PDA

View Full Version : First 100 Posts - Freebie 2016 Calendar

KiwiNedNZ
15th Dec 2015, 04:55
Morning All,

I know the industry is going through a bit of a downturn at the moment so thought I would do something to help bring a bit of cheer to some of you.

First 100 people who post on here why they enjoy the helo industry and their most memorable moment will win themselves a freebie copy of our 2016 calendar.

All you need to do is add your post to this thread then send me a PM with where to send it.

Have a good Christmas everyone.

Ned

P.S. Senior Pilot - Hope this is ok.

ShyTorque
15th Dec 2015, 05:46
Well, flying helicopters is much better than working for a living! :p

One of my most memorable flights ended with a little Chinese baby being born in the cabin, seconds before his mother was able to be transferred to the waiting ambulance. He wasn't expected to have survived, but did. We all shed a tear of happiness. :) :{

Gray 14
15th Dec 2015, 05:56
I wanted to fly helicopters as far back as my high school days. Managed to pass the Army flight school and have never looked back. 42 years of operating those wonderful machines.

I guess my most memorable flight was a dusk/dark extraction of LRRPs on ropes (McGuire Rig) under fire. After reaching a secure area, we landed and got the Rangers on board. During the flight back to base someone produced a bottle of Jack Daniels. The one time I broke the "bottle-to-throttle" rule.

minigundiplomat
15th Dec 2015, 06:17
Because jet noise is boring.

Watching the sun rise over the desert as you head back for breakfast after a long night of flying.

MOSTAFA
15th Dec 2015, 06:27
Climbing out on top of a solid cloud base into glorious sunshine when it's wet and cold below is as beautiful today as it was 35 years ago. A sight everybody should be allowed to witness.

Flying Bull
15th Dec 2015, 06:30
Nice idea!
Why I like to be within helicopters?
Lots of reasons - normally the boss is left behind - its up to me how to complete the task.
Furthermore, its just fun to move (nearly freely) around the three dimensions with spectecular views.
And while others pay a lot to have the chance to get airborne I get paid for just that. O.K. at night, with the ceeling coming down, high tension wires in front of you and the 30 to 40 knots wind in the back, blowing you towards the wires which you haven´t mad out yet is less funny :sad: and not payed good enough for these moments.....

but really - boys never really grow up - they just get taller and play with more expensive toys....
And cause I can´t buy my own helicopter, I have someone else to give me one :E

Senior Pilot
15th Dec 2015, 06:30
P.S. Senior Pilot - Hope this is ok.

Fine by me, Ned. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas in the Land of the Long White Cloud :ok:

Ed Winchester
15th Dec 2015, 06:41
Nothing beats the variety that helicopter flying can bring you.

After 27 years of flying (and still going strong) - both mil and civ - in lots of interesting places, I would say my most memorable moments are those times that I managed to get my family involved: taking my wife flying in Canada in a B412, taking my parents flying (one at a time!) in an R22, and taking a heli to the Outer Hebrides for a school visit - the school just happened to be next door to my grandparents. All great days.

Flyting
15th Dec 2015, 06:46
Because right now I'm saving living flying rescue... and every day brings a new experience that is memorable :)

Hughes500
15th Dec 2015, 07:01
Using a 500 to move thousands of bags of heather and gorse brash to the top of the Peak District to try and neutralise the effects of 250 years of industrial pollution. Nice to put something back into the environment !

Rotorbee
15th Dec 2015, 07:10
... because I can't stand jet noise anymore, but I will never get tired of helicopter noise. :p

bingofuel
15th Dec 2015, 07:14
First ever flight in a helicopter, lifts into the hover, hangs there, fairly stable, not quite level and I can remember thinking, this is all very different from fixed wing!
I was also quite surprised at the level of vibration even though it was a twin turbine.

Rwy in Sight
15th Dec 2015, 07:23
When I read the first post I did not know what to answer (since unfortunately I am not a pilot) but the more I think the more reasons I get:

Because flying in a helicopter is much much more elite than airline flying :ok: and it is good to say around that I have flown in a hello

Because the first flight in a helicopter was from I think Laguardia (sp?) to JFK at the end of my first trips in the States. Fascinating experience and much more so because it was in a Pan Am chopper so within two weeks I had flown on both the largest and smaller Pan Am aircraft.

Because the second (and last so far) flight was so meaningless and unnecessary but joyful, fun and memorable that is really worth mentioning and saying it was great being on it. It was a positioning flight from a small Air Force field to a field outside a hotel. The Air Force was ok with allowing the chopper to use the field during daylight hours but not ok with letting the machine to overnight so it has to be flown out. I was offered a front seat on the flight (a few minutes duration) and it was terrific. It was really worth doing it even I missed a lift home by car and had to take the train - as a matter of fact the combination of chopper - train beat the boring car ride hands down.

Because when the Air Force has its open days and I visit the local SAR base (the main base of the country) they provide (as merchandising) the smartest t-shirts . The have one which in the front says the number or the Squadron and at the back the mention: "Only God has saved more". The colors are great too. And they also had one with a smiling UH-1 Huey and horse collar life jacket (I hope it makes sense other wise I have to put a picture).

Because when I has serving as a radar/TACAN tech in the Air Force the idea of oversleeping and not switching on the TACAN for the arrival of the Land Army's Apaches making me waking up several time during the night. As a matter of fact the Apaches arrival provided me with the most sleepless night during my service in the Air Force.

Because the apartment where I live is close to a heli-lane and I love the noise of the helicopters.

Because all though I have a long admiration for fix-wing aircraft the screen saver I have for my lap-top is one from the Helicopter arm of the National Navy and not an Air Force one.

Happy and full of employment 2016 for all of us.

Rwy in Sight

KiwiNedNZ
15th Dec 2015, 07:50
Remember that when you have made your post send me a private message with your postal address to send the calendar to.

Cheers

Agile
15th Dec 2015, 08:28
Because ATC treats you differently, they want you to stay low very low away from those pesky airplane, and just a bit higher when their radar cannot see you :O. Especially when its a beautiful day and the scenery is unique:ok:.

15th Dec 2015, 08:37
Being helicopter pilots just makes us better, cooler and generally more awesome than the rest of society so we can look down on them physically and metaphorically:E:ok:

Smeagol
15th Dec 2015, 09:41
Why do I like the industry:
Because I have used it as SLF over the last 40 years to get to work in the offshore oil & gas industry, which enabled me to earn a nice living:):):ok::ok:

Most memorable moment:
Several

Flying at a couple of hundred feet down the Norfolk cost in the back of a Wessex with the door open and waving to the trippers on the beach. (late 1970's I might add)
Flying to a remote village in the Sumatran jungle and seeing everyone for miles around come to see the aircraft (and the odd Western occupants!) (both were a novelty in the early 1980's )
Getting taken off a NUI (Normally Unmanned Installation) in the North Sea at about 2300 hrs after preparing to spend the night due to the stormy weather. A marginal improvement allowed the aircraft to collect us and avoid a fairly uncomfortable night. (Early 1990's)

Thracian
15th Dec 2015, 09:59
I´m not "in the industry" because I´m just a PPL and only spend my money in helicopter flying, but from this perspective:

Nothing beats the spectacular views you can have from inside a heli-cockpit to the world below (or the trees around you while hovering in a remote forest glade), and it gets even better, if you share this experience with your family or friends.

A heli is definitely not the right tool to just "get there", but if the trip is the goal, than you're best seated in a front row of a helicopter ;-)

Always happy landings

Thracian

CRAN
15th Dec 2015, 10:06
I'm usually very eloquent but given my totally irrational love of helicopters I can't seem to express it any better than this: 'Because flying helicopters makes you feel like the king of the world!'

This year some highlights have been flying into Dunsfold to do a lap of the TopGear track, flying my family into Goodwood Festival of Speed and receiving the full VIP treatment on arrival, a couple of lovely weekends away with wifey up in the mountains and sharing several peoples first experience of helicopter flight and the face-aching grin that it generates.

:ok:

Boessie
15th Dec 2015, 10:20
I enjoy working in the helicopter industry as it is a small world and with very interesting people. The fact that helicopters can be very dangerous make everyone involved very aware of safety and that is something you don't see anywhere else to that level. My most memorable moment is experiencing an AW139 doing fully automated SAR maneuvers during a CofA check, very interesting to see what the aircraft can do itself.

stiarno
15th Dec 2015, 12:26
The joy of flying helicopters with the freedom of 3 dimensional flight and the capability to do things other aircraft cannot do makes the helicopter the best machine ever.
There's so many memorable moments, but one moment which I still grin about years later was the freedom of my first solo, taking off and then immediately 'overtaking' a police car which was just below in a 30mph limit with me doing over 60mph.....fantastic:D

Matvey
15th Dec 2015, 12:37
Because designing facilities for helicopters is always an interesting challenge and makes you appreciate their unique capabilities.

As for the most memorable moment - I have the privilege of watching the US President's helicade 6-10 times per year; 3 Ospreys and 2 VH-3s, movements all perfectly choreographed. Never gets old.

beebo
15th Dec 2015, 13:16
I love this industry because it's taken me to places that I never thought I'd go. I love that you can fly the same machine doing completely different tasks requiring different skills.
My most memorable moment was my first Alaskan PIC flight, realising a 15 year dream.
Merry Christmas

vaqueroaero
15th Dec 2015, 13:39
I have had a very blessed 16 year career so far. I have flown all over the world and have seen sights that very few have seen. I've been fortunate enough to have flown a large variety of different types, from the R22 to the 412 & S76C++.
Right now I have found my niche in crop spraying on the plains of North Texas and South Oklahoma. The challenge of keeping a highly unstable piece of machinery on swath all day never gets boring.
Its not work if you love what you do.....so I've not worked very much lately!

nocarsgo
15th Dec 2015, 14:15
The visibility from a helicopter is awesome. Having to control a helicopter with all your limbs makes it feel like the aircraft is more a part of you. My favorite memory of flying is ferrying a 500 across Oregon and my wife got to go along. It was great to get to see her experience a longer flight where you see varying terrain and weather. Storms poping out around us with the lighting looked amazing. Luckily we landed just as a thunderstorm was about to hit the airport.

FC80
15th Dec 2015, 14:49
I'm a sucker for machinery and engines, and machines don't come much more impressive than a helicopter - there is something about a lump of metal that can pick itself off the ground and just sit there :ok:

The actual industry is full of interesting and intelligent people too, from extremely diverse backgrounds, united by one passion - whingeing :E

Best moment so far - probably flying family members, run close by seeing what 5000 horsepower, no passengers and a third of a tank of Jet-A climbs like though :}

What a cool thing to do by the way Ned - kudos! :)

whoknows idont
15th Dec 2015, 14:57
First of all I enjoy the helo industry because it brings together a very fun blend of great and down-to-earth people, connected by a common passion, happy because they get to work with what they love. Secondly it's awesome because it's helicopters, so basically the coolest thing man has invented ever.
Most memorable moment might be my first xc solo. But hard to say because there are so many great memories!

Thanks a lot for the christmas spirit! :ok:

diethelm
15th Dec 2015, 15:22
I enjoy the industry because flying is a lot more fun than what I do for work. So it is the perfect escape.

My favorite story is when Ned got me a belly skin to finish a helicopter I was having built. :D

jimf671
15th Dec 2015, 15:42
I (and a 1000 people like me around Scotland) get to fly in helicopters to go and help people who are having the worst day of their lives and which could turn into the last if we don't get out there and sort things for them. That has got to be the best thing in the world to do with your spare(?) time and helicopters make it even more successful (and we don't have to walk as far). :ok:

Scottish Mountain Rescue, Volunteering to save lives (http://www.mountainrescuescotland.org/)
Team Area : Kintail Mountain Rescue Team in Wester Ross , Scotland (http://www.kintailmrt.org.uk/area.htm)
Conditions Central - Kintail MRT - Scotland (http://www.kintailmrt.org.uk/conditions.htm)

Memorable moments?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04lqdPHb9tI From 5min21s.
First call-out. Night insertion by Sea King (pre-NVG age), six hours probing, and walk out. Not a good outcome unfortunately. (http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/)

helomaint
15th Dec 2015, 16:09
Not a Pilot, justawrench. Thirty plus years, seen a great part of this world as a result. US Army Recruiter had me hook, line and sinker at 17 y.o. ("Son, how would you like to be an Attack Helicopter Repairer - oooohh!!). Cobras for eight years, then on to Civvie side, many makes and models, and more travel. Europe, Asia, Africa, this Yank still loves to travel. But only if it is 'Even Time'. Great satisfaction seeing the beast start, hover, wiggle a bit, and take off to do it's job (Pax, Pony and Cargo). Return is always the best feeling. Give it a bath, inspect the same bits every day, make sure all is good for next flight. If a Pilot ever asked me to go with, what would/should he do if I said no. Don't worry, never happens I decline a ride...

Here's to keeping the oily side down for years to come.

Fun Police
15th Dec 2015, 16:39
becuase i like free stuff!

my favourite memory would be first solo in the lower mainland of BC, but that might change if i get one of these calendars :ok:

fp

rugmuncher
15th Dec 2015, 16:57
Almost full circle in the industry, ready for the beach soon.

Mem-mom:

Flying over my wife to be, then meeting her that night in town.

Working on Wokka stuff at the moment.

Dupre
15th Dec 2015, 17:29
Because the view and feeling of flying a chopper can't be beaten! Though I don't work in the helicopter industry, I do get regular ribbings from my rotary mates about flying planks!

I'll give you two memorable moments to make up for the fact I am a plank driver...

Firstly Intro flying lesson, approaching the R22 hunched over, blades turning, while my mate got out and I got in for a go at the controls... made me feel like I was in a war movie!

Secondly low level checking out elephants in the Kafuwe national park in an E120.

KiwiNedNZ
15th Dec 2015, 19:33
Anyone else :) Doing bailout this week so you might even get it before Christmas :)

MightyGem
15th Dec 2015, 20:37
Thanks Ned. PM enroute.

soloviev
15th Dec 2015, 20:42
Love it because I could meet great people from all around the world.
Love it because employees are always there to help their competitors when they need a hand,
Love it as they're great picture subjects too.

FLY 7
15th Dec 2015, 20:47
Received one of your Calendars a few years ago - lovely quality pics - so, everyday we are reminded how lucky we are to be able to fly man's cleverest ever invention.

twinstar_ca
15th Dec 2015, 22:25
Ever since being a kid watching Chuck and PT, helicopters have been part of my life... One of the best highlights was marrying my wife on the side of a mountain after flying up by helicopter.... :ok::O

Lude-og
15th Dec 2015, 22:30
My best memory so far is probably sending my first student solo, it didn't seem like that long ago that I took that step myself!
If that is a bit cliche then flying with my first fee paying pax inside Mount Wai'ale'ale crater on the island of Kauai in Hawaii blew my mind a bit...as far from staring at an Irish Air Corps Dauphin doing patterns at Carrickfinn Airport in Co.Donegal as one could imagine, but that's where it all started for me!

Cheers Ned!

detgnome
15th Dec 2015, 23:28
Naff but true - most of the time it beats working for a living!

Most memorable moment was probably the rescue of 4 divers - all fit and well, but probably didn't realise how close they were to not being found.

SSBirdman
16th Dec 2015, 00:44
My most memorable moments were working in Western China. We has an AS350 B2 moving equipment for an oil exploration company. Living and working there was a life experience. Merry Christmas.

aa777888
16th Dec 2015, 00:48
I'm still relatively new to helicopters, so my most memorable moments are still associated with the learning process. The first time I tried to hover (with million dollar jets all around the ramp). The first pirouette. Some dynamic curving auto's and flares to put it into a "good" spot when flying with the owner of the school ("Lost your engine, sorry..."). The feeling when same owner said "Moose on the runway!" (there wasn't one) and I turned the air taxi into a quick stop and damn if it wasn't exactly what he wanted. Easy stuff for all the rest of you, but still damn exciting for me :}

Kirt Hood
16th Dec 2015, 04:17
Helicopters to me are like magic carpets, to be able to see what's on the other side of that mountain in an instant without breaking a sweat or to fly overhead and check out an old relic of a car sitting in the bush in the middle of nowhere, close up. Unlimited possibilities.

Best memory.... Sitting on top of one of those mountains, remote lake, having a picnic with the wife.

Thanks Ned

Peter-RB
16th Dec 2015, 06:04
I fly Heli's just for the sheer fun of vertical flight from any place that only that type of aircraft can get out of, or into, ... however to be a Pro Heli Pilot would indeed be my picture of heaven, sadly however I was too old, even from the day I passed my first solo way back in the 1998 years..

Peter R-B

why_not
16th Dec 2015, 06:21
The memory i quite often revisit my time with boatpix in Florida. Just roaming around the shoreline, watching boats, dolphins and girls flashing. Only separated by fuel stops, food and darkness.
Be safe

Anchornut
16th Dec 2015, 07:48
Most memorable moment, going for rotor track and balance flights over Norwich in S76C++ as an apprentice. Also going for a jolly post rotor head inspections -Shetland isles. I never knew an S-92 could do those manoeuvres!

ahwalk01
16th Dec 2015, 10:40
Most memorable moment, as a CCF cadet in a Wessex, being allowed to crawl across the floor and stick my head out as we flew along - great fun.

Alex.

Whirlygig
16th Dec 2015, 11:02
What I like best about the helicopter industry is that everyone is friendly, helpful and supportive, no matter what level you are. In finance, there is such a thing as a stupid question ( :rolleyes:) but in the rotary world, there isn't :D

My most memorable flights were when I flew my parents; an experience I cannot now repeat!

Cheers

Whirls

lotusmutus
16th Dec 2015, 12:28
The freedom to go anywhere and stop anywhere you can get the chopper down. Unbeatable!
Have had the privilege to learn in Hawaii at MLH some 11 years ago. The most memorable moment was a MOST spectacularly clear day when the day was just beginning, flying at around 8000 ft in a 44 with two good friends over the side of an old lava flow near Mauna Kea, making a turn and being able to see every island between Hawaii, all the way to Kauii, with Maui, Molokai, Lanai and Oahu all sharply visible and even Kauii in the distance. That's almost 300 miles! It was truly a once in a lifetime breathtaking view, and shared with great friends.

KiwiNedNZ
17th Dec 2015, 02:46
If you have made a post on the thread make sure you send me a PM with the address you want calendar sent to. Last mailout before Xmas is going on Monday so send it asap.

Also still got a bunch left to give away so check the first post of the thread and then make your post to get yourself a calendar. Best one we have done so far :)

Stanwell
17th Dec 2015, 05:08
OK then, can I apply?
While not a chopper pilot, I've logged a few hours in the left-hand seat.
Initially with the Oz Army (Bell 47s), Parks and Wildlife (Gazelle) and then in mineral exploration (K-B 47s).

In terms of saving time and money (and not to mention lives) the helicopter is, of course, in a league of its own.
In exploration for example, I could achieve in one morning what would have otherwise taken many painful days by other means.
With Parks & Wildlife, inserting and extracting fire-fighting teams in critical locations would not otherwise have been possible in the time available to us.
As for the military applications, well, so many times it was a game-changer for us.

The most memorable?
As far as raising my adrenaline level to the red line, it was actually on the ground.

Early one morning in western Queensland, while the pilot was doing the walk-around, I was loading the photographic equipment etc into the K-B 47.
Unbeknown to us, a large Brown Snake (a particularly nasty and venomous type) had occupied the cab.
He made it clear that he was MOST unhappy about being disturbed and missed my hand by inches as he buried his fangs into the bag I was loading.

Naturally, this caused a bit of an upset and, while I was trying to stuff my heart back into my chest, one of the guys had a bright idea.
He grabbed the CO2 extinguisher and emptied its contents into the area occupied by the snake - giving him the idea that it would probably
be more comfortable elsewhere.

Over a much-needed cuppa, we speculated on the outcome if he'd made his presence known when we were airborne over difficult country.

MReyn24050
17th Dec 2015, 14:59
Worked in the aviation world for over 50 years before retirement. Flown in many types of helicopters from Westland Dragonfly to Westland Puma over the years. My first flight was in a Dragonfly as a cadet in the School CCF at RNAS Ford.

MaxR
17th Dec 2015, 15:42
With the time of the year and families in mind, it strikes me that the best thing about the helicopter industry is that it's like one, big extended family. You can't spend ten minutes talking to someone without finding out that they know well someone who you know well, too.

Moments are so tough to pick but I do remember circling a late summer field of corn with a low, red sun when, out of the deeply shadowed crops came a hare at full speed followed very quickly by a fox. Halfway across the field the fox gave up, it was still too damn hot to be chasing hares. The reason it stayed with me is that no-one else could see that. The people driving on the nearby road, the people in the local village and the people sat on the airliner 35,000 feet above me - none of them could see it. That is one of the great privileges we have, we see the world as few have. Of the 110 billion people who have ever lived, fewer than 10% have been alive while we've had aviation and about 5% of them have flown and just 1% of them have flown in a helicopter. For every one lucky enough to simply fly in a helicopter there have been perhaps 20000 human beings who never will. What a privilege - Merry Christmas.

How Nice
17th Dec 2015, 17:50
Working in the Aviation (helicopters) industry for over 20 years and still loving it as much today as I did as a starry eyed teenager.
Favourite moment has to have been working out of Evenes in Northern Norway and being treated to a wonderful night of northern lights.....truly spectacular.

berwynnz
17th Dec 2015, 21:40
You cant beat the amazing places we get to see as part of our profession...

Most memorable moment would have to be flying to a gps point where an ELT was going off. Then seeing a crashed floatplane in the trees.....and a waving pilot besides it! He was very lucky...

Flyin'ematlast
18th Dec 2015, 15:50
Where else will legends like Dennis Kenyon and Phil Croucher give up their time to hang around newbies like me imparting knowledge and sharing the simple joy of their experience? :D

My most memorable moment (a long moment) was spending over 4 hours with the Met Police ASU and riding along for 3 shouts. Nothing compares to hovering alongside the hub of the London Eye after midnight for sheer cool, Thanks guys.

Ian.

Reafidy
18th Dec 2015, 23:59
I enjoy the helo-industry because of its challenges and every time I fly I see something new.

Most memorable moment: Sunrise over the first sight of land after 180nm winch job out to sea in the night.

IceHeli
19th Dec 2015, 10:19
Well the first one is easy! I have always loved aviation there is just something about it, as for helicopters there is just that extra bit of excitement, problem solving on the next level and more things to watch out for.

The second one is a lot more tricky. A lot of the time it is the last flight, there is always something new, a ridge to conquer, a slope waiting to be tamed or a volcano to be watched.

Happy flights and merry Christmas!

KiwiNedNZ
20th Dec 2015, 07:48
Last mailing out before Christmas and New Years is going in 48 hours so anyone else after a calendar.

ROTORVATION
20th Dec 2015, 08:19
15 years since my very first flight; awe inspiring views, especially 6000ft up in the Swiss Alps, or looking at the London Syyline from above.
Overall though, the best thing about flying Heli's is the likeminded people that I work with and the pilots in the wider industry that I meet along the way. Happy Christmas everyone! Hope it's a good 2016.

Floppy Link
20th Dec 2015, 11:40
Like lots of previous posters said, it beats working for a living!
I've got about 6000hrs on the 757 and 767 and jacked it in 10 years ago to come back to rotary on HEMS and Police…love it. Every day is different, and I mostly get to sleep in my own bed, with a 15 minute commute, no security nazis, no staff car park, no deep night flights etc etc. I do miss hooning the 757 round at low level on a visual approach into a Greek island, but get my fixed wing kick from an SSDR WW! replica.

Plus we get to help people in trouble too...

Self loading bear
20th Dec 2015, 12:06
It was not my first flight but definitely the first as a single passenger in an offshore Cab.

I was scheduled for a one full day survey on a Rig Drilling on the Dutch German divide line. I came out White Thursday but the flight was delayed so I arrived after 18:00 hours.

It showed that there would not be a scheduled flight before Tuesday leaving me on board over Easter or I had to hop on a unscheduled Heli that would bring some urgent spare parts Friday morning at 07:00. But that Heli would only bring me to the next Rig.

Of course I went for that option.
I spent the whole night on the survey.
Grabbed a quick breakfast and was just in time for the chopper. It turned out it brought me to a Rig in the northern Dutch part and I was the only passenger! I was kicked out as capacity was planned for specialists and company men returning to shore before Easter.

However there was a second flight which would take me to the Main platform of the oil Company which was more to the UK-Dutch divide!

From there there were multiple flights every day of which I just got the last one inbound.

I had flewn more than triple the shortest route but did not get the airmiles. At least I was home before Easter!

lelebebbel
21st Dec 2015, 08:03
I fly because I'm not qualified to do anything else :-S

Coming up on 10 years of commercial flying, my most memorable moment? Years ago I did a couple of Eastcoast-to-Westcoast ferry flights in R44s when I was in Australia, those were pretty memorable. Landed in the middle of the Simpson between Birdsville and Alice springs to put in a couple jerry cans of AVGAS. I wasn't planning to shut down for this - anyone who has flown R44s before knows they can be a bitch to start when hot, and it was 43C... however the damn thing started vibrating itself into the sand so I had to stop the engine. Luckily it fired up on the second start attempt.

Interesting about this is that I was 160NM from both Alice and Birdsville, there was no other air traffic from either airport, and the desert was closed to 4WD crossings for the season. So for that half hour or so, I was most likely the only human being within a 160NM radius. Which is the "loneliest" I have ever been, lonelier than most people will ever be in there life I would guess.

air-bender
24th Dec 2015, 02:05
But one of my most memorable is flying back off the ship from an 8 month deployment with my Wife and Newborn son waiting on the ramp...

hookes_joint
26th Dec 2015, 01:22
Has to be the diversity of operations in the industry for me.
Best pictures I have are from the Beautiful Scenery of the Alaskan Range and Brookes Range while pushing 500s and 350s to the max moving stackable core drills.
Most challenging flying has been in the short haul Powerline construction and Aerial Saw sector.
Most frustrating has been moving seismic recording equipment in the triple canopy Appalachians with the BagRunner.
Best comradery had to be working with Bristow in the old days. Most boring flying was also hands down the offshore sector.

pilot and apprentice
27th Dec 2015, 01:14
Landing beside a river in Labrador, with water so clear it looked like the fish were hovering in mid-air. No sign, besides me and the helicopter, that mankind even existed. No noise, no garbage, no powerlines....paradise.

I wish I had never left.

Fun Police
27th Dec 2015, 15:22
mine came in the mail today!
it is very nice, thanks Ned!
fp

r88
27th Dec 2015, 19:35
Are there still calendars available? If so, I would be thrilled to get one!

I love the industry becouse the versatility flying heilcopters provide.

My most menoravle moment, uh, is hard to choose from since there are many memorable moments later on, but first hover, first solo flight and first flight getting paid and having a customer doing his job on my left side, probably are mine.

mln
27th Dec 2015, 20:46
I just love to start up the helicopter and im the PIC :)

aa777888
28th Dec 2015, 17:07
Mine came today. From all the way around the world successfully!

It is a very nice calendar. Indeed my wife has already absconded with it! :}

Thank you very much, Ned, and Happy New Year!

Rocky135
29th Dec 2015, 15:14
Because it's a nice "little" community and almost everybody loves the work.
Because it's the best sound on earth and still can get me goosebumps.
Because you can float around in the most amazing landscapes and feel free.

Once I took a girlfriend for a cross country flight. It was her first helicopter ride, she absolutely loved it and still mentions it years after.

How Nice
30th Dec 2015, 16:09
Calender received today........Fantastic, I'm very happy. Thank you. :O

bolkow
30th Dec 2015, 16:32
Ever since I saw a hiller as a 6 year old boy, the bug has remained, made one with my meccano set paddles and all, could never get enough of them, most likely because with helos if you live in the right place you can get close enough to see all the action unlike at airports and most airfields. I am as interested in them today as I was then, even their profile as they fly.

Nubian
30th Dec 2015, 18:49
The industry have given me the opportunity to be fortunate enough to see quite a bit of the planet I'd normally would not go to and getting paid for it! :ok: Not really able to pinpoint one thing, but the office view at sunrise on a beautiful clear morning after weeks of **** weather hampering my work, everything is forgotten and life is just a ball.

Cheers, and Happy New Year Ned, and all the rest.

MaxR
31st Dec 2015, 17:26
Ned

The calendar arrived today from the other side of the planet and just in time for the new year. It's great, thank you. Happy New Year. Max

minigundiplomat
31st Dec 2015, 20:47
Arrived in France this morning - thanks Ned!!!!

rotorfan
1st Jan 2016, 05:17
I had been a plank driver for 18 years before trying rotary, because I had read how hard it was and wondered if I was up to the challenge. I was like a completely new stude after that intro flight in an R22. It took way too long to earn the rating (fly in the morning, work the remainder of the day hoping to break even), but flying home after the checkride, in the dark, was a real kick and very satisfying. A few days later, I took the R22 to a picnic/fly-in to give some rides. The host's wife got in first. She said she had never flown in a helicopter before. I said, what a coincidence, I've never had a passenger before. The look on her face was priceless.:eek:
Incidentally, it was about 3 months later I found Pprune, and really started learning.

Ned, thanks for your generosity. Your work is magic with a camera.

beebo
1st Jan 2016, 14:51
Thanks for the delivery Ned, much appreciated. Great work

valais
1st Jan 2016, 20:19
One of my earliest childhood memories is flying over the great Aletsch glacier in the Swiss Alps in an SA-319. Been hooked on helos ever since - or as the great Leonardo da Vinci is believed to have said: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Still can't believe I turned out to be PIC...

Happy New Year to everyone and many happy landings in 2016!

R22 HEAVY
1st Jan 2016, 20:58
That magical sensation still while sat in the hover. Being able to take-off and land with Boeing 777s et al at my local international airport. Watching numerous sunrises and sunsets while airborne throughout the year. I could go on. Happy New Year all.

Dave Sharpe
2nd Jan 2016, 10:54
As a non professional Pilot--The one thing that stands out is the social leveller that learning to Fly was---The Guys with the Expensive turbines did not look down at the students struggling to master the R22--while you do need money to learn to fly a heli the fact that somebody has money does not mean that they can fly one---Best flying experience was flying the R22 on a stunning day over the Peak District Dams that had been the practice targets for the Dambusters Ruhr Valley raid with the legend that is Mike Horrell---

Flying Bull
2nd Jan 2016, 11:44
Hi,

Many Tx´s, the calender arrived and found its place :ok:

http://www.polizeifliegerstaffel.de/test/HeliOpsKalender.jpg

Many happy landings!!!!

patatas
2nd Jan 2016, 18:39
I´ve done many different works before becoming a helicopter pilot and I am glad it happened. I simply followed my heart beat and my instinct to guide me through into this carrer. I always thought it was magic whenever a helicopter performed a hover flight, and I still do... I am glad I´ve changed my life and I am a helicopter pilot!
Best moment was when I entered that flight school for the very first time and signed for the pilot course. After that, great opportunities and experiences through out my flight hours... from my first solo, passing through fire fighting in Spain, teaching in Brazil, doing charters in Sao Paulo and now working in the offshore industry. Great moments! I am not very much into taking photos all the time but I try to keep it all in my head for when I grow older and look back...

TripleC
3rd Jan 2016, 14:09
After 47 yrs and 15000+ hours I have finally hung my headset up. A calendar would be a great farewell present.

twinstar_ca
3rd Jan 2016, 19:52
My calendar arrived Friday... looks great!!! Many thanks, Ned.. :D:ok:

KiwiNedNZ
4th Jan 2016, 00:14
ATTN: EVERYONE

Last shipment is going out at the end of next week. So you have until next Friday to make a post on here and more importantly send me a PM with your postal address to send it to. If you post on here and dont send me an address to send it to before the last shipment out then please dont get upset if you dont get one.

Thanks

Ned

FYR
4th Jan 2016, 05:51
Sign me up! The old one has run out!

Floppy Link
4th Jan 2016, 08:44
Mine has arrived at work here in Scotland. Awesome as usual...Thanks Ned!

stiarno
4th Jan 2016, 18:06
Calendar has arrived, thanks a lot, several helicopter pictures for each month....awesome!!

Thracian
9th Jan 2016, 20:11
Returned today from holidays and found the calender in my letter box.

Great pictures, many thanks:D

Thracian

Stitchbitch
10th Jan 2016, 01:20
Watching the sun go down on Wiltshire from the door of a Cab at 100 feet. Chasing a stag up North, lifting a couple of very tired and wet people from a moor and watching them visibly relax and drift off to sleep.

John Eacott
10th Jan 2016, 21:27
First 100 people who post on here why they enjoy the helo industry and their most memorable moment will win themselves a freebie copy of our 2016 calendar.

All you need to do is add your post to this thread then send me a PM with where to send it.

Ned, after 50 years I think it goes without saying why, and many, many moments to remember.

Like a Kiwi photographer catching some hot moments in NSW fires, for one ;)

Rwy in Sight
11th Jan 2016, 06:32
A public thanks for a great gift. Wonderful pictures nice gesture.

Nkrook
11th Jan 2016, 20:42
So far I am just a student not far from my CPL, but helicopters have always fascinated in many ways. The industry seems like a fun and challenging choice, where you learn something new every day!

One memory I'll never forget is the first time lifting up to hover above the ground, a feeling I still can't get used to!

Diode
12th Jan 2016, 16:51
From fire fighting, to HEMS, to law enforcement, to offshore oil & gas support, to sightseeing, to SAR....what can these machines not do? I fell into this business by accident. Studied avionics systems and planned on working a fixed-wing flight line somewhere.

Memory: 11 years old and my first ride in a helicopter was over Hoover Dam/Lake Meade. A Bell 206B and the pilot was a Vietnam veteran who flew Huey's in the war.

helideck
13th Jan 2016, 05:39
Doesn't sound as exciting as others experiences! But mine was the first time I picked up a R22 on my own for the first time! Loved it!

PDMG
16th Jan 2016, 09:09
Each flight holds a memory for me with so many favourite moments to choose from in what is such a short career tbh but the reason I fly helis can be put down to two people. 1. Noel Edmunds for getting his JR on bbc kids to as many times as he could; and 2, My father for saying one day while I was working a corporate 9-5 "I don't know why you don't do your flying - you've always wanted to"

Best moments well they're...

1. My first lesson in a 22 out of Southend and thinking "wow" whilst the instructor was doing pirouettes showing me as he said "what this baby can do"

2. Some 11 years after my first 2 lessons (I then stopped for financial reasons - a corp 9-5 can do that) and about 2 weeks into training start - going solo. I recall that "ohh feeling as I turned left base for the first time" and the radio conversation with exec tower when he asked me to use the parallel taxiway to avoid waiting for incoming traffic, "unable Helicopter 243EH" "But you're a helicopter" - "yes I know but I'm also a student on first solo and my instructor gave me specific instructions, so I'll wait", "ok but you're a helicopter", "Affirm, unable, will hold". I think the Tower guy liked me after that as he was very pleasant and accommodating over the next few months.

3. By far the best moment and one I waited to do for sometime after returning home from assignment, and that was to surprise my father after arranging to meet my parents for lunch at a local restaurant where I had landed behind, to have him come out after dinner and look at my new car in the back car park. My father is scared of heights but took left seat in the 44 for his first ever ride in a heli, which was a rapid London sightseeing trip, as dusk was approaching followed by a really confined landing back in the garden. He loved it and I felt fulfilled to give the guy that pushed me that experience.

md 600 driver
18th Jan 2016, 18:34
I just love the smell of jet AI in the morning

My most memorable and longest flight was UK to Moscow went with the helicopter family

whoknows idont
20th Jan 2016, 05:17
I received my calendar yesterday. Thank you very much Ned, it's awesome! :ok:

helideck
20th Jan 2016, 05:51
Got my calendar last night. Thank you very much!

detgnome
20th Jan 2016, 09:34
Got mine recently as well. Many thanks for an incredibly generous gesture.

r88
20th Jan 2016, 11:25
Got my calendar, I am so very thankful !

Self loading bear
20th Jan 2016, 19:50
Ned,
Amen to All of the above.
The kids saw it and said:
"Oh Dad, you are not going to take that to the office, are you? We want it here at home.
So in the office I will have to do with the monthly Rotorheads screen saver.

Cheers SLB

Nkrook
23rd Jan 2016, 17:36
Mine just arrived today here in Sweden!

FC80
23rd Jan 2016, 17:43
Thanks very much from me too Ned! Fantastic gesture :ok:

soloviev
26th Jan 2016, 19:24
Hi Ned.
Received, simply awesome. Thanks!

Kirt Hood
26th Jan 2016, 21:24
Hi Ned
I actually received mine a couple of days before Xmas. My wife saw my eyes light up and said I better show that much enthusiasm when I get her pressy.

Cheers
Kirt

Nubian
27th Jan 2016, 15:02
Ned,

Thank you so much for the calendar! Awesome pictures!:ok:

Cheers

patatas
17th Feb 2016, 14:58
Hey Ned,

Got mine here in Brazil. Very nice pictures. Thank you very much for the gesture!

Kindest regards

PDMG
1st Mar 2016, 20:56
Hey Ned - mine arrived in Blighty yesterday morning. Great calendar of heli-porn. Think we need a robbo in the next one ;) Many thanks

whoknows idont
8th Mar 2016, 16:48
Think we need a robbo in the next one ;)

I hope not! :}

whoknows idont
1st Dec 2016, 07:22
Hi Ned, I just flipped the page to December. Thanks again, I really enjoyed it throughout the whole year.
Is there a chance for a new one for 2017? Otherwise I will have to just use the 2016 version for another year...