PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Robinson R66 Assembling | Video

pavelkorsun
15th Dec 2015, 18:58
Helicopter Robinson R66 detailed assembling process from Robinson manufacturer boxes to fully assembled helicopter, testing of navigation systems, balance check of main rotor and tail rotor, first launch of turbine and first test flight. Helicopter Robinson R66 at Kiev Helipad, Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-druCyVnH0

Hot and Hi
16th Dec 2015, 12:48
Beautiful!

whoknows idont
16th Dec 2015, 16:59
Good work, nice video! But I think I would have borrowed a forklift... ;)
Greetings to beautiful Kyiv! :ok:

krypton_john
16th Dec 2015, 18:21
Some assembly required. Batteries not included.

Thomas coupling
16th Dec 2015, 18:42
For some reason, I half expected this arrangement from Robbo world.
A crane on someone's rent a truck, an assembly line where heating was at a premium obviously as they were wearing woolly hats and jackets to stay warm and of course the ubiquitous drifting of crew (up to 4 at one stage) in and out of the rotor disc while she was turning and burning.
Why did I expect this from the Robbo family and its subsidiaries overseas?
No sterile working conditions, probably no QA department, no jigs or laser aligning equipment, no quarantine areas for spare parts.........:=

whoknows idont
16th Dec 2015, 19:28
For some reason, I half expected this arrangement from Robbo world.
A crane on someone's rent a truck, an assembly line where heating was at a premium obviously as they were wearing woolly hats and jackets to stay warm and of course the ubiquitous drifting of crew (up to 4 at one stage) in and out of the rotor disc while she was turning and burning.
Why did I expect this from the Robbo family and its subsidiaries overseas?
No sterile working conditions, probably no QA department, no jigs or laser aligning equipment, no quarantine areas for spare parts.........:=

sterile working conditions... sorry tc but you just sounded like you have no idea about the real world... :rolleyes: we are talking about an aircraft hangar not a quantum physics research lab. The assembly line this helicopter came off of probably doesn't look that much more professional!

Self loading bear
16th Dec 2015, 21:00
Proper use of steps, stairs and ladders
If a platform stair has a handrail(s) then use at least one of them.
Not more people on a scaffold as for which it is designed.
On A type ladders do not use the top step when a proper hand rail is not installed
In (some?) European countries, household steps are not allowed for employed work.
Valid periodic integrity checks should be visible by means of sticker.

I guess i have drifted to far into the offshore environment?
Cheers SLB

krypton_john
16th Dec 2015, 21:19
All I can say is I hope you took the precaution of putting on a hi-viz vest before posting that!

as365n4
16th Dec 2015, 22:04
No wonder why these ugly and unsafe things fall so quick out of the sky.
Then little Johny puts them together with a big hammer in his backyard garage!

Haven't seen any documentation, parts tagged, manuals, tool control, proper (safe) staging, etc. just what you expect of little Johnys toy shop, when everything gets glued together with a big hammer. :rolleyes:

In a nutshell the worst advertising for this touring company ever! :=

:yuk:

Delta Torque
16th Dec 2015, 23:17
While I have no love for Robbies, these guys looked like they were doing a good job.
I've seen 'well known global companies' doing worse.

whoknows idont
16th Dec 2015, 23:18
No wonder why these ugly and unsafe things fall so quick out of the sky.
Then little Johny puts them together with a big hammer in his backyard garage!

Haven't seen any documentation, parts tagged, manuals, tool control, proper (safe) staging, etc. just what you expect of little Johnys toy shop, when everything gets glued together with a big hammer. :rolleyes:

In a nutshell the worst advertising for this touring company ever! :=

This is a video showing the assembly process. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it's not there.
I didn't see either hammer nor glue. I saw a clean and organised hangar, guys putting together the helicopter with proper tools. Obviously they are not little johny. Looking at how they work and how they handle the parts it clearly seems to me like they know what they are doing.
The only hazard I can see is the type itself and the possibility of a guy falling from a 3' ladder. Get over yourselves... :ugh:

Thomas coupling
17th Dec 2015, 12:24
Oh dear, it seems they not only tolerate the assembly methods of said helicopter, but they also probably fly them for a living also.:yuk:

To be fair we need comments supporting the assembly process so that those of us who know better can identify the great unwashed.:rolleyes:

Hot and Hi
17th Dec 2015, 14:53
I find it funny that whenever there is talk in these Forums about the best-selling motor car (be it a VW, or a Toyota Corolla) there are these Formula 1 or top of the range Unimog utility truck drivers who belittle those who drive around town in their Toyota Corollas, warning them that their "flimsy-wagons" are potential death traps. :=

I find this a bit rich, assuming that many of those Ferrari/Unimog aficionados do not actually own their top of the range vehicle, but are lowly paid employed 'bus drivers' who in their personal capacity probably do not even own any car, and come to work every morning on an bicycle.

Dave B
17th Dec 2015, 15:12
I did note the lack of paperwork, but perhaps they thought people signing pieces of paper was not interesting enough to be worth filming.
I thought doing the first air test in a snow storm was pushing it a bit, but I suppose you get used to snow in that area.

tqmatch
17th Dec 2015, 17:51
As a licensed engineer & pilot, I see no issues with this. Why would you take any paperwork on to the cold (probably dirty) hangar floor?

Their working practices appear no better or worse than you'd see in the UK or any EASA standard hangar, and I'd argue this point with anyone.

I think the OP intended this to showcase the capabilities of their company perhaps, and we've managed to swing it round to be a Robbo & Robbo Engineer bash thread. :ok:

Camp Freddie
17th Dec 2015, 18:32
i thought it looked ok, the former limitation about no flight in falling or blowing snow has been dropped from the flight manual i note so i can't even beef about the flight test

onetrack
18th Dec 2015, 01:47
These Russkie blokes are obviously rank amateurs! No lab coats, no white cotton gloves, no safety glasses, and just look at that refuelling point! - just a pit in the ground! :)

whoknows idont
18th Dec 2015, 03:16
To be fair we need comments supporting the assembly process so that those of us who know better can identify the great unwashed.:rolleyes:

That made me laugh, I knew you must have some sense of humour hidden somewhere :ok:

chopjock
22nd Dec 2015, 12:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9lhMEKF85E&feature=youtu.be
Wow

Vertical Freedom
22nd Dec 2015, 12:53
nothing more needs saying................'CRAPINSON made FLIMSICOPTER'

Spunk
22nd Dec 2015, 14:16
Post #20 and 7 days since initial Post was made... What took you so long Vertical? :}

An_engineer
23rd Dec 2015, 16:35
Oh Dear Thomas Coupling and AS365N4. You really are full of it. Not sure if its ignorance or arrogance clouding your judgement on this one. What is it exactly that you fly? and do you think it was actually assembled by robots in some sort of biochemical lab room?

I've seen many types of aircraft delivered new from the factory off the back of a truck with a crane. I've seen many more recovered from a field using the same method, with pin point precision. Just because you've not seen it before, doesn't mean it is unsafe, or that the practice is deplorable. (It may surprise/disgust you that there are several professional companies operating within the UK itself that collude in this sort of behaviour as well!)

On the subject of jackets and woolly hats; have you ever stepped foot on a hangar floor in the UK after the doors have been opened? It tends to stay quite chilly for a good time afterwards. These lads in Kiev would probably rather keep themselves warm than burn heating fuel out through the roof. What nonsense.

The suggestion of sterile environments, jigs and laser aligning is just laughable. You are aware that this aircraft was flying around in Torrance, CA a few weeks earlier aren't you? It is disassembled in its most simplest form, packed for transport, before being put back together again. This is not the final assembly line we are looking at here.

AS365N4, I'd say that list you described probably got left on the cutting room floor. Just because its not in the video, doesn't mean it didn't happen. To suggest it didn't happen at all is slightly idiotic, wouldn't you agree?

Didn't catch the bit where glue was applied with a big hammer either, maybe you can enlighten me where that bit was.

Merry Christmas!

The Night Owl
23rd Dec 2015, 22:46
Much tidier than all the Robinson disassembling videos on YouTube

And autopilot too yikes!, might clash a bit with the embedded autocrash setting

:p

as365n4
24th Dec 2015, 13:20
@An_engineer

So people riding on the back of a lorry unsecured is acceptable then?
Working at height without poper staging which has hand/safety rails is acceptable then?
And people standing halfway underneath the Rotor Disc during Start is acceptable then?

I say bollocks!

The company which was featured in the Video provides Commercial Air Transport! We are not talking about some Shaddy General Aviation Garage!
Even the Ukraine is not a Member State of EASA, but they have Aggrements with EASA which means they should work to same high standards as an EASA Member.

As Part145 Company when you service more than 1 Aircraft you need to have ALL Aircraft Parts tagged/labeled and clearly seperated from each other, the same goes for Spares!
And when it comes to installing or removing Critical Parts like a Main Rotor Mast assembly you need a more precise lifiting device than a hydraulic arm on the back of a lorry as these have a tendency to be rough as f*ck.
Similar thing with the Tailboom which again is a Critical Part and needs to be in a Jig to support it during installation / removing as it needs to be fitted stress free and there are Alignment checks required afterwards! (same goes for the MGB/Mast Assembly)

All this is Engineering 101, the Basics!

And Maintenance Manuals have to be on the shop floor beside the Aircraft and not hidden away in some Office, these are for the Engineers to be used!
Also there has to be a Tool Control in place, especially when you don't have enough Tools to seperate them for each Maintenace Bay/Dock!

To me it looked like they have NO Quality Control and Health and Safety at all.

That's why this Video is the worst Advertisement for this Touring Operator!