PDA

View Full Version : Post PPL

Currymonster
5th Feb 2002, 23:12
So the PPL is in the bag. What next? Does getting an IMC whilst gaining some hours (Finances Allowing) sound like sensible.. .Hopefully, enrolling with BGS for ATPL exams later in the year!. .Wise or Otherwise??

Fast Jet Wannabe
6th Feb 2002, 03:53
Do a search for recent threads in Private Flying. There was an excellent one running about this very recently.

(Incidently, Im in the same situation as you, wondering what to do!)

FJW.

GJB
6th Feb 2002, 20:36
curry - go flying and enjoy it for a while. do the IMC after you have gained some quality flying experience (ie not buzzing around 10 miles from the airfield, or thrashing the circuit)

kebabman
7th Feb 2002, 01:52
I am also in the same situation. Besides understanding what IMC stands for, I don't know much more about it. Is it essential, will I go through it in the ATPL, do I need it for the ATPL, how do i get it..... ooh the qestions are endless.

farrenfour
7th Feb 2002, 06:37
gee I dunno, IMC is probably a double edged sword, if you find yourself in IMC conditions, then the IMC is hardly sufficient if you are sub 100 hours or not very comfortable on type, I'd suggest you think about the following:

Do as many type ratings as you can afford, ie try out different aircraft, get a Tailwheel endorsement, do some aeros, do some grass strip stuff, each type check is also a free lesson with an instructor so you cannot but learn. Get a CS endorsement, move away from the types you feel so comfortable in, and learn a new type - each A/C has its own characteristics, and most of all have fun !!!

Oh, and make lots of little mistakes, but no big ones and thats called experience.

Dusty_B
12th Feb 2002, 05:55
I finished my PPL at the end of October, and almost straight away went out and bought a share in a taildragger at the local airfield (Enstone).. .The capital outlay, some say, is rather large - £5k, but the beauty comes with the ongoing costs: £65pm and £33ph wet. So, for hour bulding (I need to do 75 more to get my 100hrs P1), as long as I do the hours within 54 MONTHS, I save money over going through the flying club!. .The biggest problem most fresh PPLs will have is getting insured on a private kite: Most policies require 100hrs flying time (some even 100hrs P1)! I managed to negotiate with the insurance company with my 100hrs UAS experience (of which only 12hrs was P1), and my feable estimated 25hrs total time on Grob-109 (yup - AGT with the Air Cadets many moons ago - but its a taildragger).. .I want to start on the ground school asap (I'm trying to decide between OATS and BGS), and wx permitting, will probably knock up the 100hr mark in 12-15 months. At the moment, I'll probably halt at CPL with FI and IMC. My flying school is trying to tempt me back to do a Night Rating, but I want an IMC too (I tasted the freedom with a UAS PIFG, and I want it back), not least because Enstone isn't open for night flying anyway!!

[ 12 February 2002: Message edited by: Dusty-B ]</p>