PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm....greatest respect??

Tiger Tales
14th Jan 2016, 21:55
Bear in mind the source of this but really??
Royal Air Force pilot's 'greatest respect' for IRA who shot down his helicopter | An Phoblacht (http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/25623?)

Along with my wife, I visited Stormont, we had a very interesting and long conversation with Martin McGuinness, whom I found to be very honest and sincere,” Mike Johnston said.

“For the individuals that honestly believed that what they were doing was right, I have the greatest respect for them.”

Is he having a laugh?

Courtney Mil
14th Jan 2016, 22:12
Why would you want to give publicity to such a piece of propaganda?

Tiger Tales
14th Jan 2016, 22:39
It's a discussion forum? The Daily Fail and other rags get quoted on here all the time. They are just full of crap. This is on mainstream media feeds whether we like it or not.

SASless
15th Jan 2016, 06:03
Old Foes meeting for a Coffee and talking about common events is not all that unusual after a long period of time elapsing before the meeting.

I have sat with NVA and VC Soldiers and talked of the War we fought against each other.

It seems a bit of mutual respect exists and in the end we are all glad it is over and that we could find a way to understand that we shared many common experiences while engaged in combat.

One old NVA Soldier reminded me that the Rain wet us both and that the Mosquito's did not choose sides at night. Made a lot of sense to me.

Pontius Navigator
15th Jan 2016, 08:24
Germans and British.

However I believe there is less empathy between Sweden and Finland, Finland and Russia, Russia and Latvia, Poland and . . .

teeteringhead
15th Jan 2016, 12:09
"полезные дураки" as the Russians used to put it - and probably still do.......!

johnfairr
15th Jan 2016, 20:25
When I went on rugby tour to Riga, nearly 20 years ago, we got talking, as you would, to a bunch of like-minded sportsmen, over a few beers.

It became obvious that whilst their English was not very good (our Latvian left a lot to be desired, if I'm honest), they all knew three words that came out when we asked where they were from . . . . .

"Not F**cking Russian" was word perfect!

Al-bert
15th Jan 2016, 21:53
Life is strange isn't it? Having done my time on 72 during the '70's 'Troubles' I find Mike J's actions and thoughts interesting - not sure I would want to meet any of those guys myself and although I love visiting friends in the republic I have no wish to set foot in the North ever again. The one time I did drive through, returning from friends in Donegal after I'd retired, I couldn't wait to get out of the still bitterly divided province. But, when I was serving there (74 - 78) I knew that if I'd been born there, into a RC family, I'd most likely have been 'one of them'.

Wageslave
15th Jan 2016, 22:15
Is he having a laugh?

McGuiness "honest' or "sincere"?

Honestly a sincere murderer/terrorist and/or apologist for murderers/terrorists I grant you. Honest? McGuinness?? As honest and sincera as Heinrich Himmler.

The man has to be feggin delusional!

But then the world knows this...

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2016, 10:55
Similar sentiments by Tornado pilot John Peters about his Iraqi captors here

RAF pilot shot down in first Gulf War reveals 'sadness' for Iraqi people - AOL News UK (http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/01/17/raf-pilot-shot-down-in-first-gulf-war-reveals-sadness-for-iraqi-people/)