PDA

View Full Version : Those Falklands SAR Sea Kings have been excelling again

NutLoose
30th Nov 2015, 18:48
Well done guys and gals, another praiseworthy effort.:D:D:D

British Forces rescue cruise passenger injured in South Atlantic (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/british-forces-rescue-cruise-passenger-injured-in-south-atlantic-30112015)

charliegolf
30th Nov 2015, 19:59
Covered last week Nutty.

CG

salad-dodger
30th Nov 2015, 21:25
Covered last week Nutty.

CG
I don't think it was CG, have another look at the link.

S-D

Union Jack
30th Nov 2015, 21:26
This was actually covered last week.:ok:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/570840-falklands-cruise-ship-trouble.html

Jack

Wander00
30th Nov 2015, 21:36
Different ship, different incident IMHO - very well done all

sycamore
1st Dec 2015, 11:23
Interesting that the SK is doing a HIFR(helo inflight refuel),rather than a deck-land refuel in a very benign looking sea-state.....?

Junglydaz
1st Dec 2015, 12:26
Release to Service and BRd766 (or whatever it is these days)? Maybe it isn't cleared to land on the deck, that is a small ship after all.

Just This Once...
1st Dec 2015, 12:30
Interesting that the SK is doing a HIFR(helo inflight refuel),rather than a deck-land refuel in a very benign looking sea-state.....?

I don't know what respective clearances are in place but I think we can be assured that the SAR chaps are rather adept at hovering next to a cooperative ship and winching stuff up. Indeed, they may practise this quite a bit more than deck landings. It is also a pretty good opportunity to get your eye in before winching the injured chap off the next vessel.

charliegolf
1st Dec 2015, 13:18
Sorry, I'm ex-RAF: 'Never Check, Assume'! :ok:

CG

charliegolf
1st Dec 2015, 13:35

A hundred years ago (approx) HMS London was off Belize when I was there. We were tasked to use our Puma to ferry the cocktail party set to the ship. We landed on, but were NOT to lower the collective all the way because, allegedly, the deck was not stressed for the 4500/5000 kgs we would have been at. Maybe something similar?

CG

Al-bert
1st Dec 2015, 15:00
I don't know what respective clearances are in place but I think we can be assured that the SAR chaps are rather adept at hovering next to a cooperative ship and winching stuff up. Indeed, they may practise this quite a bit more than deck landings. It is also a pretty good opportunity to get your eye in before winching the injured chap off the next vessel.

JTO - Knowing the SAR Captain of this one (we did the SKTU cse together 29 yrs ago!) I can assure you that he's done quite a few deck landings (as did I) and certainly doesn't need any practice to 'get his eye in' for winching !! PMSL :D

MACH2NUMBER
1st Dec 2015, 16:22
Well done one and all. I was once in the decision chain for these Falklands missions and the SK guys were always willing, brave and highly professional.

Just This Once...
1st Dec 2015, 17:17
JTO - Knowing the SAR Captain of this one (we did the SKTU cse together 29 yrs ago!) I can assure you that he's done quite a few deck landings (as did I) and certainly doesn't need any practice to 'get his eye in' for winching !! PMSL :D

;) :ok:

________

JulieAndrews
1st Dec 2015, 18:16
Cracking rescue but I smell an illegal migrant stow-away story trying to sponge off the NHS, UK tax payer et al - bitten by a freaking seal for fex sake.
Who gets the bill?
Right - I'm off to iron my Daily Mail..................

Al-bert
1st Dec 2015, 19:06
Calm down Julie - the gutter press says he was a Brit, on a Russian ship therefore must be a spy, but one of ours?

Anyway, back when I were a lad (ish), my crew and I did a proper S Georgia rescue - ten hours flying, all the way there and back, with a bit of help from RFA Grey Rover for the middle boring bit! No medals, no press, just satisfaction and a sore @rse (no connection!). ;)

Chugalug2
1st Dec 2015, 19:32
Very well done by all involved, and in the highest traditions of the Service. I'm sure that nice Mr Putin will be saying the very same thing, soon.

Bigbux
1st Dec 2015, 21:07
Yes, but now the Russians will have all our treasured Sea King technology secrets. What are we going to do?

Al-bert
2nd Dec 2015, 12:55
Bigbux What are we going to do?

I guess we'll just have to bomb them too :ouch: