PDA

View Full Version : Dunker Training at HMS Vernon

lsh
14th Dec 2015, 07:42
And......

The worst bit was the rickety lift to the top!

lsh
:E

MOSTAFA
14th Dec 2015, 09:17
I remember being pretty worried about it the first time, strapped in next to somebody who couldn't even swim! To make him feel better they gave him a red helmet, Poor bugger! The less said about doing it in that bloody silly gas mask thing the better.

John Eacott
14th Dec 2015, 09:54
Like this?

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/1400-2/Dunker+training.JPG

Herod
14th Dec 2015, 15:15
Oh Goodie. I CAN post on this thread without thread drift. We never had the option of the big cockpit window. It was the cabin windows for us, which in theory were too small for someone wearing a waistcoat type dinghy. Don't you believe it. Two solo runs, then one double, being nearest the window, and one being furthest, waiting for the other bu**er to get out.

diginagain
14th Dec 2015, 18:18
We had a couple of Kuwaiti students on our course who, had it not been for the diligence of the safety divers, would have joined the underwater welding course at street level.

Rosevidney1
14th Dec 2015, 18:36
The water felt freezing when I did it, three immersions in different attitudes. The Egyptian guys were next, hard on our heels (they had just bought Sea Kings) so it must have been a particular ordeal for them. Not something I would wish to do again!

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2015, 18:41
One large sized rugby player of my acquaintance had a bit of an issue undoing his QRB and came out still wearing the harness and the metal bracket it had been fastened to.

Another one did his best to swim under the pilots' seats. Another tried to swim off down the tailboom.

All good fun. :E

Pontius Navigator
14th Dec 2015, 19:43
It seems funny how each Service concentrates on particular aspects of post-disaster recovery but ignores different elements of the same disaster.

Regular dinghy drills but no water entry, combat survival but no over night, no R2I, etc - not talking about the full blown training for instructors but the regular practice for the shags.

Dunker comes closer but does it continue to a dinghy drill.

Do the cousins have more realistic training for sqn shag?

MightyGem
14th Dec 2015, 22:05
and one being furthest, waiting for the other bu**er to get out.
Got lost in the back doing that. Ended up in an air bubble. :eek:

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2015, 22:14
Pontius, So you never did the Mountbatten Sea Survival Course, the Bad Kohlgrub Winter Survival Course etc?

John Eacott
14th Dec 2015, 23:11
HUET currency is a requirement these days for fire ops in Australia, so every couple of years it's back for another go. Includes lifejacket & dinghy drills, and rebreathers for those who fly with them. Did mine last month, no idea how many times that would be since the first in 1969! Most offshore, ambulance and police do them regularly as well.

There's a certain evil satisfaction in being tasked first out with the other to follow you, taking a deep breath and waiting.....waiting.....to see when he'll crack :E

Pontius
15th Dec 2015, 00:24
Knowing, from the lectures at Seafield Park, that you were supposed to wait until all movement ceases before making your way out, it was mildly concerning (to say the least) when we made our way to the tower and I thought the Dunker had to get all the way to the bottom before we could get out. It wasn't until we got to the top and into that horrible little shack that I realised it had a false floor. After that it was okay :)

One of my mates on our course managed to get his helmet caught among the seats/straps. When the divers brought it out to him the chin strap was still done up and, try as he might, he could not replicate getting out of the helmet without undoing the strap. Wonderful stuff adrenaline.

The Yeovilton Dunker was so much more civilised, especially for VL-based aircrew :ok:

Pontius Navigator
15th Dec 2015, 07:16
ST, Mountbatten too many times, BK no, few V-Force had that chance. Did Jungle course once but Goose wasn't running then.

tucumseh
15th Dec 2015, 08:57
Dunker avoidance strategy. Have a heart attack, or four. Surgeon General says "never again". :ok: Always look on the bright side...

charliegolf
15th Dec 2015, 09:36
Pontius, So you never did the Mountbatten Sea Survival Course, the Bad Kohlgrub Winter Survival Course etc?

As well as those of us who did the short jungle survival course in Belize...

And a short Arctic one in Norway!

CG

John Eacott
15th Dec 2015, 09:44
Don't forget the stiff wing setup:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/7384-2/FW+HUET.jpeg

david parry
15th Dec 2015, 14:54
Loved the Dunker at HMS Vernon, then on to the hard, for a few wets in the Apple tree;) ps nice photo JE

Herod
15th Dec 2015, 19:36
On the Mountbatten course, we set off in the launch, and I watched several on the course being dragged across the sea, simulating a canopy still extended. Me, wearing the waistcoat dinghy, was silly enough to remark that I wouldn't have to do that. "No" says Jack Flint, "and you wouldn't inflate your life jacket until clear of the chopper", followed by a smart push off the back end of said launch.

ShyTorque
15th Dec 2015, 19:59
I found jumping off the back of that motor launch into the big rooster tail of aerated sea water far more daunting than the HUET itself.

The first time our OCU course did the sea survival training off Mountbatten, it turned into a real rescue because the swell was stronger than the staff anticipated and we began getting washed onto the rocks on the seaward side of the breakwater. The Whirlwind got called away part way through the winching exercise but had to come back to rescue us!