PDA

View Full Version : No.152 Course, South Cerney

JW411
26th Nov 2015, 19:29
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Angus.jpg

Give or take an hour or so, I received my Queen's Commission from her Scottish representative, Air Commodore, The Duke of Hamilton, exactly 55 years ago. (Apart from anything else, he was one of the first aviators to fly over Everest and made a huge contribution into starting Prestwick airport).

If the photograph downloads well, you will notice that his son, Angus Douglas Hamilton, Marquis of Clydesdale was also on the course. I have fond memories of Angus.

It is sad to realise that the old Duke is dead, Angus became the Duke and now he is dead.

Basil
26th Nov 2015, 19:46
JW411, you were never that young - don't try to kid us! ;)

Sir George Cayley
26th Nov 2015, 19:58
Which one is you?

SGC

Pontius Navigator
26th Nov 2015, 20:01
I sort of recognize Don Dale and remember Gp Capt Musgrave.

MPN11
27th Nov 2015, 08:07
Couple of old ATC mates in the back row there. Clearly a quality course!

JW411
27th Nov 2015, 10:01
Sir George Cayley:

I've sent you a PM.

jolihokistix
27th Nov 2015, 10:04
His grandson Alexander looks to be a good lad.

Fareastdriver
27th Nov 2015, 14:27
Lot's of protesting when the university squadron members arrived because they were told to take their UAS wings off their No 1 tunics. One, IIRC, had a new one made with a red lining, then regarded as a Fighter Command prerogative.

Then they nearly all ended up in the V-force; like me.

ICM
27th Nov 2015, 18:44
Jock, hadn't realised that you and Dave Broughton had gone through ITS together. And by my time in 64, the ex-UAS Chaps were on separate and shorter courses than the rest of us.

Wander00
27th Nov 2015, 19:09
Spoke to DWB at the LAA Rally in September

Tankertrashnav
27th Nov 2015, 22:09
Slightly confused by that photo. Some of the chaps are still wearing their white capbands, others not, but all are referred to as APO/PO, with one exception, Officer Cadet Rudin in the front row. Cant work that out at all.

On my own course photo (168 Course at OCTU, Feltwell 1964) we are all referred to as officer cadets (including WW2 master pilots with rows of medal ribbons) except those who had come in with a degree, who were called student officers. And we are all wearing our white capbands and white gorget patches.

Fareastdriver
28th Nov 2015, 09:33
IIRC the ones without the nappy bands are UAS entrants, who would have their university commissions on entry. Real Officer Cadets wore the white bands until after the passing out parade; I think we had the POs rings sewn on before the ceremony.

Officer Cadet Rudin could well have been an overseas cadet who would not have had the same privileges.

It was in the summer of 1960 that National Service was abolished. There was confusion as to the fate of cadets who were chopped or voluntarily withdrew from training as up to that time one would go to Catterick and serve out the rest of their two years. It was established that there was no requirement to continue so there was a mad rush of resignations.

When I passed out, six weeks later, there was only a dozen or so of us left.

Yellow Sun
28th Nov 2015, 10:04
Officer Cadet Rudin could well have been an overseas cadet who would not have had the same privileges.

John Rudin was certainly not an overseas cadet. Went on to fly Victor tankers, JP QFI, ETPS and Nimrod various.

YS

MPN11
28th Nov 2015, 10:18
TTN ... yes indeed, all 'white-banded' until after the Parade. 172 [Yellow] Sqn on Graduation Parade at Feltwell, 1 Apr 65, with a WW2 ex-MPlt in the background almost hidden by the young sprogs, and especially by a young Rock you may recognise!

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm468/atco5473/PPRuNe%20ATC/172%20Yellow%20Sqn%20Felwell%201%20Apr%2065.jpg (http://s319.photobucket.com/user/atco5473/media/PPRuNe%20ATC/172%20Yellow%20Sqn%20Felwell%201%20Apr%2065.jpg.html)

JW411
28th Nov 2015, 11:09
I had not noticed that John Rudin was listed as an Officer Cadet. It has to be an administrative error. Looking at the original photograph, he is clearly wearing a Plt Off's stripe.

The course was approximately 4 months long. Halfway through we were joined by the annual UAS intake (who were already commissioned). This coincided with the elevation of us peasants from the wooden No.2 Officers Mess up the hill a bit to the proper No.1 Officers Mess where I shared a room with DWB.

Dougie M
28th Nov 2015, 13:00
If I recall the procedure for the Pass Out parade. The studes on the ITS Course never got to wear their No1 HD until the parade itself because the rank of APO took effect from that time. We only wore the gorgets and other paraphinalia on the hairy blue No2 HD. As was said, the UAS blokes were already commissioned and didn't have the white hat band (which was ceremonially burnt in the ante room fireplace after the parade.)

JW411
28th Nov 2015, 17:02
On an amusing note, sitting to John Rudin's right is "Bushy" Dive. He was an Educator and I have this wonderful memory of him trying to teach us aerodynamics. The subject had moved on to supersonic flight and John could not stand it any more and decided to intervene. "Bushy" was none too happy about this interference and offered John the chalk (in the hope that he might be suitably chastened). This was a big mistake because John had just been working on the Bristol 188 stainless steel project which I think managed Mach 2.2 or thereabouts. (One of them is in the RAF Museum at Cosford).

Rosevidney1
28th Nov 2015, 17:07
Not wishing to nit-pick JW411 but the highest speed achieved by the Bristol 188 was Mach 1.88. It would have been capable of greater speeds were it not for the almighty thirst of the engines.