PDA

View Full Version : Preservation of Phantom FG1 "Black Mike"

Geehovah
22nd Jan 2016, 10:26
Many of you will know, it was announced recently that a succesful bid has been made to acquire "Black Mike" and move it to its new home at Bruntingthorpe. The organisers would like to know if anyone has any memorabelia related to the airframe that they would like to donate or loan to the British Phantom Aviation Group (BPAG) for a future exhibit at Bruntingthorpe. If so can you drop me a PM and I'll pass it on.

Wannabeupthere
22nd Jan 2016, 11:23
No memorabilia to offer im afraid, but I do have a question. How does the old blue cross/American regulations thing affect 'Black Mike' ?

Will it only ever be a static airframe? Or does the scope of saving it allow for possibility of ground runs, taxying etc?

Geehovah
29th Jan 2016, 13:21
At the minute the ITAR allows only static display. A case would have to be made if was ever to be ground run.

Alber Ratman
29th Jan 2016, 21:24
If anyone thinks that the US Congress will change their laws for Bruntingthorpe are very deluded IMHO.

Out Of Trim
31st Jan 2016, 21:06
I say, get it running anyway! What are the Americans going to do about it? It's not as if we would be getting it airborne! :ugh:

Davef68
1st Feb 2016, 17:40
I doubt it's capable of ground running easily

Gsxr600
1st Feb 2016, 18:36
Its got no engines for a start so that would prevent running any time soon. I read that its pretty complete otherwise. How easy/expensive it is to come by a pair of working Spey's I don't know.

fantom
1st Feb 2016, 18:45
Would someone kindly explain what ' black mike' is?

If I have flown it, I would like to be included in this conversation.

Thrust Augmentation
1st Feb 2016, 20:31
XV582;

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.519398.1407842722!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620/image.jpg

Resided at Leuchars until recently - spent the last airshow camped out a few feet in front of her.

Phrobably the coolest Phantom phever.

PrivtPilotRadarTech
2nd Feb 2016, 00:24
Thanks Thrust Augmentation. I was in the USAF during the early 70's, and later when I got my PPL the FBO owner was a retired fighter jock. He mentioned the advantages of the acceleration of the F-4. Flying Tigers has some gorgeous photos of Black Mike, search for "Phantastic Phantoms – Flying Tigers Newsletter Edition 388".