PDA

View Full Version : Liberator Crash 3 Dec 45 near Rochefort

Wander00
2nd Dec 2015, 15:12
Please spare a thought tomorrow for those who died on 3 December 1945, when a B-24 Liberator of 59 Squadron crashed at Echillais near Rochefort in SW France after being struck by lightning. The aircraft was transporting troops home for Christmas from Italy after the end of the war. All 28 on board died and are buried in the Naval Cemetery at ROCHEFORT SUR-MER. The commune of Echillais is unveiling a new memorial tomorrow to mark the 70th Anniversary and the ceremony will be attended by the son of the pilot,Flt Lt Leslie Joseph SLACK, and several members of RAFA Sud Ouest France

brokenlink
2nd Dec 2015, 22:14
Wander, thank you for taking the time to say thank you on all our behalfs.

Old-Duffer
3rd Dec 2015, 09:29
This was the second fatal Liberator crash on this date.

In addition to KH125, KL677 a Liberator VII of 159 Sqn crashed just after take-off from Pegu, probably following engine failure. The crew of eight, led by Fg Off George Needham 21, were all lost.

Old Duffer

m.street
3rd Dec 2015, 14:06
Very small world - looking in my father's log book (at the time F/O Reg Street) I see he was flying on the same day with 59 Sqn based at Waterbeach

Dec 3 - Liberator - KL673 - F/0 Arbon - Self & Crew - Cairo West - Shaibah
eventually arriving back via Mauripur, Shaibah, Lydda, C.Benito, Holmsley S and finally Waterbeach on 21 Dec with what looks like a tech stop at C.Benito 16-20 Dec.

He was with 59 Sqn Jun 45 - May 46 at Ballykelly and Waterbeach. He trained in Canada starting at Godrich Ontario in Jun 43. 1st Ops Patrol over N. Atlantic 16 Oct 44 with 547 Sqn at Leuchars.

Greatest Respect to those who didn't make it

Wander00
4th Dec 2015, 13:43
Well, that was an interesting day. The French pitched up at the crash site with some 20 or more standards (drapeaux), 3 mayors, the Colonel an other officers from the nearby airbase and some local inhabitants plus 8 or 9 from RAFA Sud Ouest. Wreaths were laid, the national anthems sung (both verses of God save the Queen, I suspect to catch the unwary, and "Vive Grande Bretagne, Vive la France and Vive l'Union European, and the son of the pilot unveiled the new memorial.

In the afternoon respects were paid at the 28 graves in Rochefort Naval Cemetery, itself worth a visit. In all a memorable and humbling experience.

Melfisk50
30th Dec 2022, 23:09
Please spare a thought tomorrow for those who died on 3 December 1945, when a B-24 Liberator of 59 Squadron crashed at Echillais near Rochefort in SW France after being struck by lightning. The aircraft was transporting troops home for Christmas from Italy after the end of the war. All 28 on board died and are buried in the Naval Cemetery at ROCHEFORT SUR-MER. The commune of Echillais is unveiling a new memorial tomorrow to mark the 70th Anniversary and the ceremony will be attended by the son of the pilot,Flt Lt Leslie Joseph SLACK, and several members of RAFA Sud Ouest France
My Mothers Cousin - Senior Aircraftman William Birkett was onboard the flight RIP