PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine causes problems to Russian programs

Heathrow Harry
4th Dec 2015, 11:27
The latest edition of Seaforths " World Naval Review" points to problems encountered by the Russians due to non-availability of engine technology from the Ukraine -

This is affecting their new Project 2235 & Project 1135 Frigates which are designed around Ukrainian gas turbines - apparently only enough turbines to fit 3 out the planned 6 1135's were delivered prior to the invasion of Crimea and the second of the P 2235's has had to surrender a turbine to replace a fire damaged article in the fleet leader

The smaller P2038's use Russian engines but the improved 2038.5's are based on MTU/RR engines

Presumably there are similar issues across the whole military supply chain for Russia

NutLoose
4th Dec 2015, 12:07
I seem to remember reading they also had problems with their ICBM technology as well, as they were maintained by the Ukraine.

sandiego89
4th Dec 2015, 13:13
The list of programs Ukriane is involved with seems quite long and includes air, land, sea, space and all sorts or armament and sensors, with Antonov perhaps being the most recognized name to us in the west.

The problems also go in the other direction as I note the recent discussion to go with a "westernized" An-124 free of Russian gear, as there are concerns about Russian spare parts and support.

PhilipG
4th Dec 2015, 13:58
The Russians also have had problems with their aircraft carriers, they were all built in the Ukraine, so it was an interesting learning curve when one was sold to India, I am not sure that the Russians had the required drawings.

glad rag
4th Dec 2015, 22:39
Then they need to be careful as they might end up being invaded and the factories suddenly up sticks....

Biggus
5th Dec 2015, 10:37
Best the RN ensures that copies of all relevant Type 26 documents are held in England then!

Heathrow Harry
6th Dec 2015, 14:04
we'll be out of shipyards by then Biggus..................