PDA

View Full Version : SA training and flying in UK

Glynis
20th Jun 2002, 07:16
Great news for those who have been concerned about the problems of doing conversions and renewals on South African Licences, once they return to the UK after training.

Mr Irv Lee, who is based at Popham, has now, through the Algoa Flight Centre ( www.algoafc.co.za ) been granted approval to conduct SA PPL renewals in the UK in G registered aircraft. There is also a doctor in the UK approved to do SA medicals, so all the paperwork and requirements can be fulfilled in the UK without the expense of another trip to SA.

Equally exciting is the fact that Irv also has approval to do type conversions onto a variety of aircraft types for SA PPL holders. This mitigates the problem of returning to the UK and only being able to fly those types which you learned to fly on in SA.

porridge
20th Jun 2002, 17:42
That is most interesting - does Mr Lee also hold a UK Flight Examiner's Rating? As far as I understand it is a requirement for any person conducting flight tests in the UK to hold this rating for reward to hold a FE (PPL). As a holder of a UK CAA Instructors rating and a SA CAA Grade II, I am quite interested in this topic's content. I would suggest that anyone who need a renewal done for a foreign license should contact the UK Flight Crew licensing department first, before undertaking a renewal/re-validation of their license with anyone who is not an authorised FE (PPL), as the the legality with the UK CAA as to whether or not a test so conducted would be legal.
I look forward to Mr Lee's/Algoa Bay Flight Centre's comments as to the above.

Glynis
20th Jun 2002, 18:26
Mr Lee is most certainly a UK Flight Instructor/Examiner. You can take a look at his site

Irv Lee
[email protected]
http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk
PPL Masterclass Seminars:
http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/seminars.htm

The Algoa Flight Centre made sure that all legalities have been complied with, so anyone who wishes to do a renewal or conversion may freely contact Irv direct.

Irv
22nd Jun 2002, 15:24
I'd advise anyone worried to do what I did and read the relevant part of the ANO, and then if still concerned by all means check with the CAA - they are fully up to date.
I have to be careful with any comments due to PPRUNE rules, but as you may imagine I have been working in proper contact with both the UK CAA in Gatwick and S.A. CAA in Pretoria before jumping through all the flaming hoops required to get 2 sets of ratings and approvals, and both countries have been extremely clear and concise about what they want and how I can operate legally - and I wouldn't want to do anything else - it's never worth operating illegally, as whatever you try which is slightly dodgy, someone will always pick up a phone and report it behind your back.
ps: I never knew how the old method of paying an SA instructor to come over on vacation worked legally! Did he really cost share every flight he did with the pupil?

4HolerPoler
22nd Jun 2002, 23:45
Irv, Glynis as you're aware this is sailing very close to the wind - in the trust that it will serve as a greater potential benefit to leave this thread than bin it we'll keep it going for a while.

4HP