PDA

View Full Version : Initial CAA Class 1 Medical Advice

747 forever
8th Jan 2016, 09:14
Hey everybody,
So I've recently been accepted into the Oxford Aviation Academy so prior to enrolment I need to go forth with obtaining my Class 1 Medical next month. Currently I already posses a Class 2 for my PPL however I've heard lot's about the dreaded Class 1! I just want to ask the folks who've been through it here on what to expect and any advice you'd give to me about my lifestyle and diet in the month preceding to it. As I live all the way out here in Tokyo I'd preferably like to nail it the first time round without having to go back to retests.

Cheers guys, I look forward to the replies!

Regards,
747 forever

Radgirl
8th Jan 2016, 12:10
Sorry, it isnt an exam in the sense you can prepare for it. It is a medical. You cant have multiple attempts! However, if you have passed the class 2, have no significant medical history, are not colour blind and under 30 the risk of something being found is minimal

You cant pass by changing your lifestyle, but anyone looking at aviation for a career, where paying the mortgage depends on their medical, will presumably eat a sensible diet, not smoke, exercise and minimise alcohol.

Not sure what horror stories you have heard. The reality is the medical is simply a series of tests which most people pass

Good luck

747 forever
8th Jan 2016, 13:19
Now that I've read my original post I am now aware how you can interpret it as me thinking it's an exam :}
I reckon I was thinking more along the lines of the weeks leading up to the medical in terms of my lifestyle. Obviously as you've said, I have to cut down on my partying and smoking habits. In terms of things such as eye sight, hearing etc I wasn't too concerned.

What got me under the impression that it was dreadful was one of my good friends had a blood pressure too high to the point he had to wear a heart beat monitor for 24 hours and a repeat test of roughly 10 times.

But you're right, it's not something I should stress over, it's just a series of simple tests...
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!