PDA

View Full Version : US Marine Helicopter collision

Simplythebeast
15th Jan 2016, 11:45
Reports on Twitter that two US Marine Helicopters have collided over the sea off Hawaii. No further information at present.

Simplythebeast
15th Jan 2016, 12:10
Two US military aircraft have collided off the north shore of the Hawaiian island of Oahu, according to the US Coast Guard.
An empty life raft and debris have been spotted near Haleiwa Beach, reports CNN.
Chief Petty Officer Sara Mooers said a total of 12 people were on board the two aircraft.

212man
15th Jan 2016, 13:03
UH1W Super Cobra and a UH 1Y Venom are helicopters involved

Involved? I assume you mean searching, as news reports are saying CH-53s were the a/c that collided.

Simplythebeast
15th Jan 2016, 13:17
Just reporting the news as it was coming through twitter, very early stage of incident. Thats how it was reported over an hour ago, it would appear that it was in fact 2x Sea Stallions.

jimf671
15th Jan 2016, 18:16
Marine Corps Times

Two U.S. Marine CH-53 helicopters collide off Hawaii (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/01/15/coast-guard-2-marine-corps-helicopters-collide-off-oahu-debris-field-spotted-off-coast/78838392/)

SASless
19th Jan 2016, 12:43
While flying in Nigeria for Bristow out of Warri/Shell I came to know a Zapata Boat Captain I called "Ricardo del Embarco" who later moved to Oregon after visiting me for a bit of Hunting.

When I moved from Oregon to take up a new job....he took over the lease on my Apartment and in time married a lovely lady he met there.

She was divorced and had given up custody of her Son many years back and watched from afar as he was raised by a Step Mother.

This Morning I learned that young Man was one of the Crew members aboard the missing Helicopters.

A shared loss worked to mend some broken bridges as at Sunrise this Morning, they stood on an Oregon Beach looking towards where that Young Marine was lost.

It is a very small World we live in....and every one of these tragedies affect real people in so many ways.

ClearedHot28
20th Jan 2016, 10:13
I only knew one of the pilots in this crash from back in the days when I flew with the Marines. It's always sad and a terrible loss for the Family, friends, and the Country.

Carbon Bootprint
20th Jan 2016, 12:16
Coast Guard search has been suspended. Reports of three life rafts recovered and a fourth located, but none of the 12 crew members found.

Source (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/01/19/life-rafts-found-12-marines-missing-after-crash/78994108/)

bladegrip
21st Jan 2016, 06:12
SAS, Thanks for sharing. It is indeed a small world. RIP Marines...