PDA

View Full Version : PM offers Akronelli to FAF

27mm
23rd Nov 2015, 12:57
PM has offered Akronelli to the FAF as an operating base. Good show. But worried that the FAF aircrew won't find the OM food to their taste, especially the racing chicken.....;)

Wokkafans
23rd Nov 2015, 13:00
Sky reporting:

"The 'offer' is for French jets, flying off the Charles de Gaulle, to land there if they find themselves in trouble or needing to divert."

Drainpipe
23rd Nov 2015, 13:16
Can you imagine what they will think of Kokkinelli? Sacrebleu!

Willard Whyte
23rd Nov 2015, 13:19
Operating out of Akrotiri was always a bit of a faf...

I'll get me coat.

Basil
23rd Nov 2015, 13:39
worried that the FAF aircrew won't find the OM food to their taste
ISTR some French & Belgian chaps on PR laison at Wyton about 1972 who made no secret of their opinion of RAF food.

BEagle
23rd Nov 2015, 19:20
I must be prescient.....

A couple of years ago, I defined an AAR problem for the latest version of the A310MRTT AAR mission system. This consisted of the tanker taking off from Sicily, a rendezvous with Rafales from the CdeG (on station near Malta) somewhere west of Crete - followed by a trail to a cast-off point north-east of Cyprus. The Rafales then went to spread tidings of joy to targets in Syria whilst the tanker refuelled some Typhoons on an AD CAP, before the Rafales came back to another RV point before being trailed back to their carrier, which had moved to a new station - the tanker then landed in Crete....

The software coped fine.

I wonder whether the Voyager's mission system can manage such a complex plan, some years later?

oldbeefer
23rd Nov 2015, 19:24
Spent 3 yrs on exchange with the FAF. Lunch in the OM was mandatory. The only thing that made the food tolerable was the obligatory half a bottle of red before the afternoon push!

Brian W May
23rd Nov 2015, 19:26
Ah but will they run foul of Akronelli's opening times, I mean we belonged there and had to hold after 8.30 flight from Masirah until they opened?

We heard ATC testing the radios, but they wouldn't speak to us until opening time.

Be interesting to receive a battle-damaged Frenchman . . .

Onceapilot
23rd Nov 2015, 20:02
Beagle,

Some of us did this with MDR.:rolleyes:

OAP

BEagle
23rd Nov 2015, 20:05
Onceapilot, in the same inaccurate, slow and grossly inefficient way as most other DeathStar planning, no doubt....:rolleyes:

"Just fill it up and we'll be OK"....:uhoh:

KPax
23rd Nov 2015, 20:09
Opening hours a joke, with at least twice the Air Traffic staff they had in the nineties surely they are open when required.

Skeleton
24th Nov 2015, 00:02
The days of the "joke" opening hours are long gone.

Bigpants
24th Nov 2015, 08:26
A couple of weeks ago a small boat with refugees came ashore at RAF Akrotiri and the refugees were accommodated on the base in tents.

The PM now publicly announces that we will be hosting the FAF at Akrotiri...

How long before a boat load of jihadis arrives on the same beach? I hope they have upped their security because 6 jihadis with vests and AK47s could do a great deal of damage in the accommodation area.

Tourist
24th Nov 2015, 08:35
How long before a boat load of jihadis arrives on the same beach? I hope they have upped their security because 6 jihadis with vests and AK47s could do a great deal of improvement in the accommodation area.

Fixed it for you!:ok:

27mm
24th Nov 2015, 09:31
Just imagine our FAF colleagues going out to Chris Kebab of an evening and being greeted with "Welcome, RAF bunch of poofters!" ;)

M-ONGO
24th Nov 2015, 16:41
Suspicions remain against 55 bases refugees - Cyprus (http://in-cyprus.com/suspicions-remain-against-55-bases-refugees/)

Bigpants, possibly already...

chevvron
24th Nov 2015, 20:55
PM has offered Akronelli to the FAF as an operating base. Good show. But worried that the FAF aircrew won't find the OM food to their taste, especially the racing chicken.....;)
I only stayed there once back in '86 for ATC camp, but there was a Cypriot chef in the OM some days and his food was excellent.

chevvron
24th Nov 2015, 20:57
The days of the "joke" opening hours are long gone.
Certainly are.
When Mrs C and I stayed in Limassol on hols in 1990 during GW1, you could hear what I presume were Tornados departing Akro at roughly hourly intervals H24.

smujsmith
24th Nov 2015, 22:24
Just a question from one of little knowledge on naval aviation operations, but the use of the term FAF in this thread suggests to me that it's the French Air Force who are operating from the carrier. Do the French not have a naval air wing ? Assuming they do, perhaps the FAF is a reference to the French Armed Forces. Excuse my numpty question, I couldn't find a great deal of info on this carriers air wing on Wiki:oh:

Smudge :ok:

sycamore
24th Nov 2015, 22:26
It`s called `Aeronavale` ,Smuj...

smujsmith
25th Nov 2015, 13:23
Thanks for that sycamore, so the reference to FAF must refer to French Armed Forces, not Air Force, who I believe are Armee de'l Air ?

Smudge :ok: