PDA

View Full Version : Medical

Ginger Ninja
20th Jan 2016, 20:02
Folks, I have a valid class 1 medical from November 2015 and currently doing my studies for my ATPL's (modular route)

On 3rd December 2015, on driving home from work someone crashed into me. Long story short, had to go to hospital with pains in my neck and back and was told I had sever neck strain, but everything else was fine.

I am due to go back to work on 25th of this month having been off due to the injury and no light duties being available for me at work.

Do I have to inform the CAA of this or do I wait until my renewal and inform them that I had this injury? There will be no long lasting effects, etc, just pain that will heal over a couple of months.

I haven't been flying due to both my injury and of course the weather.

LlamaFarmer
20th Jan 2016, 20:33
I would inform your AME before flying again.

It will probably be fine, they will likely check functional movement, i.e. can you move your head sufficiently and without too much discomfort.

If you're in pain still, then depending how bad, it might be able to be treated with painkillers whilst flying. I'm not an AME though so I don't know for sure what medication you can/can't fly with.

In the year after getting my initial Class One, I was doing my ATPL exams and suffered a blown knee playing rugby. Had a pretty major knee operation (ACL & meniscus repair), wasn't flying for that first year anyway and was recovered from a daily activities point of view within around 4 months. Spoke to the AME before the op and he said its fine as I'm not flying until at least after the next renewal. During renewal examination he just checked joint movement and deep tendon reflex (knee-jerk reflex test with the hammer) and said yep all good.

You'll probably have a similar operationally functional check and a thumbs up.

gingernut
26th Jan 2016, 18:55
I suspect more details may be required.

Who,(age) , when, how, and what happened ?

What investigations did you have, and what were the results.

The "usual" rule is that a combined impact of speed of < or = to 30 mph is not looked into in great deal.

Of course, they're are always exceptions.:)

Ginger Ninja
26th Jan 2016, 20:04
Thanks for the reply guys.

I phoned up the CAA and was informed to send an email in. I did that on Monday.

I am still waiting for a reply from them.

LlamaFarmer
26th Jan 2016, 20:19
Thanks for the reply guys.

I phoned up the CAA and was informed to send an email in. I did that on Monday.

I am still waiting for a reply from them.

They aren't the fastest to respond... you'll learn that haha. Set your expectations low with the CAA, expect 2 weeks for a response, then half the time when they take only 10 days you're pleasantly surprised