PDA

View Full Version : HAPI

NDA60
30th Dec 2015, 10:27
I understand that a HAPI (Helicopter Approach Path Indicator) hardware is available to be installed at a helipad to assist helicopter pilots in maintaining the recommended glide path while flying an approach.

What is the feedback on practical use of such an equipment? Are they widely in use at onshore helipads? Are such devices also available and in use at offshore platforms particularly for night approaches at offshore platforms?

Grateful for any inputs.

Flyting
30th Dec 2015, 14:02
I'd like to know what one costs? Just a basic HAPI - no bells and whistles

GipsyMagpie
30th Dec 2015, 15:31
I think a variation on the system is used routinely for naval operations to ships. Admittedly this is to help when the deck isn't horizontal all the time but you might get some interesting feedback from Naval aviators

9Aplus
30th Dec 2015, 17:52
Last offer which we received for portable unit, was 11k GPB level,
for day & night use, quick less than 10 min set up for trained ground crew.

Flyting
30th Dec 2015, 18:26
Thanks 9'r.... bit too much for our little pad :*

sycamore
30th Dec 2015, 18:28
You can make your own ; 3 red torches on the ground,3white torches on 6ft.poles,bit of trigonometry and 1;60 rule,and you can make your own Jungle Approach Path Indicator....ours were fully mobile......could use the Xmas lights in the festive season....

MOSTAFA
30th Dec 2015, 19:19
Surely an old Bardic would suffice - maybe eBay?

OvertHawk
31st Dec 2015, 08:54
Flyting. 11k is quite expensive - But how much does wrecking the aircraft during a night approach cost? :} (Even something like an over-torque or over-temp due to a misjudged approach will eat up 11k in a heartbeat)

We had the HAPI installed on a site we used regularly at night - It cost around 8k ten years ago and was excellent - made a huge difference to the stability and safety of the approaches and the confidence / comfort of the crews. :ok:

I know it's difficult if you're on a limited budget but there are times when you just need to say - "we either buy this or we don't do fly here".

Flyting
31st Dec 2015, 17:56
It's just something that would be nice to have. Our place is quite well lit by sorrounding buildings in the area...
But thanks for the imput

NDA60
5th Jan 2016, 09:56
Hi guys, any feedback on the suitability of the equipment(HAPI) for offshore helidecks. Is this equipment a regular fit in say the North Sea on helidecks?

sajjack
17th Nov 2018, 12:07
I am also looking for inputs on HAPI or GPI if used commercialy. Ihave personally used GPIs on Naval ships and found them quite useful. Having flown without them earlier when used them later found it to be pretty useful. However on fixed platforms how to align for prevalent winds. One of the inputs I got was that they had used the system in North Sea fitted on rails around the perephery of the deck.
Any corroborations or inputs

NRDK
18th Nov 2018, 08:39
Got to love cheapskate operators who would rather trash a helicopter, crew and passengers etc, rather than the relative expense of equipment designed for safe flight operations, TCAS, TAWS, HAPI decent training currency etc. Think flight safety and equipment upgrades are dirty words? Try having an accident.

diginagain
18th Nov 2018, 15:54
You've seen how profligate the offshore industry is?

EESDL
18th Nov 2018, 16:44
I'd like to know what one costs? Just a basic HAPI - no bells and whistles

they stopped including bells and whistles once they realised they were useless due to the noise of the approaching helicopter......

EESDL
18th Nov 2018, 16:48
The lighting scheme and orientation of the helideck are designed to give enough approach guidance - Constant angle, ‘rugby ball’ shape etc with ground speed and height read outs from PM - or whatever they are called these days.....

sajjack
23rd Nov 2018, 16:02
Thats the way its being done by rugby ball or oval shape etc but the GPI makes it even more easy