PDA

View Full Version : France honours wartime bravery of pilot, now 99

XV1979
13th Jan 2016, 15:38
France honours wartime bravery of Ipswich Spitfire pilot Stanley Chambers, now 99 - News - East Anglian Daily Times (http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/france_honours_wartime_bravery_of_ipswich_spitfire_pilot_sta nley_chambers_now_99_1_4373225)

ExRAFRadar
13th Jan 2016, 16:32
Thanks for the post XV - just what I needed to read.

Chugalug2
14th Jan 2016, 08:29
Amazing career. Medical Branch, then General Duties (Pilot), then Royal Navy (FAA?). Spits by the look of it. Mark anybody? Took the French long enough though. Or do they dribble out fewer and fewer awards as the young men who earned them become fewer and fewer as well?

Wander00
14th Jan 2016, 09:18
That's the French - day late and a dollar short..................

Aah, is that a black Citroen pulling up outside...............

Union Jack
14th Jan 2016, 10:05
Spits by the look of it. Mark anybody? - Chug

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/165_wwII.html:ok: suggests Mark IX around D-Day.:ok:

Aah, is that a black Citroen pulling up outside...... - Wanders

Très drole.....:D

Jack

octavian
14th Jan 2016, 10:09
At least the French are honouring those who remain, unlike our lot who denied Bomber Command veterans anything for years finally coming up with a clasp for an existing medal instead of a specific medal for those who participated in one of the bloodiest campaigns of WW2. Too little, too late.

There again, we've always been pretty mean with medals, but flash for honours and awards for so many nonentities and so-called celebrities. .

Chugalug2
14th Jan 2016, 10:18
Point well taken, octavian. The disowning of Bomber Command by the UK Establishment was shameful. Not just the lack of a Campaign Medal in its own right, as wanted by Bomber Harris, but no ennoblement for him alone amongst his peers, and worst of all an almost 70 year wait for a proper national memorial to the bloodiest campaign conducted by HM Forces. Point well taken, indeed!

oxenos
14th Jan 2016, 10:18
Is there anyone in his neck of the woods who could contact him and persuade him to start contributing to the long running "Gaining a Pilot's Brevet---" thread?

XV1979
14th Jan 2016, 14:18
I'm sure he'll be willing to contribute to the thread - he still has his record of training and some training reports plus full syllabus from Tiger Moth, Harvard, Magister and Spitfire... One proud Grandson :D - although as I ended up flying 'multies' he chooses when to talk to me :ok:

oxenos
14th Jan 2016, 15:22
Certainly looking forward to reading his contribution.

Union Jack
14th Jan 2016, 15:27
One proud Grandson - XV1979

Modest too....:)

Jack

NutLoose
14th Jan 2016, 19:06
Xv1979 and so you should be proud, a fine and brave man.

I hope you do not mind me tagging this on, another brave pilot also received his medal the day before he died in Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, Mr Johnson received his last medal – the Legion d’honneur for his part in the liberation of France.

Funeral held for World War II pilot given final medal on day before he died - Daily Post (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/funeral-held-world-war-ii-10694946)

XV1979
17th Jan 2016, 10:56
Chugalug2,

He was flying Spitfire Mk9 in 1944 'the best' he tells me!

XV

Union Jack
17th Jan 2016, 10:59
Nice to have my #5 confirmed.....:)

Jack