PDA

View Full Version : Whats does CAA think of Hydronephrosis for Medical?

ashleysly
4th Jan 2016, 00:25
This might be a biggy... but hopefully someone can help before I make a decision to waste money. - Hopefully this is the right place to post.

Firstly, I am looking to go for a Medical Class 1 Certificate before I start flying as I would like to get the class 1 over and done with rather than get a PPL on class 2 and then find out I cannot get a class 1. However I have doubts in my head for my conditions I have.

When I was born, I had hydronephrosis due to PUJ on both kidneys. I also had Patent Ductus Arteriosus and Ventricular Septal Defect which both were success fully closed spontaneously according to my records. Also had Scoliosis which I still have.
Few years later I had total nephrectomy on my right kidney with severe hydnephrosis on my left kidney. Had the right kidney removed.
I had to have a Pelvi-ureteric junction (PUJ) obstruction operation at the age of 5 to place a stent in the left kidney. Then later on had that removed when I was 6.
I have no history of any hypertension and have compensatory hypertrophy.

Then when I was 9 they detected a different PDA on my heart which was surgically closed at the age of 11. And then got discharged form there for my heart.

Been under the care of paediatrician for all my conditions until I was 18 and then got moved to urologist for adults. Currently I am 20 and have no reoccurring UTI's (last one was so long ago I can't even remember it). My doctor thinks I only need to see him every 2 years.
I had an operation for my scoliosis when I was 13 and went back in about a year and half ago to have 2 of the screws out. I see him every 1 year now.

I know the only people who would tell me for definite would be people from the CAA. But with those conditions, I don't want to risk it and waste the money to find out if I will get a failure.

The CAA states:

"(d) Renal/Urological surgery
(1) Applicants who have undergone a major surgical operation on the urinary tract or the urinary apparatus involving a total or partial excision or a diversion of any of its organs should be assessed as unfit for a minimum period of three months or until such time as the effects of the operation are no longer likely to cause incapacity in flight. After other urological surgery, a fit assessment may be considered if the applicant is completely asymptomatic and there is minimal risk of secondary complication or recurrence.
(2) An applicant with compensated nephrectomy without hypertension or uraemia may be considered for a fit assessment.
(3) Applicants who have undergone renal transplantation may be considered for a fit assessment if it is fully compensated and tolerated with only minimal immunosuppressive therapy after at least 12 months. Applicants may be assessed as fit with a multi-pilot limitation.
(4) Applicants who have undergone total cystectomy may be considered for a fit assessment if there is satisfactory urinary function, no infection and no recurrence of primary pathology. Applicants may be assessed as fit with a multi-pilot limitation."

Im looking for people who have similar problems or previously had these problems. As when I read the CAA medical terms, my kidney seems to be in working conditions for their requirements for an unrestricted class 1.

For part 1 it seems I've gone way over the 3 months.
Part 2 I have compensatory hypertrophy which basically is compensatory nephrectomy.
Part 3 I have not had a transplantation.
Part 4 I have not undergone total cystectomy.

Anyway hopefully there are people who have had similar problems who could help.

Right so here is the question:

What would my chances of an Unrestricted Class 1 Medical be?

My local AME states as long as there is proof that my PDA and VSD has been resolved medically then the CAA would want the proof and wouldn't be a problem. The Scoliosis wouldn't be a problem either providing my movement isn't affected to a point where I couldn't operate an aircraft. I would get a class 2 easy enough apparently.

Radgirl
4th Jan 2016, 14:31
I expect the CAA will want to know how well your kidney functions so they will want to see up to date blood tests, may need an ultrasound of the kidney, and if very up to date a MRA (an MRI scan looking at blood flow and function)

If the renal function is ok you seem to meet the criteria but they would not be happy if your function then deteriorated, so as your question is about a career choice as opposed to simply passing the medical you need to sit your urologist down and ask the risks of renal deterioration over time. This is usually low but will depend on your history and surgery.

The scoliosis will be ok if you have full power in your legs.

I suspect your PDA never closed - doctors seem to be adverse to admitting a result was wrong - but if all is corrected you should be ok

However given the number of systems involved in your history, the CAA may be just a little wary, and want an echo of the heart and to look through your notes.

At the end of the day you have to ask them. You dont need to go for the medical, just ask!

Good luck

cavortingcheetah
4th Jan 2016, 16:18
Commiserations on your childhood woes and consequent medical questions that arise therefrom. One small but unmentioned point would be insurance cover for loss of licence for medical reasons. This might only be relevant for a professional licence holder who earned his primary living through flying, but would insurance companies be prepared to cover that risk given the unfortunate childhood history?
There's also perhaps potential snag with being issued with a multi crew restriction on a medical. It seems as though, from reference to past pages on this website, airlines discriminate against applicants who have a medal restriction, at least insofar as initial job opportunities are concerned.

ashleysly
14th Jan 2016, 10:24
Thanks for your replies guys.
I asked an AME and he said there's nothing wrong with what I have. He also states there's a little chance I could have an OML but because it all happened when I was younger and nothing has been ongoing for a long time and the fact that I've been discharged and only need to see the doctor every 2 years then that's all good signs that what I have got is healthy and that CAA will also take into account, they saw notes and stated I'll pass it but a slight chance I could get OML restriction.

So next question is:

What are job prospects with an OML position?