PDA

View Full Version : Helideck monitors

Captain 55
21st Dec 2015, 09:29
Guys, I am fighting a losing battle. I've had a look on here and would like to know your own personal preference. Currently 2 x helideck monitors where I am, point down when the helo lands/takes-off, the 3rd being manned is directed. Heaven forbid should something go wrong, I have asked how the helideck crew get to these 2 other monitors to position them where they would need to be. I am told ''pilots have said they do not want to be looking down the barrel of the foam monitor'. Is that right or would you rather know all 3 could be brought into action immediately? Thanks in advance.

helimutt
21st Dec 2015, 11:13
do you really want 10bar fire monitors pointed at your aircraft whilst you sit there rotors running? Personally I think it best that they are available and ready to move if needed. Also, a lot of the ones I saw the last few years wouldnt have moved even if you wanted them to. A quiet word with the engineering ' helideck teams on a few vessels was required to get them to free them up and 'de-rust' them. ;)

Geoffersincornwall
21st Dec 2015, 13:59
.... the helicopter normally ends up anywhere other than sitting in the middle of the helideck where the fire response has normally been focussed. I've seen monitors that can't even be rotated to cover the 'valley'. Heaven help us, don't people study the accidents of yesterday ???

G.

check
21st Dec 2015, 16:21
The fixed monitors are for spraying the helideck not the helicopter, the hand controlled monitors can be used on the helicopter. The following is taken from the Helideck Manual.

Not all fires are capable of being accessed by monitors and on some occasions the use of monitors may endanger passengers. Therefore, in addition to a fixed foam system monitor, there should be the ability to deploy at least two deliveries with hand-controlled foam branch pipes for the application of aspirated foam at a minimum rate of 225 litres/min through each hose line. A single hose line, capable of delivering aspirated foam at a minimum application rate of 225 litres/min, may be acceptable where it is demonstrated that the hose line is of sufficient length, and the hydrant system of sufficient operating pressure, to ensure the effective application of foam to any part of the landing area irrespective of wind strength or direction.

The hose line(s) provided should be capable of being fitted with a branch pipe capable of applying water in the form of a jet or spray pattern for cooling, or for specific fire fighting tactics. Where a Deck Integrated Fire Fighting System (DIFFS) capable of delivering foam and/or seawater in a spray pattern to the whole of the landing area (see paragraphs 2.10 to 2.12 and Note below) is selected in lieu of an FMS, the provision of additional hand-controlled foam branch pipes may not be necessary to address any residual fire situation. Instead any residual fire may be tackled with the use of hand-held extinguishers.

Langball
21st Dec 2015, 21:00
The fire monitor is supposed to 'knock down' the fire. If the fire team are going to approach the aircraft to either attempt a rescue or tackle a smaller fire then the monitor is supposed to be switched off and hand held hoses used.

On our helideck we always have one member of the fire team on the monitor on the upwind side. It's checked regularly as part of our planned maintenance system and it also gets checked during the annual helideck inspection.

Having said that, I don't know if here has ever been a case in the U.K. where a helicopter has crashed and remained on the helideck, thus requiring the intervention of the fire time (not saying that you shouldn't be prepared though).