PDA

View Full Version : Single dad at EK

The Blue Max
26th Nov 2015, 10:37
A question for the EK pilot group.

Due to personal circumstances with my ex I'm looking to get my 4 year old son to come and live with me in Dubai.
Being a single pilot with the work schedule that we have, this creates a great deal of issues to tackle before I even get him here.

Without going into too much detail, I was hoping to find a colleague who has a similar experience. If not to provide me with all the answers as much as just to have a chat and a few good pointers in the right direction.

Your help is highly appreciated.

(PM's are fine considering the personal nature of this topic)

Odins Raven
26th Nov 2015, 12:57
Hi Max.

When you get in first thing you need to do is get yourself a fillipperino who will assist by looking after Junior and doing the polishing and hoovering.

Life is good here, just ask the lads at DSO where wives are traded in on a regular basis for the above models which are far more utilitarian. Many guys come here and immediately offload their tired old western bags but you're already a step ahead of the game.

If you can handle the funny accent you are definitely making the right lifestyle choice, Sirmamm. And they cook too - if you like fried everything you will be in bliss. You can't go wrong.

Pretty sure you can't have a live-in maid as a single guy.

Unless of course you hire a live-in guy not girl...

BigGeordie
26th Nov 2015, 13:24
You can't sponsor a maid as a single male but there are ways around this. These methods are well known and generally tolerated by the authorities but aren't exactly legal. It's a Dubai thing, you will get used to it.

Farrell
27th Nov 2015, 04:20
This is the "Dubai thing" my learned friend is referring to.
And indeed, hearty congratulations, you are one step ahead of the game!

https://filipinoscribbles.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/maid.jpg

ruserious
27th Nov 2015, 06:06
Best bit is they will program your kids perfectly for you, you will love being called MamSirrr

Sheikh Your Bootie
27th Nov 2015, 07:01
I am divorced, and have a maid. So not true you can't. I verified the legality of this with the Immigration dept at EGHQ.

Single, never been married, no you can't have a female maid.

Also, I know of one colleague whose wife sadly passed away, leaving him with a young child, also employs a full time female nanny. Not from Mamsirrr land.

SyB :zzz:

alwayzinit
27th Nov 2015, 08:27
Blue Max, I know a number of guys who were in your position, in short it is not an issue, if you follow the correct procedure. EK will help you with this if you ask.
Best of luck.

Jumeirah James
27th Nov 2015, 12:28
"Let loose the dogs of war".... a fine set of puppies :D

GoreTex
27th Nov 2015, 14:14
by the length of her nails she can't be a maid, but who cares I want one

Plazbot
27th Nov 2015, 14:19
You're looking at her nails?

SOPS
27th Nov 2015, 14:27
SirMamSir...I don't care what she calls me....:p

Wizofoz
27th Nov 2015, 19:03
But that's only what you get after investing in some after market modifications....

FlightDetent
27th Nov 2015, 19:55
Those blended thinglets, will they be available from other OEMs too?

puff m'call
3rd Dec 2015, 09:12
Villa number perhaps?

Just so I can check up on her while you're away, being a caring chap that is::E

Inside UAE
3rd Dec 2015, 11:34
I'm reasonably new to the region but I do know of an old EK mate who had a full-time live-in maid help him with his kids. Max, you're probably best off approaching one of those "Nannies Abroad" agencies in the Philippines.

Good luck feller. :ok:

halas
3rd Dec 2015, 14:03
Nails? What nails?

halas

parabellum
3rd Dec 2015, 22:06
Having had both working for me I would go for a Sri Lankan maid rather than a Filipino - assuming it is a real maid you want and not one like the girl in Farrel's post #5! ;) (who looks remarkably Eurasian to me!).

Fred Garvin M.P.
10th Dec 2015, 01:44
Your main issue is going to be getting permission for your son to come. If you've already provided the divorce papers, you will have to have papers provided from your ex wife, court approved, granting your son her approval to live her. Otherwise they will not provide the VISA required to have your son here.

ekwhistleblower
10th Dec 2015, 13:27
Employed 2 Sri Lankan maids and 2 Filipinas, in my experience I would definitely go for a Filipina. Bottom line though is interview, get references and realise you are employing someone to trust with your kids. Alternatively go for the nail girl and get headache money put in the contract!

The Blue Max
10th Dec 2015, 13:29
The responses are equally entertaining as appreciated guys.

I've been living in Dubai for the last four years, so reasonably familiar with the nanny/maid facilities. I'd prefer to go the au-pair route so as to have someone looking after my son speaking his mother tongue.

In reply to your message Fred Garvin, we were never married. Which is either going to make things a lot easier or more complicated. Still waiting on the reply from visa services on that one.

As stated before my, I'd like to get into contact with other singel dad's in the flight deck community

B. Bonga
11th Dec 2015, 05:33
A significanct number of dad's are single the moment the gear goes up departing Dubai.....

Hazra
1st Mar 2019, 16:23
I am divorced, and have a maid. So not true you can't. I verified the legality of this with the Immigration dept at EGHQ.

Single, never been married, no you can't have a female maid.

Also, I know of one colleague whose wife sadly passed away, leaving him with a young child, also employs a full time female nanny. Not from Mamsirrr land.

SyB :zzz:Hi... i would like to find this guy. Do you by any chance know him? It is very important for me to reach for him. I dont know his name just his pictures and als together with his kids.