PDA

View Full Version : Sim ride

zero-lash valve lifter
22nd Jun 2002, 21:31
I have a sim ride in the not too distant future. I would like to know what to expect to aid my preparation. Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Thanks

Nightrider
22nd Jun 2002, 23:15
can you explain your posting a bit more....what kind of sim ride?

Big_Mooney
23rd Jun 2002, 21:04
Had a go of a 744 BA sim couple of years ago. FANTASTIC. What a dream to fly, just amazing. If u want to prepare on any sim, I suppose all that u can do is to swat up on start up, pre-flight , taxi and take off procedures. My sim was centered around JFK airport. Did a couple of circuits, and landings ( all stick and rudder ) no AP. Greased 3 out of 4 landings, then did a T/O with engine flame out on rotate. LOADS of rudder and returned to airport. Best experience of my life. If your doing your sim ride with a pilot, he might take over most of the complicated stuff and just make you fly the A/C. Have a great time.:D

Ennie
25th Jun 2002, 12:26
Do you mean a sim ride under the eyes of an airline training Captain for possible employment, or just to play about in???

zero-lash valve lifter
26th Jun 2002, 10:17
I mean a sim ride with training captain with a view to flying for the company. That being the case any advice you chaps could give would be great, having never been in this position before.

Cheers

Ennie
26th Jun 2002, 14:04
I have only been in that situation once so can only give a bit of advice. Obvious things like looking smart and well groomed are a good start!!

Practice your I/F as much as you can and aim for good accurate flying. I was given a SID and a STAR to follow and I found that the Captain would ask questions about 1 mile before turning points, DME fixes, hold entries etc to see if I could think about the answer and fly accurately at the same time.

I would have thought that you will be asked questions as you fly, brush up on the airline in question, know about the aircraft you are potentially going to fly. If you find yourself struggling to answer and fly at the same time ask him to stand by, sort the aircraft out and then answer - be positive and loud, he'll appreciate that. Oh yes and don't forget to identify radio aids!!

hope this helps, best of luck.:)

KitKatPacificuk
26th Jun 2002, 15:39
From a reliable source. If they do ask alot of questions about you or the plane as you are flying. Just tell them to stop asking the questions, you will ansa them later coz you're busy. Get your priorities right. Fly the plane!

BlueEagle
27th Jun 2002, 01:07
I did one a very long time ago, it went as follows:

Normal take off, no FD (no automatics throughout flight either).

Climb ahead and clean up.

Sim now frozen whilst you do a couple of steep turns.

Motion back on, airfield behind you, commence configuration, carry out procedure turn, intercept and follow the LOC/GS down to decision height, carry out a GO Around.

When established straight and level and clean, Engine fire, just call for fire drill and correctly identify the engine, most important.

Radar vectors back to the ILS and a (Three) engined landing.

Throughout the instructor, knowing that we did not know all the drills and speeds etc., gave the necessary help, including the check lists, but it doesn't hurt to call for them when you think appropriate. They are aware you have not flown the type before but based on their brief and assistance they are looking to see a positive learning curve on your part. If you do the ride in a twin SIM then I doubt if they will expect you to do a single engine approach and landing, it will depend on how well you are doing and what you have flown before! They are just looking for potential, that's all. Some comapanies provide a written brief with speed, configuration and N1 settings well before the actual ride.

Follow the advice above re questions etc. Fly the aeroplane first,
most important. Best of luck. BE.

The man formerly known as
27th Jun 2002, 07:59
Zero,

Firstly congrats on getting sim ride in this climate.

Secondly have you considered jumping in a real sim before taking the ride? I flew the Trident sim at biggin (www.tridentsim.com)and they are very very different to spam cans. It took me a few hours to get happy with flying it.

For £70/hour it could be the difference between getting the job and not getting it. Also there is an instructor who for a consideration will give you the sim check he does for his airline. Got to be worth it.

Finally what is a zero lash valve lifter.

Good luck

regor
27th Jun 2002, 14:33
KitKat - I would check your reliable source!!

If you are being asked what seem like stupid questions during the sim' ride, than DO make sure that you answer them. The questions are asked to assess your spare capacity, whilst flying.

It sounds obvious, but make sure you trim out the A/C properly. I have seen numerous pilots that forget this most basic task, with resultant erratic manual handling. This does not make a good impression!

Good luck!:cool:

sickBocks
27th Jun 2002, 14:41
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation. Have a go in a sim as close to the one you're doing your ride in. Sometimes they send you the profile other times they don't. Due to word-of-mouth you find that many of the sim providers have copies of the profiles used by different companies so it's worth having a snoop around. Trident sim, GECAT, Oxford etc are good places to start looking...

sB

Ennie
27th Jun 2002, 16:25
"Just tell them to stop asking them" - shocking advice and I wouldn't take it, your reliable source doesn't sound to good KitKat.:mad:

fantom
28th Jun 2002, 10:50
1. relax and enjoy it. you are not supposed to know all about the aircraft. you will be assessed on basic flying/sit awareness/crm/etc/etc/.

2. appear keen and do not self-flagilate after an error. the day is unlikely to be perfect anyway. your bearing and the way in which you tackle the problems presented are being assessed. they will want to know that you are not the type who is likely to present crm problems on a long nite flite.....

3. assuming you are not a total waste of space in the air, it is the way that you present yourself which will score - or lose - many points.

good luck!

:)