PDA

View Full Version : Anybody moved to 787 due to contaminated cabin air?

White_Eagle
4th Jan 2016, 11:00
Hi fellow flying colleagues,

I do increasingly hear of fume events in my present outfit (B737-800) as well as pilots and cabin crew complaining about typical symptoms consistant with toxic air. Recently I was grounded due to a fume event for several weeks and wanna change something immediately.

My question is if anybody from you or known friends/colleagues moved to the 787 from any other conventional stinker-plane using bleed air and feel a good effect?
I came across 787-pilots who suddenly feel much more rested and well being despite of having longhaul ops with time zones and night flying. Is it a coincidence?

Would be great to discuss and share your experience as I think about a career change. The 787 is a last option to stay in business should it really be an improvement.

Thanks!

STBYRUD
4th Jan 2016, 11:23
Well... The placebo effect is powerful, I am just as suspicious of the lubricants used in the 787 compressors as I am of the engine oil in the GE90 of the 777 I fly... :} The only reason I could imagine why crews feel more rested in the 787 is the reduced cabin altitude and the humidifiers!

plhought
4th Jan 2016, 12:42
Exact same oil in the 787 ACMs as the engines as is pretty much every other ACM out there.

White_Eagle
5th Jan 2016, 14:44
Ok, but we speak about the air supply to the cabin by engine bleed air, do we? I doubt that the Air Cycle Machine is operated with Mobil Jet Oil containing TCP.

The 787 compressors would rather use anti-freeze agents and no TCP oil like a Jet engine.

So it must be a air Quality improvement if air is drawn from the outside instead of dirty bleed air through engines?