 20T.

Has this changed recently?

Does this mean they have gotten enough applications?

I have 1500 odd on the Baby Bus. So I don't know if I will be considered since I technically don't have the 2000 hours they are looking for.

Any inputs? Thanks.

ExDubai
16th Feb 2016, 08:44
It probably means that they lowered the bar a little bit to much. Get your 2000+ hours and apply. EK has never enough applications.....

MosEisley
16th Feb 2016, 08:50
Jklm05, why are you even considering coming here? The only reason any of us are here is that the majors weren't hiring years ago. That isn't the case now, stay home, we are all trying to get back.

ryanb5005
23rd Jun 2016, 00:02
How's life at Emirates for a 30 year old single guy? I don't mind being on the road 22 days a month. How are layovers? Nice hotels and locations?

Is it realistic to share a nice 2 bedroom pad with another guy for 1500-2000usd?

How difficult and how long is training?

Xulu
23rd Jun 2016, 04:24
Life is very, very good for young single guys. Layovers include mostly nice hotels - 4/5 star and location varies drastically. Flight deck usually get upgraded to an executive room or better.

You could share a luxury duplex penthouse in the Marina if there's two of you collecting the allowance. Or a Villa at the Emirates Hills golf club. Or an Armani residence in the Burj Khalifa. Or you could have a beach house on the Palm.... really two allowances is a lot of money.

You are getting almost 3900 USD each a month for housing. 1500-2000USD each will still get you a nice 2-3 bedroom apartment in a great location.

If you meant 1500-2000USD total between you, then no its not realistic unless you only want a crash pad for commuting.

The real questions are whether you want to rent/share going into the future.

You'll start flying around 2.5 months after joining date. Line training takes about a month.

How difficult it is depends on your previous experience, who is training you, and how hard you work - 'Training' is mostly scripted, and you are expected to know this script. You won't be taught anything without being marked down.

V1cutz
23rd Jun 2016, 15:01
Wouldn't mind being on the road for 22 days? Well, we will see how you change your mind after multiple all night duties and the fatigue kicks in (oh wait, that doesn't exist at EK, my bad). Xulu paints a pretty picture with his magenta colored glassed on but most of his info is false. A pretty beach house on the Palm? LOL. Wish I could have what you're smoking.

ryanb5005
23rd Jun 2016, 16:38
I was on the road for 19 days for years in the US while junior. And that was doing five flights a day for 20,000/year. I'm not saying the rosters at EK aren't brutal but I'm just trying to put it in perspective.

I did not see beach houses for rent on the Palm within the housing allowance, but I did see 2Br condos for $5,000/mo, which is close to half the housing allowance for two pilots.

There is a lot of emotion in the EK threads lately and I'm trying to get some objective information, that's all.

donpizmeov
23rd Jun 2016, 19:22
By lately do you mean since 2007ish?

CamelRustler
23rd Jun 2016, 19:54
Ryan,
Dude a lot of us did that. Trust me it's waaaaay easier then what we're doing here now. After flipping your clock 10 times a month every month your tune will change. So will your life span. Apples and Oranges. Good luck though in which ever you choose. I suggest you get your degree and go to a US major.

Fuel-Off
24th Jun 2016, 06:42
You'll start flying around 2.5 months after joining date. Line training takes about a month.

Some guys starting in April have just been given 10 days vacation plus the rest as CU (Can use days) for July as a shortage of training captains is starting to bite. So the company have said 'have 10 days leave on us, just be fresh and stand by the phone for the rest of the month on training reserve'. Not a bad way to start with Emirates. However when the training finishes...

Fuel-Off :ok:

The Turtle
24th Jun 2016, 09:31
So by way of '10 days vacation' do you mean to say the company has taken 10 days of their upcoming leave? Lol how clever they've become. Can't use you, you can't leave, so instead of days off due to their staffing issues they suck your future vacation?!

Wow....