PDA

View Full Version : S-400 Deployed in Syria

27mm
27th Nov 2015, 08:42
Looks to be deployed at Latakia. With a range of around 400km, will make ops from Cyprus interesting.......

pr00ne
27th Nov 2015, 09:13
Why?

Why would the Russians be interested in interfering with ops from Cyprus?

cokecan
27th Nov 2015, 09:23
can i say how grateful i am to Russia for placing its most capable weapons and radars next to NATO's most senstive intelligence gathering systems and doing so in a situation where it can't get on its high horse about being spied on.

:D

orgASMic
27th Nov 2015, 09:35
@27mm - British ex-pats are out-numbered here by Russian ex-pats by about 8:5 these days so unless Assad gets the hump with us and Putin can't keep a lid on him, I am not sure we under too much of a threat.

Thelma Viaduct
27th Nov 2015, 09:50
Falkland islanders should buy a couple of sets.

Wander00
27th Nov 2015, 13:08
And having come across Russians in N Cyprus (visiting not living there), IMHO as a group they are the most appallingly bad mannered people I have ever come across.

smujsmith
27th Nov 2015, 18:44
Northern Cyprus :eek: I was there when the Turks invaded, and they still occupy the land of a fellow EU member state. It's baffling how despite this illegal occupation, Merkel and CaMoron both want Turkey to be fast tracked to join the EU. Sorry for thread drift. I agree with cokecan, there must be some intelligence gathering opportunity with this deployment, the concern has to be any ops mounted from Akronelli, post parliaments rubber stamping of the current quest for more bombing, can be covered from lift off to landing by this system. Perhaps the Turkish action might yet prove to be detrimental to our lads at the sharp end.

Smudge

downsizer
27th Nov 2015, 18:49
Good job this wonder weapon isn't deployed in Kalingrad next to the dudes doing BAP. I'm sure plenty of intel has already been gathered.

cokecan
27th Nov 2015, 19:05
don't the Greeks have the S-400 system?

i assume in the spirit of complete co-operation we've come to expect from them that they've let every intelligence officer in NATO crawl all over it...:ok:

AreOut
28th Nov 2015, 00:52
don't the Greeks have the S-400 system?

only S-300 I think, although difference between S-300 and S-400 really isn't that noticeable like between old S-200 and S-300

AnglianAV8R
28th Nov 2015, 11:50
Greece has the S300 deployed on Crete. They weren't the originally intended customer as the missiles were being purchased by Cyprus. However, the local bully boy (Turkey) declared that deployment of the S300 system on the island would be considered as an act of war. I believe the original purchase was pay rolled by Greece and they took delivery when it was agreed that Cyprus couldn't have them. Just another example of how Turkey ought not to be part of NATO, they have entirely different values and standards to the majority of NATO nations.

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2015, 12:03
Anglian, same back in the 60s. Load of tractors and spares landed at Larnaca and set out in classic 6 star formation. Again a whisper in someone's ear and the crates were abandoned and never unpacked.

Tourist
28th Nov 2015, 14:59
Just another example of how Turkey ought not to be part of NATO, they have entirely different values and standards to the majority of NATO nations.

It's not so simple.

Some of Turkey is very European indeed, and some is from another planet. Unfortunately, the EU had a hand in reducing the strength of the bit that was European when they insisted that the military (which has traditionally maintained the secular nature of the government, by coup if necessary) have it's teeth pulled. We now have an Islamic governing party.

The most startling thing I found on my exchange to the Turkish military was how similar it was to my own. Same happy hour, same bad jokes, same sense of humour.

The Turkish Officer cadre is exceedingly/embarassingly well educated and very capable (in an American military kind of style. They don't explore the edges of the envelope, and they don't really do flexibility, but they do however give enormous amounts of responsibility to comparatively junior people.)

Turkey is two nations, and to characterise it as one shows a lack of understanding.

Tourist
28th Nov 2015, 15:06
And having come across Russians in N Cyprus (visiting not living there), IMHO as a group they are the most appallingly bad mannered people I have ever come across.

Would you think it reasonable to judge British people by scrotes in Magaluf?

AnglianAV8R
28th Nov 2015, 23:14
@Tourist.... I agree with your view. Turkey is certainly two countries and there is a sizeable 'westernised' population. The problem is Erdogan , whom I suspect has an unspoken ambition to revive the Ottoman empire. Just take a look at his new presidential palace to get the measure of this nutter. Attaturk had a good formula and the secular requirement has indeed been eroded, particularly by Erdogan, who seems to be aligned with the less publicised deeds of the Saudi regime in that troubled part of the world.

peter we
29th Nov 2015, 10:39
Merkel and CaMoron both want Turkey to be fast tracked to join the EU.

Fast? They tried to join the EU for 50 years, but any of the existing 28 members can veto entry. Last I heard Turkey had completely given up on EU membership.

Tourist
29th Nov 2015, 11:48
Serious question.

Do you think that we are more similar in attitude/culture to cosmopolitan (Istanbul) Turks or Greeks?

One lot work hard, pay taxes, and have the ability to run a first world toilet system.
That same lot have a booming economy and rely on nobody for handouts.

The other lot have some beautiful islands and can't keep the Parthenon clean...

Stanwell
29th Nov 2015, 16:06
Fast? They tried to join the EU for 50 years, but any of the existing 28 members can veto entry. Last I heard Turkey had completely given up on EU membership.

You might recall a report last month where Turkey had tried a form of blackmail on the EU.
It was along the lines of .. 'Let us into the EU and we'll sort this refugee problem for you'.
Otherwise...

Kitbag
29th Nov 2015, 17:48
From what I have been able to glean from Google (my friend) S-400 system is good and claimed to be able to detect and kill an RCS IRO 0.1m2. B2 and F22 are alleged to have an RCS of 0.001m2 or thereabouts, so not a real show stopper, especially if limited numbers have been deployed.

smujsmith
29th Nov 2015, 18:36
I see that today tsk tsk is offering a €3 billion bribe and fast tracking of Turkey to EU membership. If he was playing with his own money he would have at least suggested "no stoppage of refugees, no entry to EU". Is it really only modern politicians who are so stupidly blind to the prospects of "carrot dangling"?

Smudge :ok: