PDA

View Full Version : Ejectees - MB1 Watch

Tarnished
27th Nov 2015, 12:55
Heads up and a bit of a trawl to see if anyone else has had similar approach to the PM I received from T.A.N. below. Not something I would consider that is going to get him much cred in the pub.

What do you think?

Small proposition: MB1

Good afternoon,

My name is Tim Noakes and I'm looking to buy a Bremont MB1 (a watch that can only be ordered by a Pilot that has ejected from a Martin Baker ejection seat). I love the company and think its the best looking watch they do. I

ve been saving for the past 4 years to buy a watch and recently discovered that Martin Baker pay a percentage towards the MB1, which therefore means i have a little bit of money spare in my budget.

My offer would therefore be to ask for your permission to used your ejection details to order the watch (which i obviously pay for), and then i give the extra £2,000 i save to you as a thank you. Essentially i can offer you £2,000 to place an order for a watch.

Side note - I have no interest in buying the watch to tell people I'm and ejectee or a pilot, i just love the look of it and need a watch that can withstand my clumsiness!

I have a lovely watch lady in London that can facilitate this deal, and I'm willing to meet you anywhere in the UK to discuss this is person. Alternatively we can talk on the phone or on skype. You're the boss.

Finally, i understand that ejections are both traumatic and personal events, and so i want to stress that i mean you no offence or discourtesy in asking this of you. I hope my contacting you out of the blue hasn't offended you, and i look forward to your reply.
Best,
Tim

camelspyyder
27th Nov 2015, 13:12
Would a Caterpillar Club badge not be cheaper for "Tim"?

Or maybe he knows that MB1's have listed on ebay for $120,000 in the past.

Timelord
27th Nov 2015, 13:19
The only exclusive thing about the MB1 "ejectee" watch is the red band around the barrel. Identical watches with green or (I think) amber bands can be bought on the open market. I am against trading in them as it reduces the exclusivity of the red banded watch. (available to navigators who eject as well!)

NutLoose
27th Nov 2015, 14:54
Just be careful, there is a scam were someone transfers funds to you and they show in your account, you then purchase the watch and send it off, you may find his cheque / transfer presented to your account may be bogus and can take a while to get back to the originating bank involved if abroad, when it does and is found to be bogus your bank then reclaims the monies from your account and you are left minus both the watch that you have sent off, the monies you paid for it and the monies from the cheque you were given, I would only except cash of the gentleman, and get the bank to check it as it is paid in.

Chris Kebab
27th Nov 2015, 15:12
So is this guy claiming that if you have actually banged out that MB will actually sub you 2 grand towards a watch? Tend to agree with Timelord's sentiment.

wokkamate
27th Nov 2015, 15:23
Seems like a strange request to me....

Why not suggest an MBII instead, identical but you don't have to have banged out to buy one:

http://www.martin-baker.com/merchandise/bremont-watch

camelspyyder
27th Nov 2015, 15:25
Yeah but it's the bloke who wrote to him that sounds dodgy.

Timelord
27th Nov 2015, 15:54
Chris, it is true that Martin Baker subsidise the price of the watch to ejectees. That is why I think it would be a bit tacky to allow someone else to use your details to obtain one under false pretences.

salad-dodger
27th Nov 2015, 15:58
SCAM!

S-D

mopardave
27th Nov 2015, 16:12
just out of principle........no way! surely it devalues the "sentiment" behind this watch? wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!!!
What do I know, the only ejection I've been involved with was in a pub near York some years ago!
(it is a very nice watch though!!)
MD

glad rag
27th Nov 2015, 16:14
Sounds quite a strange setup,

1. he ain't earned it

2. well dodgy giving that sort of info out imo......

.....anyway my resin bodied G shock is even more exclusive: it's been kicked out of the top deck right 1 door of an A380..... merci Garçon .. some under floor PGE requirements meant it was in tool tidy that said :mad:head booted out of door after stepping through the safety tapes...

...what makes it even more exclusive was the tub was jacked up at the time so it's a one off for certain...:8

Survived falling amongst scaffolding and staging all the way down, which is nore than can be said for the snap off pos ratchet handle incidentally, 10 years on and it still corrects itself at 3am anywhere in the world by connection to the atomic clock....

just saying...

Tarnished
27th Nov 2015, 16:26
Nobody else been approached then?

Just to be clear I have no intention of supporting his efforts to get said time piece.

It is fraud and robbery in my opinion. Fraud to pretend you are a bona fide owner of an exclusive watch and robbery to try and get the subsidy from Martin Baker.

If he like the watch he can have it all bar the red barrel direct from Bremont.

Tarnished

Chris Kebab
27th Nov 2015, 17:26
Cheers Timelord; sounds great, but I suppose 2 grand of a heck of a lot still makes it quite a lot!

camelspyyder
27th Nov 2015, 17:43
2 grand is sod all if the top ebay prices are anything to go by.

engineer(retard)
27th Nov 2015, 18:38
It might be cheaper if he paid to eject from something, someone should be able to point him in the direction of an Experience Day like this :cool:

MPN11
27th Nov 2015, 18:45
I have to ask ... Is 'Tim' Nigerian? :E

GeeRam
27th Nov 2015, 19:34
Nobody else been approached then?

Just to be clear I have no intention of supporting his efforts to get said time piece.

It is fraud and robbery in my opinion. Fraud to pretend you are a bona fide owner of an exclusive watch and robbery to try and get the subsidy from Martin Baker

:ok:

(Out of curiosity, I wonder if you'd be entitled to a double discount from MB if you wanted one though ;))

WhiteOvies
27th Nov 2015, 19:58
I was recently told by some folks from Bremont that they have had extremely rich people contact them to see if they can pull some strings with Martin Baker to get them ejected so that they qualify for the watch.

I kid you not, more money than sense! :ugh::mad:

Forgot to say that even if you want a derivitave of an MB1 it would cost more than 2K. I have no time for people like 'Tim'.

salad-dodger
27th Nov 2015, 20:35
It isn't even a nice looking watch!

There someone said it. Surely I'm not the only one.

S-D

Courtney Mil
27th Nov 2015, 22:08
If he approached you by PM, you report it to PPRuNe and get him removed from the site before he can approach more folk. And well done for publicising.

Axel-Flo
27th Nov 2015, 23:14
So, maybe you are actually an ejectee. Your/ your own crews aircrew error or perhaps a sad product of circumstances? Did your PilotNav make it too... Or another stat? In my career, coming on 34 years now, I have lost a fair number of acquaintances (and I choose that nomenclature with much consideration) how cheaply £2k? Would you sell your soul?
Bottom Line........ Not me my friend. :O

Courtney Mil
27th Nov 2015, 23:25
At whom was that aimed, Axel?

msbbarratt
28th Nov 2015, 05:21
(available to navigators who eject as well!)

Just a quick thought. How about villainous James Bond baddies in Aston Martins? And what about Natalie Imbruglia?

On a more serious note, did the seat test 'pilots' who tried out new designs for the first time qualify too? I guess these days they use a crash-test dummy, but there's plenty of YouTube of brave souls being ejected out of cockpits on rocket sleds, or out of test aircraft (MB's preferred testing method?).

PlasticCabDriver
28th Nov 2015, 07:27
Jimmy Fallon presented an MB-1 to his Father-in-Law on the Tonight Show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p0cn5C1-c90

Bravo73
28th Nov 2015, 09:58
If he approached you by PM, you report it to PPRuNe and get him removed from the site before he can approach more folk. And well done for publicising.

Wilco.

Although when he did it last month, he was only offering a £500 incentive. The cheapskate.

RetiredBA/BY
28th Nov 2015, 11:01
It's got to be a scam. Anyway it would be great insult to M-B' s generosity that after saving one's life and making a generous contribution to a superb watch purchase, if they were to be abused in this way.

There are two MB 1s in my family, and they are treasured , MB having saved two lives, had they not, the family would be totally different !

My brother in laws' father ejected from a Sea Vixen, he has now passed on and his grandson remembers his grandad by now owning his MB1.
I ejected from a JP and my MB 1 will go to my no 1 grandson after
I pop my clogs. No 2 grandson will get my Boeing watch ( after almost 20 years as Capt. On these wonderful aircraft, 73, 75, and 76)

Can't think of a better use for these watches, to be remembered by younger family members who also love aviation, as time rolls on ! I am sure these boys will treasure them too.

Two's in
28th Nov 2015, 12:09
It just so happens that in this case the particular vehicle for obtaining gain through false pretenses is an MB watch, but like all internet/e-mail scams, it's nothing to do with watches, but all about relying on people's greed. The rules are simple;

1. If it seems to good to be true, it is.
2. If a stranger contacts you, it's a scam.
3. If they are offering easy money or gain, it's a scam.
4. If any angle relies on your greed, it's a scam.
5. Rule 1 always applies.

You all almost certainly know this, but it never helps to remind people.

Chris Kebab
28th Nov 2015, 12:40
So it looks like an MBII costs about £3.5k; so assuming a suitably entitled individual wants an MBI I guess that's £1500 which isn't bad all in all. Disagree with old Salad's there - I think it's not bad looking.

And as an ejectee myself Axel I am having great difficultly identifying with any of your post:confused:

Axel-Flo
28th Nov 2015, 16:34
CM, CK
Apologies it was not directed at anybody merely an over zealous reaction, post a bottle or two(no excuse I know) to:

Firstly someone wishing to buy something and wear it when not by right or relation entitled. Missing of course the fact that medal collectors do something similar.
That they would offer financial incentive in/on a public forum like this
and perhaps the consideration as to,wether it was ok to go ahead and sell your entitlement, subsidised in this case by MB Ltd, to a stranger.

Scruffy Fanny
28th Nov 2015, 18:05
what did you eject from Chris Kebab ?

Chris Kebab
28th Nov 2015, 18:21
I'll pass on the story coming out on here mate if that's OK. I do have a rare Internet name check however on one of those ejection web sites, although quite how they got that info I don't know.

Thing is, I am actually in the market for a new watch, but this might just be a tad OTT!

k3k3
28th Nov 2015, 23:44
The age of most of us around here, Fossil might be more appropriate!

Fishtailed
29th Nov 2015, 22:19
I knew that successful ejectees received a watch from MB, but I was under the impression that it was a gift, I'm a bit saddened to find out that they have to buy the thing after what they've been through. What about the second or third ride, did they lower or increase the sub?

Tarnished
30th Nov 2015, 11:39
Personally I would be happy to be paying Martin Baker for the rest of my life. I have never figured out why they buy me lunch every 2 years at Farnborough - I should be buying them lunch. I ejected in '85 and '03, the watch was never part of the deal until very recently.

NutLoose
30th Nov 2015, 11:44
Personally I would be happy to be paying Martin Baker for the rest of my life. I have never figured out why they buy me lunch every 2 years at Farnborough - I should be buying them lunch. I ejected in '85 and '03, the watch was never part of the deal until very recently.

Well I knew about the MB tie presented on ones first ejection, were you after the matching suit as well? ;)

NutLoose
30th Nov 2015, 11:53
Just a quick thought. How about villainous James Bond baddies in Aston Martins? And what about Natalie Imbruglia?

On a more serious note, did the seat test 'pilots' who tried out new designs for the first time qualify too? I guess these days they use a crash-test dummy, but there's plenty of YouTube of brave souls being ejected out of cockpits on rocket sleds, or out of test aircraft (MB's preferred testing method?).

The one that springs to mind is Bernard Lynch, he did about 31 ejections when testing the seats in the early days and was the first.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-Baker_Mk.1

Satellite_Driver
30th Nov 2015, 12:12
My offer would therefore be to ask for your permission to used your ejection details to order the watch (which i obviously pay for), and then i give the extra £2,000 i save to you as a thank you. Essentially i can offer you £2,000 to place an order for a watch.

Speaking as a lawyer, this would clearly be fraud by false representation contrary to Section 1 of the Fraud Act 2006:

Fraud Act 2006 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/section/1)

Furthermore, anyone cooperating with this, especially in return for money, would jointly be liable for fraud. Indeed, simply planning with Mr Noakes to go through with this would constitute conspiracy to commit fraud, irrespective of whether the actual fraud went ahead.

wiggy
30th Nov 2015, 12:27
the watch was never part of the deal until very recently.

Must admit this thread is the first time I've heard of the watch "deal" at all ( not in the market anyway, my plastic Casio job keeps perfectly good time:sad:)

RetiredBA/BY
30th Nov 2015, 12:36
Sorry, Fishtailed , I think you are missing the point. As an ejectee I think it is incredibly generous of M-B to make a significant cash contribution to obtain a top quality and permanent reminder of such a major event in my life and of other ejectees.

Had my seat not worked to perfection my two wonderful little grandsons would not exist !
Thanks for everything, M-B, my life, my family and my watch !

newt
30th Nov 2015, 17:57
Martin Baker are a great British company and I for one am eternally grateful to them! The seat worked perfectly for me and they recently replaced my tie completely free of charge! Where else would you find such great customer care?:ok:

Arfur Dent
30th Nov 2015, 18:35
Scam! Don't touch it and report it to PPrune Admin. I did a while ago and was assured it was sorted.

Above The Clouds
30th Nov 2015, 18:37
Msbbarratt
I am assuming the brave guys who originally tested the seats don't qualify because the seat was not actually used to save their life in an emergency.

I am guessing the reason the guys who tested the seats don't qualify, is because the ejection seat was not actually used to save their life.

Ejection Tie Club
We run an exclusive Ejection Tie Club for all pilots that have used one of our ejection seats. Life membership of the Ejection Tie Club is confined solely to persons who have ejected from an aircraft, in an emergency, using a Martin-Baker ejection seat which has thereby saved their life.

Fishtailed
30th Nov 2015, 23:14
Tarnished, BA/BY, no way am I knocking MB, I totaly agree with newt, I didn't realise the watch was a recent thing, must have been thinking of the tie.

Swil
13th Feb 2016, 06:18
Sorry, Fishtailed , I think you are missing the point. As an ejectee I think it is incredibly generous of M-B to make a significant cash contribution to obtain a top quality and permanent reminder of such a major event in my life and of other ejectees.

Had my seat not worked to perfection my two wonderful little grandsons would not exist !
Thanks for everything, M-B, my life, my family and my watch !

Spot on and exactly the point!!:ok:

I recently found out about the Bremont MB1 and will soon be a proud and grateful owner of a lovely watch and unique memento. Personally, I doubt very much if anyone entitled to an MB1 would buy one for someone else, other than perhaps for a son or daughter.

Nevertheless, if someone needs the cash so badly, than so be it but the new "owner" will never have had the "experience" that is genuinely priceless.