PDA

View Full Version : Falklands - cruise ship in trouble

ricardian
19th Nov 2015, 13:34
Have not seen anything on the news about this (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-forces-go-to-assistance-of-stricken-cruise-liner-in-the-falklands)

Lonewolf_50
19th Nov 2015, 13:44
Have not seen anything on the news about this (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-forces-go-to-assistance-of-stricken-cruise-liner-in-the-falklands)
Well done! :ok:

uffington sb
19th Nov 2015, 13:57
Not heard of this.

Well done to all our boys and girls done there. :ok:

Robert Cooper
19th Nov 2015, 14:01
Excellent!! Well done all.

Bob C :ok:

pzu
19th Nov 2015, 14:52
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-forces-go-to-assistance-of-stricken-cruise-liner-in-the-falklands. :ok::ok::ok:

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Wander00
19th Nov 2015, 15:06
Brilliant, well done all the personnel involved. Great result, of which you should all be justly proud.

Newforest2
19th Nov 2015, 17:10
And more..........

Major SAR operation as cruise ship was in real danger of grounding
After the loss of all power the "Le Boréal" was placed in real danger of grounding on Cape Dolphin, East Falkland because of a northwesterly gale so its captain gave the order to 347 passengers and crew to abandon ship. The British Forces conducted a major Search and Rescue plan, working closely with the Falklands Islands Government. Two Royal Air Force Sea King Search and Rescue helicopters were scrambled, along with two other support helicopters, a C130 Hercules and a Voyager aircraft for command and control. The Royal Navy patrol vessel HMS "Clyde" was dispatched along with the Dutch tugs "Dintelstroom" and "Giessenstroom" which support British Forces in the Falkland Islands. The operation saw 79 people winched from the deck of the cruise ship and from two life rafts in the water. HMS "Clyde" provided assistance to two further lifeboats with over 200 evacuees on board, making sure they were brought to safety. The evacuees were brought to the British Forces Base at Mount Pleasant where they received care, clothing, food and medical Attention. Reports with photos and videos: www.defenceimager...((19112015A)) https://www.gov.uk/govern... Latest News - ITV News (http://www.itv.com/news/)... Video: 10 ships caught in a storm - YBW (http://www.ybw.com/video)...

Hangarshuffle
19th Nov 2015, 17:39
Fantastic effort from all very brave people involved. Not the place to break down, bale out, ditch or abandon. Barely believable actually, that no one seems lost. I would give everybody involved a blooming cash bonus, gong and free shot of rum.
Make this into a TV programme, telly types.

MAINJAFAD
20th Nov 2015, 08:15
Well done MPA, One question I've got to ask however, who is replacing the Sea King when Endex happens for them which must be very soon?

OvertHawk
20th Nov 2015, 11:25
I believe it's a consortium involving British International using AW189, i think, in addition to their continued provision of S-61 for the Mil support contract.

Interesting to note that British International were credited with assisting in this SAR-Op (S-61?) as well as Bristow - presumably the SAR cab they've got down there supporting their Exploration contract?

BZ one and all.
OH

cokecan
20th Nov 2015, 12:08
i was under the impresion it had been announced already that Wokka was going to replace the two civ contract hels, with civ contract hels replacing the RAF SAR aircraft.

John Purdey
20th Nov 2015, 14:44
What on earth is the MOD PR empire doing if it does not pick up on a splendid story like this??

Danny42C
20th Nov 2015, 14:57
Good Show all round !

D.

Heathrow Harry
20th Nov 2015, 15:33
jeez - 300 people arriving in Stanley.... they'll be sleeping on every sofa in town..................

Kitbag
20th Nov 2015, 16:01
What on earth is the MOD PR empire doing if it does not pick up on a splendid story like this??

Cynic in me says some of these assets are going to make way for the headline budgets in SDSR.

Captivep
20th Nov 2015, 16:13
I was in the area a few years ago on the MS Fram, going from Antarctica to South Georgia, then on to the Falklands, before ending the voyage in Buenos Aires.

It was a very heartening sight, in more ways than one, to have a C-130 from MPA do two low passes next to us just north of West Falkland.

I hope they save Le Boreal, though - it's a ship on my bucket list!

glad rag
20th Nov 2015, 16:32
Exactly. Can't have the wasters been seen in a good light by the sheeple.

Gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

MG
21st Nov 2015, 11:17
Exactly. Can't have the wasters been seen in a good light by the sheeple.

In English?

Hangarshuffle
22nd Nov 2015, 17:43
I can't speak for Glads but I think he means that rarely credit is given to a military operation that goes well, or is picked up on and used by the press barons, because it suits those people to give an impression that the military are there to sell stories about, that everything always goes wrong for them and they deserve cringing patronization (new word?). And that the masses who buy the papers or use and read the common media are easily led, easily swayed and moved this way and that. Sheeple being a cross between sheep and people.
Come on MG you knew all that and could articulate it better than I.
No seriously, outstanding all concerned.
I briefed what I could glean about this operation (and it wasn't that much from the rags that pass as British newspapers) to my boss and peers/clients at our daily meeting and we gave credit where it is due. Due to the nature of our work we study these things in some detail, even me, when we can.I wish we had a RAF Herc and the rest of that team, and a Navy vessel on hand in sight, and a dedicated command team ashore watching my back where I am now. I never take our military for granted.
No deaths-no families grieving. Not a miracle or by chance but the results of years of training, sweat ,accumulation of experience and expenditure of effort.
HS knows those waters fairly well, knows the weather and the seas and the skies there.
If I ever meet anyone who was in on this then you will get a beer out of me, whoever you ever are.

RetiredBA/BY
14th Dec 2015, 20:24
An update. Boreal has been towed from Falklands to Punta Arenas and is currently moored next to the ship I am on (Seabourn Quest), returning from Antarctica to Valparaiso, and looks in good shape. However, there is evidence of a very significant fire on the engine room walls, burnt, peeled plates and black soot. Etc. first thoughts of marine engineers here is of a burst fuel pipe spraying fuel onto very hot turbocharger casings.

Lots of engineers currently working on the vessel.

New ship , only 4 years old, very high onboard standards.

Apparently, in the Falkland the locals put up most pax in their homes until cruise line flew them out. Many did not speak English so it was an "interesting " time.

Seems the incident got lots of press coverage in some parts of the world, but not in the UK.

Anyway, it seems the rescue was a text book operation so another "very well done" to all concerned.

TorqueOfTheDevil
15th Dec 2015, 09:20
Seems the incident got lots of press coverage in some parts of the world, but not in the UK.

Deliberate MOD policy to bury any achievements by the SAR Force towards the end. Started years ago when SAR-H was first mooted, relaxed somewhat when SAR-H collapsed, then re-instigated more recently as the closure of SAR flights loomed. One obvious example from this year was MACr Duncan Tripp whose MBE for services to RAF SAR was publicized by Bristow (his new employer) but not by the RAF!

Hangarshuffle
15th Dec 2015, 18:26
We haven't got an intelligent or unbiased press anymore. Great Britain the baby was thrown out with the bath water.
But its still a hell of a rescue effort. Brilliant.

Onceapilot
15th Dec 2015, 18:36
Torquey,
I agree, Political MOD bias. :suspect:

OAP