PDA

View Full Version : Jock Pies

Pontius Navigator
12th Jan 2016, 13:24
For ex-kipper fleet ex-ISK suffering from jock piewithdrawal symptoms, Aldi next week will be selling them 44.5p each.

The price is frightening, if they can sell them for less than 50p, what was in them over 30 years ago, apart from mice and brilliant pads?

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2016, 13:27
Dunno what was in those but the pre-packaged NAAFI pies always worried me. "Meat" was in the cheaper pie and you had to pay extra for one that said "steak" on the wrapper. They didn't say what "meat" was.

Linedog
12th Jan 2016, 13:30
Farm Foods stock them regularly. They also have Hollands pies and puddings, 4 in a bag. Three bags for a fiver.

Jumping_Jack
12th Jan 2016, 13:32
Even worse are the current crop of pies and pasties found in the dreaded White Box. Especially the 'D-Shaped Pastie'. So underconfident are those that make it that they only describe it's shape rather than what might lurk inside it! (Don't get me started on the 'Vegetable Lattice' :uhoh:)

WeeJeem
12th Jan 2016, 13:38
Or for a sizzling 32.3p per pie (https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/best-of-scotland/whats-new/whats-new-product-detail-page/ps/p/scotch-pie/), Pontius... :ok:

BEagle
12th Jan 2016, 13:49
'Steak' pies could be considered 'southern', hence are probably from cheap cuts of beefsteak.

Whereas 'meat' pies are probably 'northern', containing nothing but horns, ears, tails, testicles, hooves and ar$eholes.

Genuine Jock pies should at least have lamb or mutton mince in them - did you mean 'mice' or 'mince', PN...:\ But they also oozed so much lard that they would probably explode if exposed to 100% oxygen...:eek:

GlobalNav
12th Jan 2016, 14:04
Good Lord! No wonder my ancestors immigrated the New World, and for the of me one can hardly find an "English" restaurant outside GB.

Enjoy your comfort food.

Pontius Navigator
12th Jan 2016, 14:16
BEagle, for once I meant MOUSE as at least one was recorded.

Avtur
12th Jan 2016, 14:25
I can feel my arteries hardening just reading this. That said, Fraser Bros on the High Street in Forres did a good Jock pie that was infused with extra lard.

NutLoose
12th Jan 2016, 14:26
Greggs do them and I think M&S used too

BTW see

Pierate - Pie Reviews: What Makes The Best Scotch Pie? (http://www.pierate.co.uk/2013/11/the-best-scotch-pie.html)

The Scotch Pie Club (http://www.scotchpieclub.co.uk/)

However, unfortunately since the old ticker through a wobbly, pies are off the menu

:{:{:{:{:{:{:{

:{:{:{:{:{:{:{

Oh and did I mention

:{

bluetail
12th Jan 2016, 14:29
Murdochs Butchers & Fraser Bros in Forres are currently viing for the World Jock Pie Champion, I must say Murdochs Jock Pies are awesome.:D

Sandy Parts
12th Jan 2016, 14:33
Always good to soak up the booze and luckily available hot from the baker's oven just as the Mosset 'night-club' finished (or Jo Spanners for those sampling the bright lights of Elgin!). Think the bakers used to enjoy seeing what the lasses were wearing while they queued up for their pies (no comment needed from any Air Engs....)

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2016, 14:38
'Steak' pies could be considered 'southern', hence are probably from cheap cuts of beefsteak.
Whereas 'meat' pies are probably 'northern', containing nothing but horns, ears, tails, testicles, hooves and ar$eholes.

Both pies were on sale further south than where you were based though, Beagle.

In W. Germany, too.

langleybaston
12th Jan 2016, 14:40
Aussie Pies come top for disgusting smell though.

Redolent of horse farts and latrine canvas.

sitigeltfel
12th Jan 2016, 14:47
Deep frozen they make good clay pigeon substitutes.

Basil
12th Jan 2016, 14:48
Largs in the seventies - returning from late trip - stop by Anderson's Bakery for a couple of freshly baked pies to ensure a welcome home.
Local pubs and restaurants complained to the licensing committee because Anderson's retail licence didn't extend to midnight :*

aw ditor
12th Jan 2016, 15:02
ISTR a certain 120 Crew using them as practice DCs' on the towed target in the Moray Firth. 50/50, No Line!

dazdaz1
12th Jan 2016, 15:08
Morrison's supermarkets sell scotch pies baked in-house and very nice to.

ricardian
12th Jan 2016, 15:15
ShyTorque said Dunno what was in those but the pre-packaged NAAFI pies always worried me. "Meat" was in the cheaper pie and you had to pay extra for one that said "steak" on the wrapper. They didn't say what "meat" was.

Sir Terry Pratchett's character "Cut My Own Throat" Dibbler stocked "meat" pies and the much more expensive "named meat" pies...

BEagle
12th Jan 2016, 15:17
The excellent Jockistani chip shop close to Leuchars always used to ensure that their 'scotch pies' were served piping hot....

...by the simple expedient of dunking them in the deep fat fryer for a few moments!

:hmm:

WeeJeem
12th Jan 2016, 15:27
Largs in the seventies - returning from late trip - stop by Anderson's Bakery for a couple of freshly baked pies to ensure a welcome home.

Those premises are still open and baking, but they're now home to the Dolci Nardini Continental Bakery ;-)

JAVELINBOY
12th Jan 2016, 15:53
Anyone on here who ended up at St Athan in Wales must have experienced the Cardiff Clark's Pies, personally I didn't get on with them, the pastry didn't do anything for me. Much preferred the Peters flat corned beef pasties from nearby Caerphilly loads of pepper in these but god knows what else!
Clark's Pies (http://www.clarkspies.co.uk/)

Tankertrashnav
12th Jan 2016, 16:01
With a few hours off from a detachment to Leuchars, I remember visiting a caff in Dundee with a grizzled old Scottish AEO, who ordered "Pie, beans and chips twice, hen", on our behalf.

Strangely that meal sticks in my memory when many other grander ones have been long forgotten :ok:

Good Lord! No wonder my ancestors immigrated the New World, and for the of me one can hardly find an "English" restaurant outside GB.

GlobalNav - British cuisine can be found all over the world. Have you never had a curry?

Basil
12th Jan 2016, 16:30
"Pie, beans and chips
Recollect that in Cambridge as a prequel to going back to the mess for dinner in the days when one could eat anything without putting on weight.

Those premises are still open and baking, but they're now home to the Dolci Nardini Continental Bakery
That's the place. We go to Nardini's on visits back. Beautiful scenery in the Firth there but don't think I could do with the weather; having said that, the Deep South ain't great this winter.

GlobalNav
12th Jan 2016, 16:37
GlobalNav - British cuisine can be found all over the world. Have you never had a curry?

Oh, of course, my bad. I truly love curry and all sorts of such cuisine coming from "British" kitchens- Tandoori, Vindaloo, Tiki Masala...

How could I have forgotten?

4mastacker
12th Jan 2016, 17:02
BEagle wrote:
The excellent Jockistani chip shop close to Leuchars always used to ensure that their 'scotch pies' were served piping hot....

...by the simple expedient of dunking them in the deep fat fryer for a few moments!

That would be Mr Delpippo's emporium. His fat fryer was coal-fired and he used dripping - none of that cooking oil stuff - which meant his fish and chips were very moreish. Then he went modern, changed to electric and the food never tasted the same again.

The army bakery at MPA would produce jock pies if you asked nicely and had something to barter.

NutLoose
12th Jan 2016, 17:06
I remember at Lossie you used to phone the local taxi firm who would then pop round the local chippie, buy the pie and chips and deliver them to you on camp, you then paid for them and the fare, they did a roaring trade without actually carrying any passengers.
Rather trusting really, but it obviously worked well to everyone's satisfaction or they wouldn't have done it.

Wander00
12th Jan 2016, 19:02
Pies and other comestibles from Lakings in Louth were pretty good, but a friend who was in Louth recently told me that the emporium had now closed

Tashengurt
12th Jan 2016, 19:21

...by the simple expedient of dunking them in the deep fat fryer for a few
:hmm:

Not to mention the pizzas!
Was a blessing when the Treasure pagoda opened.

Donkey497
12th Jan 2016, 19:26
....... surprised that no-one has mentioned "yer actual" Forfar Bridies yet? ]:confused:

Pontius Navigator
12th Jan 2016, 22:07
Wander, I know he died before Christmas but I would be surprised if they had closed.

Surplus
12th Jan 2016, 22:52
The best pie I've found so far in Oz is the curry pie made by Kipling's Bakery at Port Wakefield, SA.

The friendly staff have to warn you that the curry pie is hot, as in spicy, and contains sultanas, they've had some complaints.

Who'd have thought it, a curry pie being hot :hmm:

The vast majority of the other pies I've tried would make a bad jock pie taste like H'aute Cuisine.

Busta
13th Jan 2016, 07:14
Still can't beat compo babies heads.

CoffmanStarter
13th Jan 2016, 07:49
It would seem that the results of the '17th World Scotch Pie Campionships' will be announced later today ... :ooh:

Scotland’s top crust butchers and bakers are on tenter-hooks today as their best products were delivered into the hands of the judges of the 17th World Scotch Pie Championships.

Judging took place at Carnegie Conference Centre, Dunfermline on Wednesday 11th November 2015 and the winners – which will remain a closely guarded secret until 13th January 2016 - have been chosen.

This year’s competition has seen nearly 100 butchers and bakers from all over Scotland deliver more than 500 of their best their pies, savouries and bridies to the Carnegie Conference Centre where they have battled it out for pie supremacy.

http://www.sfmta.co.uk/pictures/SCOTCH_PIE_CLUB_JUDGING_2015.jpg

scotchpieclub.co.uk (http://www.scotchpieclub.co.uk)

Image & Text Credit : Scotch Pie Club

See News tab ...

NutLoose
13th Jan 2016, 08:35
Picture on the left

Scroggins demonstrates he still remembers his respirator canister changing procedures

Centre picture

And this is the military version, we have made them look like babies heads

Picture on the right

And as you can see this one saved a Soldiers life, he had it in his pocket when it was struck by an SLR round.

;)

camlobe
13th Jan 2016, 08:55
Jock Pies.

Solely responsible for ensuring Shackleton's continued to be maintained in the depths of Scottish winters on exposed aprons. We could not have survived or managed without them.

Camlobe

Wander00
13th Jan 2016, 09:36
PN - I am delighted to be able to defer to you - I am delighted to say that Lakings remain open - a misunderstanding between me and the former Practice Nurse at the Grimoldby GP's surgery, where she worked for an old school chum, who was the GP and an aviation medical examiner, and is still flying from Gamston.

Barksdale Boy
13th Jan 2016, 09:43
Summer 1981; BB family and family of distinguished Vulcan, Tornado and latterly Harrier simulator nav ( that must have pi%%ed off a few knuckleheads) holidayed in Carsthorne on the northern littoral of the Solway and ventured to Dalbeattie for early morning sustenance. The distinguished officer ordering eight Jock pies. The waitress, one Aggie, served us with a look of scorn. The pies were wonderful.

ACW342
13th Jan 2016, 13:45
Nut loose at #27- that was probably me, '75-'78. Finish in ops at 18.00, walk to AMQ in Hythe Hill, have tea, down to AARONS taxis, drive until 01.30, home, sleep, then back to ops for 07.30. (Not on Fridays, my Wife worked in the Hythe Hill chippie and bought me a treat of a half rack of ribs at .50p out of her wages, to go with that weeks two tins of McE's Export) Of course, that wasn't when I was selling fish to Conningsby courtesy of 8 Sqn. cargo lines. Brilliant exchange rate at Conningsby for local Lincolnshire produce! Of course I wouldn't have had to do that if "They" had brought in the proposed Scottish LOA. I have often wondered why my children hate Jock Pies and Haggis.

WOTME?
13th Jan 2016, 15:33
Did some work last year at Ronaldsway,IoM & the petrol station just outside sold Jock Pies.I was a bit disappointed,I think 40 years ago they tasted much better.

The best pies in the world are the Chicken Balti ones sold at Watford FC's Vicarage Road.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2016, 15:59
No one has mentioned deep fried Mars Bars yet.

OldAgeandTreachery
13th Jan 2016, 16:16
Ahhh! Jock Pies;the staple of the line crew room.

Three ways of eating a warm or hot JP.

1 As it is and end up with scalding fat juices searing the inside of your mouth

2 Buy a soft white roll and put the pie in the roll. Result: Tasty roll and edible JP

3 To avoid 1: Carefully bite the edge of the pastry then VERY carefully tip the pie over a receptacle to catch the liquid fat. Do not tip too much or the contents in the pastry will rapidly join the fat. ( As happened on many an occasion)

Camlobe has it about right but I would include Nimrods in that statement as well.

ACW342
13th Jan 2016, 16:29
Obviously Jock pies tasted better 40 or even 30 years ago - we had taste buds then. As for Deep fried Mars bars, I think our colleagues in the Andrew would know about that. I think it was a relatively new thing, fashionable in the Glasgow area starting about 15 years ago.

Our taste buds at Lossie improved after a chef was parachuted into the junior Ranks restaurant from HQ STC after, it was rumoured, that a certain person/team responsible for local fresh goods was found paying class 1 prices for class 4 produce and splitting the difference with the supplier. Posting(s) to Colchester come to mind IIRC

PlasticCabDriver
13th Jan 2016, 17:13
But to soak up the alcohol properly and give you the energy to walk home at 2 in the morning in the pissing rain because you're too mean to pay for a taxi you need carbs. Carbs and cheese. You need the macaroni pie:

http://www.conveniencestore.co.uk/Pictures/620xAny/9/8/4/31984_Country-Choice-Macaroni-Pie.jpg

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2016, 17:43
PCD deep fried I presume.

I remember calling at a chippy very late at night on a long drive home, a very dark night. I opted for a steak pie.

It was dropped into the boiling fat and sank without trace. A short while later it resurfaced, was fished out and given to me, all golden brown puff pastry.

Actually delicious and no trace of fat.

BEagle
13th Jan 2016, 18:24
Which reminds me of a tale from pre-H&S days...

At a rather tatty chippy, hungry customers were rather perturbed to see a mouse suddenly appear and race along the back of the range. Which was bad enough, but said rodent was being hotly pursued by a diligent mouser intent on capture.

Unfortunately though, Tiddles the mouser lost his/her footing chasing the mouse, slipped and fell into the boiling chip fat, the poor little blighter. Whereupon the cook simply scooped out the rather deep-fried late Tiddles, slung him/her in the bin, then carried on cooking without any comment...:eek:

GlobalNav
13th Jan 2016, 18:32
"Tiddles the mouser lost his/her footing chasing the mouse, slipped and fell into the boiling chip fat, the poor little blighter. Whereupon the cook simply scooped out the rather deep-fried late Tiddles, slung him/her in the bin, then carried on cooking without any comment..."

Hence, the "tail" behind the "meat JC"? Pass the curry please. :rolleyes:

CoffmanStarter
14th Jan 2016, 15:14
And the Winner was ...

The Kandy Bar of Saltcoats won the top prize at the 17th World Scotch Pie Championships ...

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.919503.1452708201!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620/image.jpg

Image & Text Credit : The Courier (http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/fife-butcher-tastes-success-with-best-bridie-prize-at-world-scotch-pie-championships-1.919504)

Thrust Augmentation
14th Jan 2016, 19:42
I know a guy who took a good few medals (again) at the championship yesterday, unfortunately the big award has eluded him so far.

I'm in the lucky position that I can request Scotch, Steak, Brue, Macaroni or whatever pie from the better half & they will magically (& legitimately) appear at no cost!

WeeJeem
15th Jan 2016, 13:31
As for Deep fried Mars bars, I think our colleagues in the Andrew would know about that. I think it was a relatively new thing, fashionable in the Glasgow area starting about 15 years ago.

A chippy in Auchterarder (The Happy Hamburger, or The Happy Haggis, iirc; certainly The Happy Something) was serving these delicacies in the late 1970s, and the place was a regular halt on the great haul north up the A9. :ok:

I'm not sure that > 37 years later, that these can still be described as "relatively new"...:p

Basil
15th Jan 2016, 16:36
CoffmanStarter, Flash signal sent to BiL in Largs to investigate Kandy Bar ;)

CoffmanStarter
15th Jan 2016, 17:31
Good man Basil ... :ok:

Onceapilot
15th Jan 2016, 18:20
Come on Beags, deep fried cat? It can't be true, they would have sold it!:uhoh:

Jock pies: ASF Kinloss tea bar duty, '70's. Do not forget to turn on the hot cabinet for the Jock pies!:oh:

OAP

Cazalet33
15th Jan 2016, 19:32
probably 'northern', containing nothing but horns, ears, tails, testicles, hooves and ar$eholes.

Sounds like the Pygmy Parliament in Holyrood.

NutLoose
15th Jan 2016, 20:55
Or a big mac

sitigeltfel
15th Jan 2016, 21:08
"Tiddles the mouser lost his/her footing chasing the mouse, slipped and fell into the boiling chip fat, the poor little blighter. Whereupon the cook simply scooped out the rather deep-fried late Tiddles, slung him/her in the bin, then carried on cooking without any comment..."

Hence, the "tail" behind the "meat JC"? Pass the curry please. :rolleyes:

A Kebab shop in Broughty Ferry recently lost its late hours licence to stay open after 11pm, due to repeated health violations and lack of staff hygiene training.
Apparently it is OK to poison your customers before that hour! :rolleyes:

Ogre
17th Jan 2016, 00:57
Jock pies were a staple part of the diet when I was growing up, at home they were oven heated and the lid filled with hot baked beans as a favourite. Cold they were put into lunch boxes or bought out of the bakers before day trips out.

Getting them deep fried from the chip shop was a great way of keeping the cold out (before cholesterol levels were invented), the trick of eating them was to open one end of the newspaper so the pie was on top and the chips were below, so as you picked the pie apart any fats or juices were absorbed by the chips below.

Back when I grew up there were two "fast food" options, the local chippie and the Chinese restaurant across the road from it. Chinese was only for special occasions, chip shop meals were a little more affordable. Chip shops in my part of the world didn't just do fish and pies, we had a whole selection of meals including scampi, fish cakes, puddings (black, white, red and haggis), sausages (including savaloy which foreign) and pizza, all of which were deep fried.

I admit that I was 11 or 12 before I found out that pizza wasn't supposed to be deep fried.....

Union Jack
17th Jan 2016, 11:12
Jock pies were a staple part of the diet when I was growing up, at home they were oven heated and the lid filled with hot baked beans as a favourite.

With a "bulwark" of mashed potato to allow for more beans, I trust.

Chip shops in my part of the world didn't just do fish and pies, we had a whole selection of meals including scampi, fish cakes, puddings (black, white, red and haggis), sausages (including saveloy which foreign) and pizza, all of which were deep fried.

Deep fried white pudding - absolute bliss, immortalised to the tune of "Blaze Away!" in the words of the song, well, some of them:

"When all of a sudden a great mealy puddin' came flying through the air...":ok:

Jack

Rossian
17th Jan 2016, 11:32
.....deep fried pizzas were invented in the old part of Napoli a looooong time ago. I have a sepia tinted photo of it being enacted in the late 19th century.

And as a lot of the chippies in Scotland were set up by Italian immigrants they took the old knowledge with them.

The Ancient Mariner

PICKS135
17th Jan 2016, 13:55
Dont forget the "Bean and Tattie Pie". Mashed tatties piped round the rim. Beans spooned in the middle, and the mince underneath. Definately not thrown in the fryer though.

Local chippy [Cromars - up for the chippy of the year award next week]. Puts steak and gravy pies in the fryer. BEAUTIFUL :D:D:D:D

Rossian
17th Jan 2016, 15:43
.......in Aberdeen as a first year student. We didn't pay a lot but it was dire! Every night, "tea" was a tepid JP, beans and mash accompanied by a slice of white plastic bread pre-spread with marge (very thinly) and a cup of tea. As a growing lad I was very hungry most of the time. I added to my diet by attending the Scandinavian Seamens' Church (in the company of a rather tasty young Norwegian lass) where they did a VERY good tea after the service. (I hid my heathenness very carefully).

The legendary Blackpool landladies had lots to learn from Mrs Taylor.

The Ancient Mariner

Union Jack
17th Jan 2016, 15:55
Don't forget the "Bean and Tattie Pie". Mashed tatties piped round the rim. Beans spooned in the middle, and the mince underneath.

Quite hard to forget, since it only appeared four posts ago.....:D

Jack

TLDNMCL
18th Jan 2016, 12:19
Nutloose...I'd hazard a guess that the chippie would be Doug's and taxi company Christina's with ex-fish head Bob the usual driver? 😊 Happy days...

PICKS135
18th Jan 2016, 21:18
:uhoh::uhoh:

B-gg-r. I read it but it didnt register. I'll bog off and eat my Fisher & Donaldsons fudge Donut as punishment ;);)

Cheers Jack

Ubehagligpolitiker
19th Jan 2016, 15:17
I didn't rate Jock Pies after attempting to eat one in the mess at Kinloss which rattled when shaken - the meat content was at a minimum, minimal.

OldAgeandTreachery
19th Jan 2016, 19:53
Kinloss in the seventies and rumour had it that:

1 Jock Pies were zero rated under the VAT system.

2 Unsold JPs were used by Bata Beg(local ship's chandler) to anchor boats in
Findhorn Bay.

Even with all that, most days the first items sold out in the tea bar were JPs; closely followed by egg banjos.

Memory jog: The first time I remember seeing Tomato Sauce crisps was when the ASF storeman used to buy a bag of plain crisps,open them, then pour in Heinz Ketchup.

Onceapilot
19th Jan 2016, 21:24
OAT

"Memory jog: The first time I remember seeing Tomato Sauce crisps was when the ASF storeman used to buy a bag of plain crisps,open them, then pour in Heinz Ketchup."

I think that was because the Tom Sauce was free!!!:rolleyes:

OAP

Charlie Luncher
19th Jan 2016, 23:00
First visit to ISK this youngun after a few beers in the Gusset needed potatoes, went to the Forres fish n chip bar, I'll try a jock pie thanks "sure I'll just warm it through for ya" as it disappeared into the fryer:sad:. I think the pastry was able to absorb more fat than fuller's earth. Every bloody bakery in NSW claims to be the world's best piemaker, Ill let you know which one gets the title:E:ok:
Charlie sends

deanm
20th Jan 2016, 02:41
Here in Adelaide, Australia, we have 'The Pie Floater', which used to be served to famished late night revellers from carts outside the main railway station.

The dish is composed of an inverted pie served submerged in a bowl of green mushy peas, drizzled with tomato sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater

Used to be really popular (killed off by the likes of KFC & McDonalds)...

Dean

matkat
20th Jan 2016, 05:43
Treasure Pagoda is rubbish now, but old Fred's chippy is now a pizza and indian not to bad either and for the fish supper Dahli's in Guardbridge is pretty much uo there.

matkat
20th Jan 2016, 05:53
A Kebab shop in Broughty Ferry recently lost its late hours licence to stay open after 11pm, due to repeated health violations and lack of staff hygiene training.
Apparently it is OK to poison your customers before that hour

If you are in the Ferry a Kebab house should be the last place you would want to eat, and it probably would be if you went there I know the place (from the Ferry) and would not touch it:= there's a great chippy next door anyway:D

teeteringhead
20th Jan 2016, 08:28
And as a lot of the chippies in Scotland were set up by Italian immigrants they took the old knowledge with them.

And the ice-cream knowledge too. Before the (relatively recent) idea of being able to eat anything all year round, many Italian establishments (not just in Scotland) did ice-cream (only) in the Summer and changed to fish 'n' chips etc (only) in the Winter.

Onceapilot
20th Jan 2016, 09:55
Kinloss village chip shop...Deep fried haggis 'n chips..mmmnnn:)

OAP

OldAgeandTreachery
20th Jan 2016, 16:13
OAP :-

Kinloss village chip shop:his daughters --- mmmmmmmmm

chinook240
20th Jan 2016, 17:58
For those ex-pats stranded south of the wall and no access to our favourite pies, can I recommend The DIY Scotch Pie Company - Scotch Pie Kit - 12 Standard Traditional Shells (http://www.diyscotchpie.co.uk/our-products/scotch-pie-kit-12)
If I knew how to post pics, I would, but I can report they produce excellent results.

Brian W May
20th Jan 2016, 18:10
Pint of Sulwath porter and a Jock pie in Castle Douglas - civilised, AND in Scotland . . . lovely jubbely