PDA

View Full Version : Passanger flights and the Syrian war

Sewa
4th Dec 2015, 02:15
Hello,
I have been lurking over this forum but did not register (until now) as I am not a pilot. The reason for this post is my safety concern regarding flying over or close to the Syrian-Iraq airspace. Few months ago, my family and I booked holidays in the Maldives. My understanding is that flights from Europe (Frankfurt) will inevitably cross the warzone between Syria and the Caspian sea. As the situation over there intensifies, we are seriously considering cancelling the trip. How safe are the civil air routes in that area? Call me paranoid but I can't get the Donietsk scenario out of my mind...after all, the Ukrainian airspace was also 'business as usual' until that happened. Our travelling agency didn't quite answer the question and said the routes would remain unchanged for the moment.

I would appreciate your views on this matter.
S.

Nipper1011
4th Dec 2015, 10:40
Hello Sewa

Do not worry, since the MAS shoot down ALL airlines operating through this region are VERY aware of the safety issues. Also dissemination of intelligence information by governments has improved. From FRA you will most likely transit Turkish and Iranian airspace. Dozens of airliners fly these routes every day of the week.

Qwerti
4th Dec 2015, 11:32
There's a relatively recent post about that:

Deadly routes: will your next flight be over a danger zone? (http://www.aerotime.aero/en/people/people-news/editorial/20232-deadly-routes-will-your-next-flight-be-over-a-danger-zone?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=2015-12-04&utm_campaign=AeroTime+Monthly+Newsletter+%7C+November+2015)

I hope that helps

TangoUniform
4th Dec 2015, 13:34
If you're worried about the routing, just check FlightAware for the routing usually flown for your flight.

Sewa
4th Dec 2015, 13:48
The Iranian airspace is considered risky, from what I've read. Lufthansa hasn't started the flights to Male yet, I'll see if I can get some info from them. I'll also watch that space at FlightAware.

Many thanks
S.

777AV8R
4th Dec 2015, 15:15
Have a look here:

Information on Conflict Zones | EASA (http://easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/air-operations/information-on-conflict-zones)

Generally, flights do not transit anywhere near Syria nor do they fly over airspace in the Baghdad FIR.

EASA/UKCAA/FAA continuously provide risk analysis of the situation. Any changes in risk result in the issuance of a NOTAM. (Notice to Airman)

Most flights will transit Turkish airspace and then into Iran then rejoin routing southbound into Kuwait and the Gulf. The opposite is true for most northbound/European bound flights.

Nothing is assured as this whole region is 'fluid' at the moment.

Mr Mac
5th Dec 2015, 03:14
Sewa
I am also a PAX who is a regular on the UK - DXB route and have also been concerned about routing. However I am lucky to have some friends who are pilots who fly this route on a regular basis themselves. Basically they confirmed what has been said above with regards this route, although they do say it has become noticeably busier, and that they were not looking forward to the large Thunderstorms you can get in this area in the summer months. With regards to the carriers on the route I think you will find all European airlines are on this routing including Lufty / BA etc, as well as ME3 and some Far East airlines, and the MH incident was a wake up call to all, so the situation is with out doubt being monitored closely.

Have a good trip, and enjoy the Maldives,

Regards
Mr Mac

Sewa
6th Dec 2015, 18:32
Thanks for the advice