PDA

View Full Version : MK Airlines

Pandabear
20th Jun 2002, 12:09
Hi..can anyone tell me what MK is like to work for....stability and how much the guys fly etc..thanks!

CR2
20th Jun 2002, 12:36
I'll leave this here for a couple of days. I think however you'll have more luck on the African Forum.
3 747-200s and a couple of DC8s. Bad habit of breaking them though.

The Claw
22nd Jun 2002, 07:40
As far as operations go these days, yes they are "stable". Not sure about hours flown, but the crew are great to work with. They have "bent" a few aircraft but knowing the places they fly to, I would expect a few damaged aircraft.

C Montgomery Burns
22nd Jun 2002, 10:12
Damaged?!?! Try crashed and burned .... with fatalities. Latest crash was a B747 in Port Harcourt - aircraft allegedly ran out of fuel. Yet another African flag of convenience cowboy operation.

The Claw
22nd Jun 2002, 14:31
Monty......welcome to Africa, it is the name of the game! :eek:
I'm sure that the CAA would have kicked them out of Manston if they were as bad as you claim! They may not be the slickest guys in town, but they do employ many good people who get the job done! Often under less than ideal conditions. I will not join you and gloat over others misfortunes but they are not the only airline to lose aircraft.

alapt
23rd Jun 2002, 09:37
Soory Claw, but I have to agree with Burns on his points. the crews at MK are definately good "chaps" but they do over extend them selves sometimes! Yes they do the job, because they have to, no one will back them up.....when they say no!!!
Lots of African fields are not up to "European" or "Western" standards and that in its self is sometimes disconcerning, (try Mwanza, 3700 ASL, 10,800 Ft. Runway, with 40 tons of fish, ISA + 10, 7 Kts tail wind, pitched black, flocks of resting birds 50 feet from the runway, and the radar painting CB's all over, and no weather on route or at your destination!!!) but a contract is a contract, as they say!! The record speaks for itself in terms of "dammaged or destroyed" aircraft.
Hah, but what do we (or you Claw) know of statistics?????????
The Europeans have it all wrong I guess!!:(

The Claw
23rd Jun 2002, 10:43
Alapt; I agree with you but compare apples with apples. MK serves a particular market. They handle contracts that most won't, thus risks are greater. I'm not going to slag off other carriers but there are far worse carriers than MK. I can think of one trying to fly out of Angola with a seriously damaged aircraft. They have lost several aircraft in Africa. They also change there name on a frequent basis. My point is that Pandabear could do a lot worse than MK. If I was looking for work, I'ld have no problem working for MK. MK doesn't pack up and move, eveytime it has a problem.

Pandabear
24th Jun 2002, 15:53
Thanks for the help.....I will keep Mk in mind but ......

I have had my share of working for companies that "frequently change names" with little or no support from the operators when things get tough....still sometimes you gotta just grin and bare it if it helps for better things in the future!

More D-P!
24th Jun 2002, 16:22
The last person that I know of, who went to work for them told me you had to be from Zim. Not sure if that is a requirement or a preference.

CR2
25th Jun 2002, 07:09
Moving this over to the African Forum. They can perhaps give you some more/better info.

gurnzee
28th Jun 2002, 15:11
bottom line is that if you know nothing about them, you are wasting your time as you won't get a job there:D

Kabullet
5th Jul 2002, 10:18
Monty, please check facts before mouthing off about things as important as loss of life. Yes a good man died, but not through lack of fuel. That wreckage burnt for more than 5 hours not just due to the frieght carried.:(

G3
6th Jul 2002, 00:47
KABULLET:

Have you ever heard of unusable fuel?

RE: it burned for 5 hours.

G3

soggyboxers
6th Jul 2002, 05:29
Don't speak ill of the dead. I was in Port Harcourt when it happened and the aircraft didn't run out of fuel, nor did it burn for 5 hours. It did crash into the grass quite a long way short of the runway and then, except for the cockpit section, burnt out. It was carrying a lot of helicopter spares including mildly explosive things like fire bottle squibbs.

putco
14th Jul 2002, 00:50
So,hey Monty....

Your application get binned too then....??!

V1 Rotate
21st Jul 2002, 17:00
I have only ever heard good reports from the guys working at MK.
It seems that there are a lot of sour grapes in this forum!!:cool:
V1 Rotate