PDA

View Full Version : Hullavington airfield

trevor hope
18th Nov 2015, 19:29
The MOD is to sell Hullavington,the end of another historic airfield.I went to my first air show there on 1954,flew many hours there with Bannerdown gliding club years later,wonder where the two V.G.S. Units will move to-sad:sad::sad:

WE992
18th Nov 2015, 19:37
Only 621 VGS there now. 625 Disbanded a while back.

SX983
18th Nov 2015, 19:43
I assume you mean just the airfield-the main site is listed.

When will this be sold?

Dougie M
18th Nov 2015, 19:47
I remember the tortuous process of learning basic navigation at Hullavington in the Valetta and Varsity which puddled around standard routes with long suffering Master aircrew staff pilots and siggies, coping with a hesitant stream of wrong information being passed forward by the baby navs. Innocent days.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/9fa015dd-9875-44bd-bf4d-e8a492f1187d_zpsenajnv4w.jpg

trevor hope
18th Nov 2015, 20:58
M.O.D. Has placed ads in local paper with list of pre war owners of the land,they have given them or their descendants two months to contact that's as much as I know!

Basil
18th Nov 2015, 21:02
list of pre war owners of the land
The Basils had that y'know! ;)

SX983
18th Nov 2015, 21:30
The adverts have to be placed to meet the obligations of the Crichel Down rules ( which have just been revised).

This does not necessarily mean that the whole airfield is to be sold. It may be only a portion, for example the site which the karting hangar stands on.

There has certainly been no word locally that the airfield is to be sold.

Bernoulli
19th Nov 2015, 11:25
Dougie M, what a lovely photograph. Reminds me of my time at 6 FTS in the back of a Dominie.

WE992
19th Nov 2015, 19:27
I understand that a company in Malmesbury is trying to buy it to build an additional factory

SX983
19th Nov 2015, 21:16
There would be only one company in Malmesbury that would be in the frame to build a factory that size-as their new factory is already well under way it is unlikely that they would be interested in Hullavington.

In any event, the site would have to be put on the open market so that the taxpayer can see that it has been properly exposed to the market and the best price achieved.

And then there is the small question of planning permission.

Don't hold your breath on this one. Sounds like Kemble all over again.

PersonFromPorlock
19th Nov 2015, 23:26
Dougie M. that picture reminds me of being in Nav school in Texas and shooting a night cel triangle that was big enough to put Texas inside of... and Texas wasn't inside it! Later I got a little better.

Incidentally, is that kit where they got the idea for Teletubbies from? :p

Dougie M
20th Nov 2015, 13:52
The Nav Training variant or "Pig" as it was known could get several baby navs lost at the same time. A classic case was on a night astro sortie when the students ascended into the astrodomes to take a sighting of the same celestial body and all the little heads were pointing in different directions.

The nursery blue flying suits, G helmets, LSJ's and chest mounted parachute harnesses did nothing to abate the muck sweat of being temporarily unsure of your position.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/f14eb095-7fdf-4c7d-9f87-0a2815466e62_zpso3ptxmzz.jpg

skua
21st Nov 2015, 09:19
My Hullavington memory is slightly different: in 1970 I hitched from school in my CCF uniform to the World Aerobatic Championships there. It was mostly Zlins, I recall. It took me so long to hitch I could only spend an hour there. Must have been plane crazy...

Union Jack
21st Nov 2015, 09:50
I understand that a company in Malmesbury is trying to buy it to build an additional factory - WE992

Interesting: not so long ago, the head man at the said company was looking for somewhere convenient to both home and HQ to house and operate a very nice set of private wings.

Jack

EnigmAviation
21st Nov 2015, 10:12
Despite hearing rumours recently of a "sweeping" nature, nothing showing on Wiltshire CC Planning web site.

smujsmith
21st Nov 2015, 19:00
Dougie M #4,

You look as good in your Blue/grey flying suit and yellow LSJ as you did in later years in green growbag sir. More than I can say for myself. Trevor, I too flew with Bannerdown out of Hullavington, though my first exposure was at Colerne in 1972 at Colerne. A quick question for the Navs here. As a youngster my local B of B display was at Gaydon, post V bombers, and the home of No 2 Air Navigation School with Varsities as I recall. Was Hullavington a follow on, a forerunner or just an alternative operating base ?

Smudge :ok:

Tengah Type
21st Nov 2015, 22:18
Smudge

2ANS moved from Thorney Island to Hullavington over the Christmas/New Year period at the end of 1961. The first course to start there was 36 Course at the end of January 1962. At the same time 1ANS moved to Stradishall.
I started on 37 Course the day after my 18th birthday party, with my first legal hangover. The rest of the course were not much better!!:sad:

The move to Gaydon was later, I think about 1970.

Landlocked1
22nd Nov 2015, 15:17
Hearing the news about Hullavington brings back wonderful memories of a bank holiday summer weekend spent camping on the base in 1970.My Dad was a member of the Chichester model aeroplane club (CADMAC) and took our family down there to fly control-line a/c and see the flying radio controlled models of other club members. My Brother and I used to fly our little rubber band planes in the big hangars on the base, good fun coz they flew better and didn't blow around. I remember watching the film ' Flight of the Pheonix ' in the station cinema.
We heard a roar of engines from the far side of the airfield one morning and legged it over to find a Lancaster ( NX611 now at East Kirkby ) doing engine runs. My Bro took a photo of me proudly standing one hand on the bomb doors and we were lucky enough to re-create the snap 40 years later in the hangar at East Kirkby in 2010 thanks to a chat with a lovely chap called Fred who let us get thru the barriers and close to his aircraft. Fred sadly passed away in 2013 but we were so impressed with his love of their Lancaster and his genuine interest in our old photo's which he asked to keep copies of. RIP Fred and I hope she flies soon in you and your Brothers honour.

condor17
23rd Nov 2015, 08:44
Dougie M , Is your photo showing the World's first laptop computers ? .............................Blue boxes with green screens look just the right size to hold a Dalton computer [ whizz wheel ] And does not need a battery !

rgds condor .

middlesbrough
23rd Nov 2015, 09:07
I was on 63 Course, and we were joined by ten Iraqis, who were taught by our Course Commander in Russian. At the end of the Basic course they went on to Stradishall as 63 Course, and we stayed on at Hullavington as 63A Course to do the Advanced Course, only going to Stradishall to do 12 hours on the Meteor NF14.
Remember one of our favourite pubs was The White Hart at Ford, and parties at the various female colleges in Bath.
Happy days 1964!

Pom Pax
23rd Nov 2015, 16:45
Those green lidded boxes intrigue me. When did they appear & are they pencil boxes?
Also the Gee box squeezed against the fuselage side, was it always placed there? But its 58 years ago.
"12 hours on the Meteor NF14", we did 30 hours on the NF 10 Vampire.

BEagle
23rd Nov 2015, 21:34
Those boxes lined with green felt were grey in colour and were indeed pencil boxes, marked 6B/472 on the top. They were issued with standard RAF nav bags (you can see them by the students' left legs) and fitted into a specially designed pocket in the bag.

The nav bag also included a stowage for the RAF nav ruler, but I found it easier to shorten the nav ruler and stow it inside the bag.

All were excellent pieces of kit!

dagama
6th Dec 2015, 19:09
Smudge Tengah Type

I started my Nav trg at Gaydon in Nov 69 so Big H had closed by then. I was privileged to live in the OM there in 1972/73 as it was overflow accommodation for the OM at Lyneham. 18 singlies galavanting around the world and living in a country club!! Happy days.

Nobby and Percy were the barman and they were glad that the Mess had a resurrection as only 4 livers until we arrived - 2 were civil servant.

Our pubs were the Vine Tree in Norton, the Suffolk Arms in Malmesbury and the Wild Duck in Ewen near Kemble.

middlesborough - The White Hart at Ford still going and well known

smujsmith
6th Dec 2015, 19:21
Dagama,

Thanks for that, I joined the RAF in January 69, and I'm sure I have memories of seeing the Varsities at Gaydon prior to that. Our ATC squadron attended there for Air Experience flights, we also went to Shawbury. Gliding from Tern Hill. Gaydon was our local B of B open day, a must for the likes of myself. I know for sure that 2 ANS Varsities always took part in that display. FYI, myself, wife and an old GE mate of mine regularly visit the Vinetree at Norton, great beer, great food and some very welcoming patrons too. No wonder you chaps enjoyed it.

Brian 48nav
6th Dec 2015, 19:43
I was on 88 which started 3/5/66 at Gaydon - my school mate I followed into the mob was on 74, which commenced at Hullavington and moved to Gaydon in mid 1965.

There was a BofB day while I was there and our course had a stall with some sort of model aeroplane doing something similar to the malteser and tape measure trick that has been all the rage on TFI these last few weeks!

Dagama

Ah! The Suffolk Arms, watering hole of Miserable Mike Wood and Howard Mansell when they lived at Monk's Park - the latter did a streak around the pub! I used to frequent The Vine Tree early 70s and The Wild Duck from 72-80 when we lived in Ciren' then Minety. The guv'nor used to lock everyone in at closing time, being ready to serve baskets of chips if the rossers called!

Whopity
6th Dec 2015, 20:03
I lived in quarters at Hullavington in 1971 and belonged to the Mess there untill we were kicked out and sent to Lyneham.

A picture of Gaydon in 2007: 2ANS was dead centre and the Aston Martin factory is just West of the former OM location. The old SCAF building is still there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43823021/Gaydon.JPG

Brian were you on 29 Herc Course?

Sadly, the Suffolk Arms was knocked down and is now a housing estate!

ShyTorque
6th Dec 2015, 20:19
Those boxes lined with green felt were grey in colour and were indeed pencil boxes, marked 6B/472 on the top. They were issued with standard RAF nav bags (you can see them by the students' left legs) and fitted into a specially designed pocket in the bag.

The nav bag also included a stowage for the RAF nav ruler, but I found it easier to shorten the nav ruler and stow it inside the bag.

All were excellent pieces of kit!

I still have my original grey pencil case and the plastic ruler and I also have an as new, unused RAF nav bag in my cupboard. ;)

Whopity
6th Dec 2015, 21:09
I have four 6B/472s on the floor here, the newest one actually says 6B/000-0472; the metal clip however still says AM and has the Kings crown on it, Stores Ref 10A/3371.

Brian 48nav
7th Dec 2015, 19:47
No, I was on 4 Course - my only claim to fame is the first baby nav' to be told he was going to the 'not yet in service' Herc. Just before 88 Course finished one of our syndicate instructors, the only decent one I might add, the great Brian Weatherly ( later a Flt Cdr on 48 at Lyneham ) told me there was a chance that a Herc' posting would be offered to a first tourist, if so its yours he said.
In fact there were 2 slots for my course ( 88 ) and Tony Fawcus got the other - by the time 4 course started Dai Jones ( 89 ) and John Pilkington ( 90 ) had also received Herc' postings, all of which were to 48 at Changi. Des Pope and my old mate Arthur Chapman from 90 were on 5 Course.
This of course opened the floodgates for first tourists, as from 5 Course onwards there must have been at least 50% first tourists.

I guess 29 Course must have been in 1970.

smujsmith
7th Dec 2015, 20:13
Brian, now there's the name of a true gentleman, Arthur Chapman. I had the great honour of being a GE, allocated to his crew during GW1, and he made me feel a real part of the team. I remember finding a "Muslim ? " compass, with 400 degrees on it in the local souk, and bought it for him as a Christmas present. With typical aplomb, he asked why I thought it was special, didn't all compases have 400 degrees ? Great bloke.

ancientaviator62
8th Dec 2015, 07:35
I recall Brian Weatherly joining us at Lyneham when we had relocated 48 from Changi.

Brian 48nav
8th Dec 2015, 12:46
Were you at the 48 bash last year? Brian was in great form ,amazing for 82 years old - I passed him as we went off to bed and there he was chatting up some youngsters from an adjoining party.

This should probably be on the Herc' thread but here goes, IIRC you had Brian and Tony Barrett as your Flt Cdrs - round the corner on 30 we had Colin Quaife and Doug Pettinger, both drivers as we had a nav' boss, and they were replaced by Ugly Bob Gray ( my skipper on the OCU in '67 ) and Jimmy 'The Gun' Gillmore.

ancientaviator62
8th Dec 2015, 13:01
Brian,
yes those were two of the flight commanders. Tony was alas the captain of the Hercules that crashed at Colerne. I had known Tony on Hastings.
I do not attend reunions these days.

Arclite01
8th Dec 2015, 13:16
any more on the future of the airfield ??

Arc

Whopity
9th Dec 2015, 12:56
Brian 48Nav
Funny you should mention Brian Weatherly, he was the Brian I twas thinking of, as we had both been on the same course in 1971.
Flew with Bob Gray's son on 10 Sqn

middlesbrough
9th Dec 2015, 14:15
What happened to the Hullavington Thread?

Pom Pax
9th Dec 2015, 15:54
I feel hard done by nobody ever gave me an official pencil box! But then we were the last of the National Service aircrew.
Nav. rulers we called them straight edges, never used to measure anything. What was the scale on them?. Measurements done by dividers and the corresponding longitude scale.
Ugly Bob Gray
??? That name rings a bell, he wouldn't be about my age would he?

SX983
9th Dec 2015, 16:55
Looks like this thread has been hijacked by the Tangent Brothers.

No further news to my knowledge on what is happening.

I still think that it will be related to one of the off lying sites however.

Union Jack
9th Dec 2015, 17:30
Measurements done by dividers and the corresponding longitude scale. - Pom Pax

I hope that you were allowed plenty of latitude.....:)

Jack

smujsmith
9th Dec 2015, 19:35
SX983,

I apologise for my part in the thread drift, never having been a Navigator, I would never have been clever enough to calculate any correction required. I'm sure that my interest in the history of No 2 ANS is genuine, and my memories of Hullavington, having spent time gliding there, are good ones. Perhaps some more input from those who attended, worked or otherwise lurked there during its time as an operational unit would keep us "on track" :eek: Otherwise, living fairly nearby, I've heard nothing on redevelopment of the site.

Whopity
9th Dec 2015, 20:51
never used to measure anythingOnly worked on a Lamberts conformal.

What happened to the Hullavington Thread? Until they get a response from the original landowners or their successors I doubt there is much else to add, meanwhile, a few old boys can reminisce about Hullavington. If its not worth talking about its loss would be of little consequence.

Lima Juliet
10th Dec 2015, 05:40
The rumour is that the airfield is being sold to Sir James Dyson's company. Announced here: http://www.hullavingtonparishcouncil.org.uk/Hullavington-Parish-Council/UserFiles/Files/2015%20APM%20Minutes.doc

3,000 jobs for the local area and £1.4M of Govt support. It will be a repait facility for this global success story. Good news for the locals but sad news for another airfield.

LJ

Dougie M
10th Dec 2015, 07:41
After the squaddification of Hullavington I was disappointed to find that it was mainly used to house a mobile catering unit so that won't be missed. The magnificent officers mess would grace any business headquarters. I don't think that the entire airfield will be covered in the Dyson Dalek factory so I am glad we can welcome the company back from Malaysia to help the economy in the U.K.
I was in a flight of C130s waiting for a launch from Hullavington on a para sortie and was relating the story of a Varsity hitting the unfortunately placed hill on final approach from my Nav school days when the order came to stand to. Sadly our captain, one T*m P*****y had already launched in a glider whilst we were waiting and was only recalled on his mobile phone. Snapdragon 2 joined the flight after a "gang start" and 3 minute taxy time.
By the way, the Nav straight edge not only measured the 100 mile markers on trans atlantic legs on the Lamberts 400 series charts, but also could measure 14 nautical miles on the O.S. 50 thou maps for the TAP to DZ runs

SX983
10th Dec 2015, 17:04
Unless I am completely missing something, the report at the of the Hullavington Parish council minutes refers not only to the investment in the infrastructure of Buckley Barracks to secure it as a military facility for the foreseeable future, but also that there will be an additional unit based there 'in the next couple of years'.

The airfield itself has also been re-licensed for Heavy Drops so no plans to run that down then.

For clarification, the paragraph referring to Dysons expansion is contained within an overview of the activity of North Wilts Council as a whole, and relates to the ongoing (and extensive) expansion happening in Malmesbury right now.

Similar rumours were rife when Lyneham closed

Arclite01
10th Dec 2015, 17:58
That's good SX - I thought I was being a bit dim.

Re-read it twice and still couldn't see it :-)

Lets hope this does mean a long term future for the site and the Airfield. I believe the camp itself is listed.

It's a fabulous site. The Officers Mess alone (which I think is a combined Officers/Sgts Mess - same building, different sides) is a great place.

Arc

DeanoP
10th Dec 2015, 18:05
Dougie M, Ref Post No4

Nice picture.

Just caught up with this thread. Your picture of the flying classroom brings back so many memories. The interior looks very clean and big, I have always remembered the space as being very dingy and cramped. I was at 1ANS Topcliffe in 1960 and maybe we had the grotty ones.

chevvron
11th Dec 2015, 07:44
Fond memory of Hullavington. We were at ATC camp at Rudloe Manor which had no rifle range so we went to Hullavington for shooting. The ATC camp there had no Authorised Range Supervisors so we invited them along to give them some practice. I was allocated a rather attractive 16 or 17 year old female cadet to teach how to shoot a .303. After about 10 rounds, she asked for a rest as 'I'm not wearing much under my coveralls and it's a bit painful' whereupon she pulled open the velcro top of her coveralls to prove she wasn't wearing much..........whew!
You had to have great willpower to be a VR(T) Officer!!

Tengah Type
13th Dec 2015, 22:07
DeanoP

The Valetta picture was taken on the ground at Hullavington in early Feb 1962 while we were waiting to start the course at the end of the month. We were loaned the flying suits etc. for the photo shoot ( hence no rank braid or gloves ). The navbag belongs to the screen nav - no navbags were available for the studes until some could be retrieved from aircrew on ground tours. We had locally made blue canvas " shopping bags " until half way through the course, when we were issued with very old and tatty used ones. The 17 yo young chap in the foreground hasn't a clue what he is supposed to be doing, but is posed for the photo.

Then there is the embarrasing photo " shooting astro " with a Mk 9 sextant with both eyes open !!:O

pr00ne
18th Jan 2016, 16:15
Looks like the op was right. Just announced as one of twelve MoD sites to be disposed of for development.

..."Hullavington airfield site..."

I guess that also means we now know at least one of the VGS's that will close after the "pause"

ShyTorque
18th Jan 2016, 19:59
Worth pointing out that Dyson have their own aviation department? ;)

WE992
18th Jan 2016, 20:10
Not closing - just relocating!

SX983
19th Jan 2016, 06:34
Looks like I was wrong then.

On the plus side, if the airfield site is covered in new housing, hopefully the North Wilts housing allocation will be soaked up and there will be no need for them to get involved in a complex plan with Cotswold District Council at Kemble airfield- that all seems to have gone quiet though.

Arclite01
19th Jan 2016, 11:21
Sucks

Arc

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2016, 12:24
Only worked on a Lamberts conformal.

Of course, the Mercator was the standard plotting chart through to the V-Force and we would use the dividers and measure the distance at mid-lat, another 'activity or process' plus and potential 'minor' or 'major' error.

Remember doing single and two Pl MPPs rather than a 3 Pl fix to get the process count up

Brian W May
19th Jan 2016, 12:44
Dougie's photo:

Still have two of those grey pencil boxes, a Douglas and a Buccaneer Protractor and other assorted kit - including my issue Goggles for flying Varsity.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

dynamics
24th Jan 2016, 05:42
I too hold fond memories of Hullavington; having flown solo there for the first time it's a place I'll certainly never forget.:ok:

Lima Juliet
7th Feb 2016, 08:21
Local MP says that it won't be houses but for an undisclosed environmentally friendly industry - James Gray MP plays down fears over houses in Hullavington (From This Is Wiltshire) (http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/headlines/14221576.James_Gray_MP_plays_down_fears_over_houses_in_Hulla vington/?ref=mr&lp=22)

Expectations are that it is Dyson expanding. It is a British success story and the Government wants to export more, so it makes sense.

LJ

pr00ne
7th Feb 2016, 10:02
Leon Jabachabicz,

....."export more."

You do know that all Dyson factories are in Malaysia don't you? We IMPORT Dyson products.

Wycombe
7th Feb 2016, 10:22
Expectations are that it is Dyson expanding

I wonder if Sir James will move the Harrier from outside their Malmesbury HQ?
The Harrier in My Car Park: The Price of Losing Your Resolve | WIRED (http://www.wired.com/2012/04/opinion-dyson-harrier-resolve/)

Lima Juliet
7th Feb 2016, 12:48
Proone

As is the way for global manufacturing markets - Triumph motorbikes are similar with the bulk being built in the far east. But the PROFIT for the UK company comes here.

I don't believe that one third of a billion pounds is to be sniffed at!
Rugs to riches: Dyson announces record profits of £367m | Technology | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/03/james-dyson-record-profits-bladeless-fans)

LJ:ok:

pr00ne
7th Feb 2016, 13:31
Leon Jabachjabicz,

I realise this, the global manufacturing sector being one I operate in, but the bulk of Triumph machines ARE made in Hinckley wheras ALL of Dyson machines are made in Malaysia.
When Dyson **** his Malmesbury manufacturing plant and shipped production abroad he cited both labour cost and the fact that the majority of their component suppliers were based locally.

Thankfully this is a trend that is now in rapid reverse, on shoring and reshoring, i.e bringing manufacturing back from over seas to UK plants, is now a significant factor for companies both large and small.

Lima Juliet
7th Feb 2016, 20:07
Proone

Not so, old fruit...

Triumph may be a stolidly British brand, but it’s a global company. While Hinkley remains the base of operations, Triumph has constructed three manufacturing facilities in the Chonburi Province of Thailand. The first factory produces chassis components like frames and swingarms, as well as fuel tanks. The second fabricates plastic parts and bodywork via injection molds. It also houses an assembly line, with Triumph moving maturing model lines overseas for final assembly (currently its Thai factory assembles the 865 Twins, as well as the 675 and 1050 Triples). The third Thai facility casts most of the engine parts, including cases, cylinder heads, crankshafts and camshafts. All told more than 50% of a completed motorcycle is fabricated completely in house.

The Hinckley factory's work is mostly design and assembly of motorcycle parts made in Thailand. Also, the new super factory in India is expected to manufacture 10 TIMES the production of Hinckley/Thailand put together. :eek:

I think there is an old boy that puts the gold-leaf stripe on Bonneville tanks by hand at the Hinckley factory.

Anyway, I agree 'reshoring' is good and who knows, this might be what is planned for Hullavington? Maybe the Govt are saving this good news for a 'rainy day'? :ok:

LJ

PS. My Hinckley designed Bonnie that was built in Thailand was still of far better quality than my Meriden produced oli-leaking Bonnie from 1972!!!

140WP
3rd Mar 2016, 11:39
It seems we have lost the thread again. I recently came across this statement on an Expansion Airfields site:
​"What is interesting about Hullavington is that the land was donated by the Duke of Beaufort (IIRC) whose only stipulation was that the architecture should be in keeping with the locality. The upshot of this being that all buildings viewable from outside the camp (including part of the OMQs) were built/clad in local stone, whereas buildings further inside the camp (invisible to the public) were red brick. I believe this was the only Station done like this."
The Duke of Beaufort is not listed as one of the former owners according to the Crichel Down notice and the Badminton Estate is not able to find any records that it ever owned the land.
Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Lima Juliet
12th Mar 2016, 10:23
So, here is my theory on the Dyson rumour...

Seeing as Dyson has bought out the high-tech battery company Satki3 with a £10M investment last year: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11941317/Dyson-buys-up-rest-of-solid-state-battery-company.html

And that he has announced an interest in electric cars: Dyson might be building electric car, joining Apple and Google in looking to make vehicles of the future | News | Lifestyle | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/dyson-might-be-building-electric-car-joining-apple-and-google-in-looking-to-make-vehicles-of-the-10485941.html)

As I quoted before, James Gray MP stated:
“There’s a business interested in the site and it would be an environmentally sensitive one that local people would welcome.”

Mr Gray has refused to give any further details on which business he believes is interested. Local speculation is that washing machine and vacuum manufacturer Dyson, which moved to Malmesbury from Chippenham some years ago but has now outgrown its factory there, would be keen to stay in the area and expand.
James Gray MP plays down fears over houses in Hullavington (From This Is Wiltshire) (http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/headlines/14221576.James_Gray_MP_plays_down_fears_over_houses_in_Hulla vington/)

Now seeing as the Chancellor has been crowing about autonomous electric vehicles recently in the press: George Osborne to open UK roads to driverless cars by 2020 | News | Lifestyle | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/google-driverless-cars-george-osborne-budget-uk-roads-2020-a6926736.html)

And also his budget last year boosted this: Budget 2015: Research into driverless cars boosted - FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9a232190-cd78-11e4-9144-00144feab7de.html#axzz42gcPrlPM)

Then here is my theory. Dyson will be the lead in building autonomous electric cars in the UK, using his new battery technology, and building them at Hullavington. If I'm right I'll claim my £5 and if I'm wrong I'll keep wearing my tin foil hat...

...if correct then its not great news for the 'Northern Powerhouse', though. Maybe they should rename it the 'Western Powerhouse' with the recent investment at St Athan for the Aston Martin DB-X factory!! Maybe, HS2 should be routed westwards instead! :}

LJ :ok:

Lima Juliet
12th Mar 2016, 10:26
PS. I wonder if Sir James would build the Air Cadets some new gliders as well? :ok:

SAROSKEETERMAN
6th Nov 2016, 17:05
Advert in the "Wiltshire Times" for Friday 4th by "Bilfinger/GVA/DIO for a parcel of land to the NW adjacent to the MQ's for sale(Freehold) including the two 'E' type hangars to the NE and the two to the NW.(89acres in total) Had a look on their website but can't find anything about it. The parcel of land for sale includes part of the airfield but is not encroaching on the ruway. I have tried to mark the boundary on GE with a link to it but I'm afraid I failed miserably, sorry!

140WP
16th Nov 2016, 19:29
The details are here.

Land for sale in Land and buildings former Hullavington Airfield, Chippenham, SN14 , SN14 (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-63158642.html)

140WP
28th Feb 2017, 18:59
BBC iPlayer - Points West - Evening News: 28/02/2017 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08gbypw/points-west-evening-news-28022017)

We're outgrowing Malmesbury headquarters, says Sir James

1 hr ago / Bruno Clements, Social media and web editor Wilts Gazette and Herald
5 comments
BILLIONAIRE inventor Sir James Dyson has announced plans for a new multi-million-pound research and development centre in Wiltshire as he seeks to expand his company's footprint tenfold in the UK.
Vacuum and electronics giant Dyson is to begin work on a second technology campus on a 517-acre former Ministry of Defence (MoD) site at Hullavington, near its Malmesbury headquarters.
It comes as the group is looking to double its workforce to around 7,000 in the next five or six years and will create a global hub for research and development
Sir James said: "After 25 years of UK growth, and continuing expansion globally, we are fast outgrowing our Malmesbury campus.
"The 517-acre Hullavington Campus is an investment for our future, creating a global hub for our research and development endeavours.
"It will enable us to continue creating world-class products and jobs right here in the Cotswolds."
Sir James, who spoke out in favour of Brexit, recently announced plans to launch the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology in September - a new university based at Malmesbury - and two weeks ago opened a new technology centre in Singapore.
Prime Minister Theresa May hailed Dyson's new campus plans as a "vote of confidence in our modern industrial strategy and our determination to cement the UK's position as a world leader in hi-tech engineering".

She added: "Dyson's exporting strength and commitment to creating jobs in Britain is a real success story that demonstrates the opportunity that our plan to create a truly global Britain can present."

Dyson already has two sites in the UK - its Malmesbury HQ and a Bristol software hub.

It is also investing £250 million on expanding its 56-acre HQ.

Dyson has not disclosed how much will be invested in the Hullavington site, but the group has pledged to pump £2.5bn into future technologies and currently spends £7m a week on research and development.

It is set to begin site preparations for the first phase of the Hullavington development next week, with restoration of the Second World War hangars beginning in May.

The site was originally an RAF flying training station, opened in 1937, but has been largely inactive since the mid-1990s and was one of 12 put up for sale by the MoD in January 2016.

Lima Juliet
28th Feb 2017, 19:09
Told you so (14 months ago) :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/28/dyson-shrugs-off-brexit-fears-with-massive-uk-expansion-plan

pr00ne
28th Feb 2017, 19:49
But Dyson doesn't build anything in the UK, all manufacturing is done in Malaysia, why would electric cars be any diffetent?

Lima Juliet
28th Feb 2017, 20:11
Either way doubling the workforce by 3,500 is not to be sneezed at...

pr00ne
28th Feb 2017, 20:27
That is very true.

140WP
1st Mar 2017, 07:20
There has been so much speculation about the future of Hullavington Airfield for the last year and now people living in the area know what is happening. Whatever Dyson does, he does it well, I am confident that the airfield is in safe hands and will be developed with respect for its Conservation Area status.

Heathrow Harry
1st Mar 2017, 08:34
Manufacturing isn't the way forward - R&D is...... Dyson also have R&D in Singapore but building things just moves to the lowest earning places

Arclite01
1st Mar 2017, 09:19
I actually smell a rat here...............

Dyson 'needs' a new site, and suddenly 'out of the blue' Hullavington airfield is disposed of. Despite the ongoing use/requirement for the airfield site by the RLC for driver training, the Drops still done on the site, a based VGS on the site and also MQ's on the site.

I have a feeling that there have been 'discussions' behind closed doors here......and some brown envelopes

or am I just a conspiracy theorist gone mad ??

Hullavington Airifield - probably one of the (or the) best site for a multi-line winch launch VGS anywhere in the country both in terms of size, layout, availability and geography............gone for ever............

Has the new location for 621 VGS been confirmed yet ?

Arc

SX983
1st Mar 2017, 10:02
The VGS went in August last year, drops have not been carried out for a very long time and the MQ sites do not impinge on the airfield.

However although 90 acres were advertised on the open market late last year, the 536 acres that Dyson has bought do not appear to have been openly marketed.Given the potentially huge financial benefit to the local economy plus the 3000 jobs created, maybe it is the right decision just to to do a deal with Dyson.Far better than hundreds of tacky houses I think.

621 are storing some kit at Little Rissington, local rumour is that South Cerney is the new base but how that would work with Fairford departures remains to be seen.

cessnapete
1st Mar 2017, 10:11
PrOOne
I carried Mr Dyson some years ago on a private jet charter. During conversation, the Malaysia manufacturing topic came up. He said the company had tried to set up a plant in the Malmsbury area. He could not get planning permission from the local Council!
Poor decision as it turned out, for local employment.

Arclite01
1st Mar 2017, 10:36
I too would rather see proper industry on the site than thousands of ticky-tack modern slum houses................

Although I would rather have seen it as an airfield !!

Arc

140WP
1st Mar 2017, 15:17
For information, the airfield had to be offered to sale under the Crichel Down rules which means that it had to be offered to the original landowners or their descendants Two parcels of the land were sold in this way and it would appear that Dyson has negotiated with the former owners descendants to acquire that land. The final area was acquired by Dyson when it was offered for sale on the open market.

Heathrow Harry
1st Mar 2017, 15:22
Unfortunately right now the country needs about half a million "ticky-tacky modern slum houses" - ask anyone under 40................

SX983
1st Mar 2017, 16:28
Equally unfortunately the average "ticky tacky modern slum house" is generally way beyond the means of the majority of sub 40 year olds.

3000 jobs and in all probability sympathetic renovation of the existing hangars is the way forward.

Wonder if the main runway will be preserved for Dysons air ops?

Chugalug2
2nd Mar 2017, 12:37
140WP
all buildings viewable from outside the camp (including part of the OMQs) were built/clad in local stone

Such was our first home in Valetta Gardens. Inside it was somewhat less stately, with a coal fired back boiler in the living room that also heated the one and only radiator in the main bedroom, and a coke fired stove in the kitchen that supplied hot water. These were serviced from a split coal/coke bunker, appropriate coal and coke scuttles, and appropriate separate forward ordering of both fuels.

Some 30 years later we were parked outside for a nostalgic look at our first home, being in good time to attend a local wedding. The front door opened and a Gurkha officer, satisfied of our bona fides by our stumbling explanations, invited us inside. A complete makeover and very house proud occupants had produced much improvement since our time. Principally of course was full central heating, though whether gas or oil fired I cannot recall.

I remember thinking back in our time that the property would have been a sound investment, close as it is to the M4. With the development cited here that must now be even more the case.

140WP
2nd Mar 2017, 14:47
All the land on which the Service Families Accommodation (as it is now called), Anson Place, Blenheim Gardens, Valetta Gardens and Wellington Place, is still in the ownership of MOD. The properties were sold to Annington Homes in 1996 and they have a 200 year lease on that land. It will be SFA for many years to come.

andrewn
2nd Mar 2017, 19:24
Unfortunately right now the country needs about half a million "ticky-tacky modern slum houses" - ask anyone under 40................

Wrong HH. What the country needs is significantly less than the 300k per annum net migration number!

Heathrow Harry
3rd Mar 2017, 09:13
Without descending to JetBlast I'd say a lot of people disagree with you - the NFU, the catering trade, the building trade, the NHS, the IT industry, the care business, the Universities...............................

None of these can get British workers

Underbolt
10th Mar 2017, 15:21
I'm clearly younger than most, as my only memories of Hullavington are of flying in AEF Chipmunks circa 1990. It was a slightly surreal experience, as from entering to leaving the site you never saw another soul other than the pilots, groundcrew and your fellow cadets.

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2017, 18:47
Chug, gas fired. However Son in Law ripped out upstairs toilet and bathroom floors, binned the unmentionable mess and fitted B&Q best, same in cloak room. No one said a word about the improvements.

140WP
10th Mar 2017, 19:48
The rumours that have been circulating around the village for the last year regarding the future of the airfield have now been laid to rest. The truth is out!
“Dyson has announced plans to begin work on a second technology campus, just a few miles away from its global headquarters in Malmesbury. The site is on former Ministry of Defence land at Hullavington.”
Always keen to liaise with the community - and just one day after the plans were made public - three representatives from Dyson, the agent, architect and estates manager, attended the March meeting of the Parish Council to give an indication of their plans for the future of the airfield.
The good news is that it will be developed with regard to its aviation heritage and that the hangars on the site will be retained, renovated and refurbished to be used for employment purposes. There will be several planning applications submitted to Wiltshire Council in the near future for this work, which is expected to take several years before it is fully completed.
At the moment, the airfield can still be used by villagers for walking, cycling etc. but this will have to be curtailed at some time in the future for security reasons.

Nugget90
11th Mar 2017, 13:25
RAF Hullavington in the 1940s - in the midst of WWII

My late father, after completing his QFI training, was posted to No 9 Service Flying Training School, RAF Hullavington, on the 5th of June 1939. He and my mother moved into No 3 O.M. Quarters in early February 1940, having lodged in rented accommodation prior to this in 'Little Gables', Kingston Langley. From letters to his parents and sister, thankfully kept so that I could trace the family history, I read,"We have a maid, an AGA cooker (which I like playing with!) and an enormous boiler for the hot water. Remus loves rushing up and down stairs. It took him two days to realise that this was home!". (Remus was their cocker spaniel.)

In another letter, dated 5th of March 1940, my father wrote, "I taxied onto another machine (a Hart) night flying the other night. Broke my prop and his tail. Managed to hush it up!" It would appear that accidents were not uncommon. On the 16th of March he wrote, "Things go on here as usual. We are just at the end of our night flying programme. One of the pupes, by himself, landed outside the aerodrome, hit a four inch thick tree (he did say he brushed something), came through three hedges, hopped over the road and landed on his back on the aerodrome. As usual he had not a scratch or a bruise. Another pupe took two soldiers up (without permission) in an Anson (twin engined 5 seater) and crashed. Smashed the aeroplane to bits and the three of them had two cuts and a few bruises between them! S'mazing, aint it?"

There is quite a lot of information in other letters he sent home about accidents, injuries and some fatalities, but there is one episode that - for me - stands out.

On the 12th of September my father flew - for the first time in this type of aircraft - a Hurricane II for 30 minutes for 'Station Defence'. (His first tour after gaining his pilot's wings in 1936 had been in Egypt where he had flown Hawker Demons in 64 (F) Fighter Squadron, so he had acquired a grounding in fighter tactics.) On Sunday the 15th of September 1940, at the height of what became known as the Battle of Britain, he wrote this letter following his second 30-minute flight in a Hurricane:

Dear Mother and Dad. I nearly got a Junkers 88 long range bomber yesterday!!!! We have a Hurricane we keep ready for Station defence and 3 of us are allowed to fly it. Very occasionally as we waste petrol!! Any way the Junkers came over the camp at about 5000' and as I was doing nothing at the time I grabbed by bike and pedalled off to the Hurricane with my brolly over my shoulder. Leaped in and started up and off. I chased away the way he had gone with my electric sights on and my guns ready. Of course I didn't catch him. He had had too good a start. I flew around at 12000 for a bit in case there was another one and then saw another Hurricane going past towards Swindon. I followed him in case he knew of something but there wasn't anything there. So I came back. Maybe I get one some day. The Hurricane is grand. Cruising at 200 and climbing at 160. I dived, quite gently, and got 360. No effort at all." (My father's 'brolly' was, of course, his parachute, and I have found a contemporary account of the Hurricane's performance that says, 'In September 1940 the more powerful Hurricane Mk IIa entered service. Its maximum speed was 342 mph.")

I missed all this excitement, not being born until July 1941 in near-by Malmesbury, six months before my father went off to RAF Marham and No 115 Squadron to be a flight commander on Wellington IIcs.

Just an observation that some readers may find interesting. Although my father had flown these and other authorised defence missions in the Station Hurricanes (and in Defiants with an air gunner on board), he did not qualify as a Battle of Britain pilot and thus entitlement to the BoB Clasp to the 1939 - 45 Star (war medal) as these flights were not under the control of Fighter Command. I understand that there were some 14 or so like him, one or two of whom actually 'downed' enemy aircraft.

I just think that my father's account of dashing off on a bicycle to leap into a fighter aircraft in which he had only 30 minutes experience, to engage with the enemy, has elements of bravado and confidence that for me epitomises the spirit of the age.

Arclite01
13th Mar 2017, 14:25
Nugget

Great post - highly enjoyable.

For those who know Hullavington - a visit to the village churchyard to the war graves plot is a sobering experience. Casualties in training probably as severe as on Ops.

A quiet walk around the airfield on a summers evening belies its active past.

Strangely when staying in the mess I often felt a 'presence' in several of the rooms I slept in. Not threatening but just 'there'.

Arc

chevvron
13th Mar 2017, 14:51
I'm clearly younger than most, as my only memories of Hullavington are of flying in AEF Chipmunks circa 1990. It was a slightly surreal experience, as from entering to leaving the site you never saw another soul other than the pilots, groundcrew and your fellow cadets.
Was there for a couple of days in '86; we were at camp at Rudloe but went to Hullavington to use the range.
SNCO i/c armoury proudly told us that despite many attempts, the SAS had never got into 'his' armoury.
Cadets at camp there had no range authorised personnel so we offered to supervise them. I was allocated an attractive female cadet of about 16 yrs old wearing coveralls for her 'first time' on a '303. After 5 rounds, she asked for a rest as it was a bit painful and she 'wasn't wearing any protection under her coveralls', thoughtfully pulling the seam apart for me to see!!
RAF Regt were in residence with APCs.

Arclite01
13th Mar 2017, 15:27
Nice range there. I used the SLR in 80/81.

I think the camp was 2 Sqn RAF Regiment at that time. Also parachuting on airfield from the Balloon (Yikes)

Arc

140WP
14th Mar 2017, 17:19
Arclite,
I think the war graves plot you refer to is in Stanton St. Quintin. Hullavington churchyard was closed in 1920/30's. We only have two First World War graves in Hullavington churchyard and all burials/cremations since the early 1920's have been in Hullavington cemetery, we have no war graves there.

140WP
14th Mar 2017, 17:43
Wiltshire Council web page Planning application 17/02344/FUL shows the plans for the first part of the development by Dyson. Hangars 85 and 86 will be renovated, refurbished and used for employment purposes - Research and Development. The masterplan, covering the whole of the airfield will be submitted in due course.
The airfield has looked so forlorn and neglected for the last few years, it will be good to see it lovingly restored.

140WP
14th Mar 2017, 20:44
Another news item that may be of interest - from the Wilts Gazette and Herald
"A stained glass window is being commissioned in St Giles Church, Stanton St Quintin, to commemorate the service of Women’s Auxiliary Air Force personnel who worked as flight mechanics, radio operators, drivers, clerks and cooks when RAF Hullavington was the Empire Central Flying School (ECFS).
Between 1942 and 1946 the ECFS was tasked with the responsibility of training pilots from Britain and the Allied nations.
The design features the former flight control tower and large hangar at Hullavington airfield with a series of Second World War aircraft such as Avro Ansons, Hurricane Harts, Airspeed Oxfords and Hawker Hurricanes, flying within radio frequency lines which symbolise a RAF roundel.
It shows members of the WAAF working on an Airspeed Oxford and contains many other WAAF symbols. In pastel shades, its design brings light into the church, whilst allowing the aerial scene to have a changing colour palette throughout the day.
A public appeal has been launched to raise money for this project and support would be greatly appreciated.
More details can be found at https://mydonate.bt.com/events/waafmemorialwindow.
Dr Fiona Baskett
Stanton St Quintin*

Arclite01
15th Mar 2017, 09:20
Thanks 140WP.

I think you are right. It's Stanton - my apologies. I can think of worse places to spend eternity.:)

Arc

pr00ne
15th Mar 2017, 22:31
140WP,

"....the airfield lovingly restored...." ??

It's going to be completely built over with a few of the C Type hangars "sympathetically" redeveloped for commercial use.

140WP
16th Mar 2017, 09:48
pr00ne

Time will tell - the master plan is being developed with Wiltshire Council at the moment.

Arclite01
16th Mar 2017, 09:51
I think that the C types will remain within the Barracks area.

I think that the hangars referred to on the planning are the Lamella Hangars on the airfield itself.

Arc

140WP
16th Mar 2017, 10:11
Arclite01
The Barracks area which includes the C type hangars, (behind the wire) is also to be sold, by 2029. The hangars in the current application are the old parachute packing hangars at D site next to Stock Wood

Article in the Gazette & Herald 9th March 2017:https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=aceda25ef7&view=att&th=15ace7f82e1188a1&attid=0.1.1&disp=safe&zw

See Chugalug2 on next page for another link, apparently this one doesn't work!

Chugalug2
16th Mar 2017, 13:18
Couldn't get your link to work, 140WP. I found this one from the G&H dated two days ago, ie the 14th March. Is it the same one?

Dyson submits plans for hangar conversions at Hullavington airfield (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald) (http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/15154747.Dyson_submits_plans_for_hangar_conversions_at_Hulla vington_airfield/?ref=mr&lp=15)

140WP
16th Mar 2017, 13:28
Some nostalgic pictures of the way things were:

RAF Hullavington (http://www.joanna3.magix.net/public/RAF%20Hullavington.html)

140WP
16th Mar 2017, 19:11
Chugalug2 - yes it is, sorry about that. The gallery pictures are a bit misleading because they show the grass covered hangars which were sold several years ago, and are now leased to M4 Karting, which are on the right as you turn off the A429 onto the road that leads to Wellington Place and Hullavington village

Quietplease
27th Mar 2017, 12:25
From 1955 to 57 Hullavington was home to the world's first ab initio jet training courses on the JP1 and 2. Worth a small blue plaque at a hitec innovation centre?

bspatz
27th Mar 2017, 17:15
140 WP I don't think that the gallery is that misleading as there were some 15 hangars at Hullavington of which at least 8 were grass covered. Only two were outside the airfield boundary and it was these that were leased to M4 Karting.

140WP
28th Mar 2017, 16:09
Yes, you are correct. The Karting hangars are on A site, which is outside the airfield boundary but still included in the Conservation Area. The other six grass covered hangars are on B, C and E sites, although one of the ones at E site has had the grass covering removed.

Corporal Clott
27th Sep 2017, 05:54
Posted by another in March 2016 and now reality:

So, here is my theory on the Dyson rumour...

Seeing as Dyson has bought out the high-tech battery company Satki3 with a £10M investment last year: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...y-company.html

And that he has announced an interest in electric cars: Dyson might be building electric car, joining Apple and Google in looking to make vehicles of the future | News | Lifestyle | The Independent

As I quoted before, James Gray MP stated:
Quote:
“There’s a business interested in the site and it would be an environmentally sensitive one that local people would welcome.”

Mr Gray has refused to give any further details on which business he believes is interested. Local speculation is that washing machine and vacuum manufacturer Dyson, which moved to Malmesbury from Chippenham some years ago but has now outgrown its factory there, would be keen to stay in the area and expand.
James Gray MP plays down fears over houses in Hullavington (From This Is Wiltshire)

Now seeing as the Chancellor has been crowing about autonomous electric vehicles recently in the press: George Osborne to open UK roads to driverless cars by 2020 | News | Lifestyle | The Independent

And also his budget last year boosted this: Budget 2015: Research into driverless cars boosted - FT.com

Then here is my theory. Dyson will be the lead in building autonomous electric cars in the UK, using his new battery technology, and building them at Hullavington. If I'm right I'll claim my £5 and if I'm wrong I'll keep wearing my tin foil hat...

...if correct then its not great news for the 'Northern Powerhouse', though. Maybe they should rename it the 'Western Powerhouse' with the recent investment at St Athan for the Aston Martin DB-X factory!! Maybe, HS2 should be routed westwards instead!

LJ

140WP
27th Sep 2017, 17:03
So - it will be electric cars!
Dyson to make electric cars from 2020 By Ian Pollock Business reporter, BBC News 26 September 2017

Sir James Dyson accused the mainstream car industry of polluting the world with diesel emissions
Dyson, the engineering company best known for its vacuum cleaners and fans, plans to spend £2bn developing a "radical" electric car.
The battery-powered vehicle is due to be launched in 2020.
Dyson says 400 staff have been working on the secret project for the past two years at its headquarters in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
However, the car does not yet exist, with no prototype built, and a factory site is yet to be chosen.
Sir James declined to give further details of the project. "Competition for new technology in the automotive industry is fierce and we must do everything we can to keep the specifics of our vehicle confidential," he told staff in an email.
Important points that are undecided or secret include the firm's expected annual production total, the cost of the car, or its range or top speed.
Sir James said about £1bn would be spent on developing the car, with another £1bn on making the battery.
Analysis: Richard Westcott, BBC transport correspondent
It was a slightly unusual launch, but then, Sir James Dyson likes to be different.
In a small room above his swanky London shop he told us about his vision for a clean car.
First up, we were treated to an old clip of Blue Peter, from the 90s, where Anthea Turner interviewed him about his new device to clean soot from the exhaust of diesel vehicles... it was the cyclone from his vacuum cleaner, put to a different use.
"That is how long I have wanted to do this," he told us.
In fact he first hatched the idea in the late 1980s.
Since then, he has developed motors and batteries and now he is able to bring all that expertise together in a new, electric car.
He promised that it will be radical and different, because, as he put it, what is the point of making it like any other car?
And he promised that it will not be cheap.
I did ask how much it would be to put down a deposit... he told me he would have to think about it.
Further development work will take place at a former RAF base at Hullavington in Wiltshire, where staff will move to in February.
Sir James also said that his firm's car would look "radical and different", but will not be aimed at the mass market.
The motor is designed and ready to go, he said, but the firm is still designing the car.
Dyson's decision means it is joining the rush within the global car industry to develop and make electric cars.
Dyson hopes to challenge other electric car manufacturers such as Tesla
Some manufacturers such as Nissan, Tesla, Renault, BMW and Hyundai already manufacture them.
Others such as VW, Volvo, Mercedes, Honda and Jaguar Land Rover have announced plans to sell electric or hybrid versions of their existing petrol and diesel engine ranges.
VW, for instance, plans to spend 20bn euros (£17.5bn) by 2030 to develop its battery powered vehicles.
Sir James said he had been interested since 1990 in developing filtration technology to stop vehicle diesel emissions polluting the environment.
But as the motor industry had shown no interest in adopting this idea, he would instead join the fast-growing trend to make electric vehicles.

pr00ne
27th Sep 2017, 18:00
.."factory site yet to be chosen..."

This from a guy who does his manufacturing in the Far East, mainly Malaysia.

140WP
30th Sep 2017, 21:19
Chris Hazlewood and Andrew Gough from Dyson attended the Hullavington Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 13th September to give an update on how development of the airfield is progressing.
The planning application for the two hangars, 85 and 86, near Stock Wood was submitted to Wiltshire Council on 13th March with an expected decision date of 12th June. However, Highways England asked for a three-month delay on 26th April and on 21st July, a further 3-month delay was requested by them, before a decision was made.
This was mainly because of work being done at Junction 17 and the impact that the Chippenham Gateway development will have on the motorway. WYG, the agents for Dyson, are currently working with Wiltshire Council on this matter.
Work on Hangar 86 that does not need planning permission is proceeding, mainly sorting out the inside of that hangar, getting rid of asbestos etc. Currently the doors of that hangar are resting on the airfield prior to being refurbished and replaced.
Work on Hangar 85 was halted because Greater Crested Newts were found on the site. A new sanctuary has been made for them to the south of the hangar and in due course they will be re-homed there.
Work has also started on Hangar 81 at E site (to the left of the Grittleton road as you leave the village). This hangar had the grass covering removed many years ago but this will be replaced as part of the refurbishment and the hangar will be used as a Research and Development area when refurbished, access to this area will be from the airfield.
This work does not need planning permission but an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness will be submitted.
Concern from a parishioner at the meeting, regarding the junction of the C31 with the A429, was raised, it is considered that this problem will be addressed when the Masterplan is submitted to Wiltshire Council.
Mention was also made about the proliferation of light aircraft flying over the airfield. This is because it no longer comes under Lyneham Control Zone and Area jurisdiction so anyone can fly over the airfield now!

fincastle84
1st Oct 2017, 05:40
I did my first ever Air Training Corps summer camp here with 140 Matlock sqn in August 1960.
5 years later I started my Nav. training at Cranwell & subsequently enjoyed nearly 30 years on Shacks & Nimrods. Happy days.

pr00ne
1st Oct 2017, 11:59
How strange to be planning on doing cutting edge state of the art research in refurbished asbestos ridden 82 year old buildings.

Just build from new, surely?

140WP
1st Oct 2017, 14:44
All asbestos is being stripped out and Dyson has stated that he will develop the airfield with respect to it's aviation heritage. Sounds good to me!

140WP
1st Oct 2017, 14:56
Hopefully this link will work and shows an artists impression of how Hangars 86 and 85 will look when refurbished.

http://unidoc.wiltshire.gov.uk/UniDoc/Document/File/MTcvMDIzNDQvRlVMLDk1NDU1OA==

navstar1
1st Oct 2017, 15:01
I trained at Hullavington in 1964. A great place and excellent training. Really good Officers Mess. I believe it is now back in very safe hands. Good luck to him.

pr00ne
1st Oct 2017, 15:25
140WP,

That does look impressive, those D type hangars are quite impressive in their own right and certainly large.
I didn't realise that he was developing the remote hangar site. Wonder what will happen to the main site?

pr00ne
1st Oct 2017, 15:26
navstar1,

The Officers mess is, and remains, an Army Mess for the resident Army unit. Not sure if or when the main site is closing.

140WP
1st Oct 2017, 16:32
MOD stated that the Hullavington Barracks site would be sold by 2029 but rumours have it that it will be sold in about 5 years!

140WP
1st Oct 2017, 16:36
pr00ne The development of the main site will be revealed in the "Masterplan" Residents of Hullavington are eagerly awaiting to see this application when it is submitted to Wiltshire Council for planning permission. At the recent Parish Council meeting Chris Hazelwood said that it would take 10 years before the site was fully completed! Hope I am still around to see it!

pr00ne
1st Oct 2017, 19:46
140WP,

Thanks, interesting.

Earlier on you mentioned hangar 81, one of the grassed storage hangars, and it being converted for Research and Development use? I presume that is not as a part of the Dyson set up, a speculative conversion or for another customer?

It would be nice to think that at least some of the domestic site buildings will be preserved at least in their external appearance. I know that Hullavington is a standard expansion era RAF station, with standardised Georgian style buildings identical to those found at scores of stations up and down the country, and now in a myriad of uses, but I think I am right in saying that Hullavington is unique in that some of the key domestic buildings were built out of local material, in this case Cotswold stone?

ExAscoteer
1st Oct 2017, 21:00
Yes.

Moreover, Hullavington, whilst it was not the first '30s expansion airfield to open, was the prototype penned by Archibald Bulloch.

140WP
1st Oct 2017, 21:49
Dyson got the lot!
Hangar 81 and the one next to it, plus the gliding hangars, 89 and 90, plus a bit of other land in Hullavington Parish was the only part of the airfield to be sold on the open market. The other two areas were sold to the original owners under the Crichel Down Rules, who then must have done some sort of deal with Dyson.
RAF Hullavington, now known as Buckley Barracks and the home to 9 Regt RLC - and to me anyway - will always be unique as my late husband was posted there in 1966 and I'm still here! Lovely village and community to live in.
There are many listed buildings on the main site, including the Officers Mess, many of them constructed using Cotswold Stone and - rumours again - Dyson is interested in acquiring that as well!

140WP
2nd Oct 2017, 10:23
pr00ne
Just come across this:

Unique on any RAF station, the majority of the buildings are faced with locally produced ‘Bath’ stone. This may have been requested by the Duke of Beaufort, but was likely an attempt by the Air Ministry to satisfy the Royal Fine Arts Commission and the Society for the Preservation of Rural England.

140WP
22nd Nov 2017, 08:27
Planning application 17/02344 - permission was finally granted on 11th October, following the decision by Highways England that they had no objections. The Officer's report stated that Dyson had also bought Stock Wood! It is anticipated that hangars 85 and 86 will be brought into use by Dyson in February 2018. The Masterplan for the site is still awaited.

140WP
7th Dec 2017, 15:55
Hangar 89, with a farewell message from 621VGS when they had to leave in January 2017 and on 6th December 2017 being prepared for the Dyson Christmas party to be held on 8th December. This will now be the Entertainment hangar for Dyson and has been acoustically clad.

140WP
9th Dec 2017, 12:52
An article in the Daily Mail recently with a drone's eye view of the airfield.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiMm_u1h_3XAhVGbxQKHS1kDGwQtwIIKTAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fvideo%2Fmoney%2Fvideo-1543833%2FDyson-develop-electric-car-Hullavington-Airfield.html&usg=AOvVaw2TqDRdgx2NmJKRXPoUAAnA

cessnapete
9th Dec 2017, 13:10
Great to operate/base his Gulfstream there, with new RNAV/LPV approaches.

Always a Sapper
9th Dec 2017, 21:28
An article in the Daily Mail recently with a drone's eye view of the airfield.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiMm_u1h_3XAhVGbxQKHS1kDGwQtwIIKTAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fvideo%2Fmoney%2Fvideo-1543833%2FDyson-develop-electric-car-Hullavington-Airfield.html&usg=AOvVaw2TqDRdgx2NmJKRXPoUAAnA

Doesn't look anything like that now. Lot of work been done on one of the Hangers (86 IIRC) it looks really good inside and out. Shame we cant afford to do the same to ours.

140WP
15th Dec 2017, 18:11
Another licence for Dyson approved for Hangar 181 - 17/09497/CLP – Dyson 17/09497/CLP Hangar 181 Hullavington Airfield Wiltshire SN14 6GU
Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Use as Workshop/Light Industrial

140WP
22nd Feb 2018, 22:48
At the meeting of the Parish Council held on 14th February 2018, we were pleased to welcome Chris Hazlewood and Andy Gough, representing Dyson, who gave an update on the works that are being carried out on the airfield.
Comments had been received regarding the “Caution Site Entrance” signs, when approaching the Wellington Place access road from the village, which had been displaced and Dyson will be addressing this problem when road improvements are carried out in that area.
Light pollution was causing some problems to residents of Stanton St. Quintin but because of the delay - caused by Highways England - on the planning application 17/02344 for works on hangars 85 and 86, it was now necessary for the contractors to work extended hours to enable occupation of Hangar 86 by Dyson workers. This is a temporary problem and lighting on the site will be addressed in the Masterplan for the airfield in the near future and as required by the relevant planning conditions.
(I found it most interesting that Kier Construction, who are the contractors working on the hangars, were involved in constructing the hangars when they were originally built!)
The glass frontage of the hangar is now in place and, when the doors have been refurbished, two of them will be put back in place. A picture of the interior of the hangar, showing the mezzanine level was displayed.
The two marquees erected on the airfield are temporary shelters for Dyson staff, who are currently parking at Hullavington and being transported by coach to the Dyson site in Malmesbury.
A parishioner mentioned the problems of egress from the junction of the C31S with the A429 and there is a probability that a roundabout will be put in place at some stage. Dyson are liaising with Wiltshire Council Highways and Highways England to agree a scheme for which a planning application will be submitted later this year.
Work on Hangar 181 at E site (Application 17/09497/CLP) is progressing and the roof will be re-turfed when weather conditions allow.
Further planning applications will be submitted for road improvements, fencing works inside the site, substations for new power connections and a café for use by Dyson employees which will be sited where the temporary car park - near Hangars 85 and 86 - is.
It is anticipated that an Outline Planning Application for the wider “Masterplan” scheme will be submitted later this year.

NutLoose
23rd Feb 2018, 13:35
Dyson - Hullavington - News - Sceptre Networking: Data Cabling Specialist South West UK (http://www.sceptrenet.co.uk/news/2017/12/12/dyson---hullavington/)

https://www.hydrock.com/projects/hullavington-airfield-dyson/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/01/technology/dyson-uk-expansion-research/index.html

140WP
23rd Feb 2018, 16:03
Forgot to add that Dyson has also bought Stockwood and several fields surrounding the airfield!

Lima Juliet
24th Feb 2018, 07:19
Loving his Cafe :ok:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/170301105127-dyson-uk-headquarters-780x439.jpg

superplum
24th Feb 2018, 08:49
Loving his Cafe :ok:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/170301105127-dyson-uk-headquarters-780x439.jpg

Me too, but no drip trays?
:cool:

140WP
24th Feb 2018, 13:39
I am wondering what he will have suspended in the Dyson staff cafe on the airfield. It is being built on the site that was approved for the temporary car park because of the aspect of the airfield from there.

Whizz Bang
24th Feb 2018, 14:10
If it's going to be suitable for small jet ops why couldn't the VGS stay...? Aside from the feeble 2FTS leadership...

NutLoose
24th Feb 2018, 14:48
He has a Harrier in the carpark, perhaps that.

BossEyed
24th Feb 2018, 18:07
Me too, but no drip trays?
:cool:

They're there, but are taken back to the serving hatch after use.

140WP
24th Feb 2018, 19:27
Whizz Bang 136 - in a word - Security! 621 VGS were granted an extension until they got sorted out at Little Rissington

140WP
2nd Apr 2018, 18:39
For a sneaky preview of what is happening inside Hangar 86, take a look at - Dyson - Hullavington - News - Sceptre Networking: Data Cabling Specialist South West UK (http://www.sceptrenet.co.uk/news/2017/12/12/dyson---hullavington/)
This company also has a FB page

Al R
4th Apr 2018, 06:11
Dyson stepping up a gear into Automotive? What a brand to take on Tesla etc.

https://jobs.dyson.com/jobs/JobDetail/Talent-Pool-Alan/6510?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Broxmead123
17th Apr 2018, 10:31
Smudge Tengah Type

I started my Nav trg at Gaydon in Nov 69 so Big H had closed by then. I was privileged to live in the OM there in 1972/73 as it was overflow accommodation for the OM at Lyneham. 18 singlies galavanting around the world and living in a country club!! Happy days.

Nobby and Percy were the barman and they were glad that the Mess had a resurrection as only 4 livers until we arrived - 2 were civil servant.

Our pubs were the Vine Tree in Norton, the Suffolk Arms in Malmesbury and the Wild Duck in Ewen near Kemble.

middlesborough - The White Hart at Ford still going and well known

Big H parties started with my 21st in 1971!

140WP
26th Apr 2018, 14:36
Dedication service of WAAF stained glass window in Stanton St Quintin church

Here is a reminder of the special service to be held on Sunday May 6th. Hope to see some of you there!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155609520435669&set=gm.10155583871101325&type=3&ifg=1 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155609520435669&set=gm.10155583871101325&ty pe=3&ifg=1)

140WP
28th Apr 2018, 08:53
Re post 139 - the link to Sceptre was taken down, and on their FB page!

140WP
14th Jul 2018, 16:05
Hullavington Parish Council was, once again, delighted to welcome Dyson representatives Chris Hazlewood and Andy Gough to the Parish Council meeting held on 13th June.
16 parishioners also attended.
We were informed that the hangars at "E" site, to the left of the Grittleton road out of the village - although both structurally sound - required extensive repairs to the roofs.
Hangar 181, from which the grass covering had been removed many years ago, has now been re-turfed following this work.
Hangar 180 - next to it – will soon receive the same treatment and be stripped of its turf, with remedial works to the roof also being carried out, before being restored to its former grassed glory. What an undertaking!
Hangar 181 is now in the process of being fitted out ready for occupation, with Hangar 180’s fit-out to follow in due course.
Hangar 86 is expected to be in use from 18.6.2018, with 300 staff located there. Hangar 85 refurbishment has also commenced.
It was re-confirmed that Dyson will be developing electric vehicles on the site, and part of the airfield may be used to create test track facilities, however this is - of course - subject to planning and further consultation.
In addition, it was confirmed that Dyson were working on finalising the masterplan for the airfield in advance of an outline planning application being made soon. This is likely to include:
· A cafe/restaurant - for use by Dyson employees - sited close to Hangars 85 and 86.
· A Visitor Centre and other facilities located in the proximity of Hangar 89 (the old gliding hangar).
Subject to consultation there may also be a three-armed roundabout on the C1 road, approx 400 metres from the existing Wellington Place entrance as you head towards the village, in order to improve traffic flow and safety.
And - saving the best 'til last!
Again subject to consultation, there might be a three-armed roundabout at the junction of the A429/C1 road that leads to the village!
Further details re the above will be available when the planning applications have been submitted to Wiltshire Council sometime in July.
I will let you have the application numbers as soon as they are on the WC website.

140WP
1st Aug 2018, 20:43
COMMUNICATION RECEIVED FROM DYSON.
DYSON will shortly be submitting an outline planning application for the masterplan of Hullavington Airfield. The company are keen to ensure the community have an opportunity to see the plans and ask questions. To achieve this they plan to hold presentation/drop in sessions in each of the three parish halls that are affected by the development.
The format will be a set of information/images to view with representatives from Dyson and the design team on hand to field any questions. It will be very informal.
If you want to know all about one of the biggest developments in the parish for years do come along.
As the Village Hall is undergoing maintenance at the moment the Hullavington session will be held on Monday 13th August in the Village Church and will be open between 4pm and 7pm.

NutLoose
2nd Aug 2018, 17:20
Thanks for the updates, we appreciated them.

140WP
15th Aug 2018, 08:09
A few photos from the Dyson presentation mentioned abovehttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1180_4_fcbba1de1f3f50fd240e7ef57b71dc09f6c664cd.jpghttps ://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1176_8_b7915b232df98d0421da0a9e036ad94bd52b9386.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1179_5_eaf3f19c12b8d90cb5da3eafce3d74664e056951.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1188_6_12cc6f13ffd509358233e80b6047f35356b815a6.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1178_3_ee0e52c7f7a42f634d170418b5ecaef5104911c3.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1191_4_4de806e0c118d6931be32a265fbf6f2357b35631.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_1192_3_c11ea81481d6da02a6de500bec79faf6027638dc.jpg

Whizz Bang
15th Aug 2018, 17:44
Ample greenery and tarmac to have continued operating a VGS... given the right leadership...

Frelon
16th Aug 2018, 16:20
... given the right leadership...

Dream on, they have seriously lost the plot, too much risk in flying children! 621 VGS Historic Glider Flight would be seriously interested in using what's left of the airfield, as they used to fly from Hullavington.

140WP
31st Aug 2018, 09:05
The latest Press Release from Dyson - the planning application for the MasterPlan for the airfield has been submitted to Wiltshire Council but is not yet available on line, I will post it on here when it is. I think many will find the Dyson Magazine very interesting. on.dyson.co.uk (http://on.dyson.co.uk/) Hopefully the link will work I think you will have to copy and paste it.
PRESS RELEASE STRICTLY EMBARGOED: 00:01 BST Thursday 30th August
Dyson reveals £200m investment in Wiltshire as it embarks on the next phase of Electric Vehicle development:
Phase two of the Hullavington Airfield plan outlines a £200m investment for UK expansion. Dyson’s 400 strong automotive team have now moved onto the airfield
Plans show extensive vehicle testing facilities.
Hullavington Airfield, Wiltshire, UK. Following the recent occupation of the restored hangars at Hullavington Airfield, Dyson has outlined the next phase of the development of the campus.Together with Sterling Prize winning architect Chris Wilkinson, Dyson is already restoring and enhancing the airfield, carefully breathing life back into the historic World War Two hangars to create state-of-the-art engineering work spaces.To date, Dyson has invested £84m into its new technology centre with the restoration of the first two 1938 hangars. 400 members of Dyson automotive team have now moved into the advanced automotive space and a further three buildings are on course for delivery over the coming months, providing an additional 15,000m2 of testing space.
Hullavington Phase Two:
The phase two plan outlines the next stage in the airfield’s development and would take Dyson’s investment to £200m. The planning application includes over ten miles of vehicle test tracks for vehicle development and verification. In addition it outlines 45,000sqm of new development space which could accommodate over 2,000 people as well as a café; sports centre; recreation space; and supporting technical facilities.
The testing track proposals include:
Dynamic Handling Track – a specialised track to assess and tune all aspects of ride, handling, steering and brakes
Vehicle Stability Dynamic Platform – a large asphalt covered area for testing vehicle manoeuvrability
Off Road Route – a mixed driving route that simulates the challenges of driving off road through soft and
varied terrain
Hill and Handling Road Route – a simulation of a challenging fast road route incorporating corners of differing severity and changes in altitude
Fast Road Route –a track to test a vehicle up to its maximum speed as well as the functionality of advanced driver assistance systems
Test Slopes – differing gradients for testing powertrain functionality
Jim Rowan, Dyson, CEO, said: “Our growing automotive team is now working from Dyson’s state-of-the-art hangars at Hullavington Airfield. It will quickly become a world-class vehicle testing campus where we hope to invest £200m, creating more high-skilled jobs for Britain. We are now firmly focused on the next stage of our automotive project strengthening our credentials as a global research and development organisation”
About Hullavington

Construction of Hullavington Airfield commenced in 1936 as the Air Ministry set about developing a Flight Training School. In the early days its runways were grass and its first aircraft biplanes, but Hullavington quickly expanded and became a significant airfield.
With the beginning of the Second World War, top officers from allied nations came to Hullavington to share strategies and deepen their understanding of how to fly aircraft to the point of limit. By 1940 Hullavington was a base for aircraft from Mosquitoes, Spitfires and Lancasters to Douglas Bostons, North American Mitchells and GAL Hotspur troop-carrying gliders. By the end of the war there were over 1,000 aircraft based on the airfield.
The airfield has architectural significance, bringing together the architectural influences of Blomfield and Lutyens, Le Corbusier and the Bauhaus school. It is probably the most representative surviving example of Royal Air Force architecture of the post 1934 "Expansion Period".
A branch of the Met Office was stationed at Hullavington during WW2. A balloons and aircraft were used to collect weather data for the Met Office. The Balloon Operations Squadron was disbanded in 1995 and the last RAF balloon flew over Hullavington on 29th March 1995.
The Parachute Packing Unit was also located at Hullavington, with vast parachute drying ovens within
the hangars. Production lines were staffed by smartly dressed teams, carefully packing the parachutes away – safely – for their next exercise.
Since 1995, the airfield has been largely inactive until 2016 when Dyson purchased it with cross-Government support. The barracks are currently occupied by 9 Theatre Logistic Regiment Royal Logistic Corps (RLC)
- ENDS-
Notes to Editors
About Dyson
 Dyson is a global technology company with engineering and testing operations in Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines and the UK. Dyson employs over 12,000 people globally including 4,500 engineers and scientists – with an increasing proportion in South East Asia where production and operations also take place. Total UK headcount has increased 2.5 times over the last five years alone to 4,800.
 Dyson is realising ambitious plans to develop new technologies with global teams focused on the development of solid state battery cells, high-speed electric motors, vision systems, machine learning technologies, and AI.
 Dyson’s 67 acre campus in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, is also home to the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology, which opened in September 2017. Dyson is making a £31m investment into UK higher education to help overcome the shortage of engineers in the UK. The four year degree programme, free of tuition fees, covers the fundamentals of engineering in years one and two. It delivers electronics and mechanical engineering content in years three and four – all alongside a paid job within Dyson’s research and development team, working on real products, with leading engineers and scientists.
About Dyson’s Battery Electric Car
 In September 2017 Dyson revealed that it has been working on a vehicle over the previous three years. It announced that it would be investing £2bn into the development of the BEV for launch in 2021. The project builds on Dyson’s existing expertise in solid state batteries, motors, vision systems, robotics, HVAC and aerodynamics. It represents an ambitious project on tight timelines.
 Dyson is currently recruiting an additional 300 automotive roles.
Local information
 Alongside plans for the campus, Dyson has outlined road improvements, to improve safety and traffic flow on the A429. A new three-arm roundabout is proposed from the C1 Hullavington Road in the north eastern part of the site. This in turn will connect to a new three arm roundabout on the A429 via a new realigned link road. The connecting link road between the two roundabouts will replace the existing alignment of the C1 Hullavington Road, which is narrow and has tight bends. The old alignment will be retained as a service road for the existing properties/businesses on the north side of Hullavington Road.Report to moderator (https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/wiltshire-airfields/1/report/155002)
Quick Reply

140WP
31st Aug 2018, 13:27
The latest outline planning application submitted by Dyson for the Masterplan for Hullavington airfield is now available on the Wiltshire Council Website. The application number is 18/08271/OUT

Cut and paste Search planning applications - Wiltshire Council (http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/planning-applications-search) into your browser and then insert the application number in the relevant box.

pr00ne
23rd Oct 2018, 09:44
I see that Dyson has just announced that his new electric car will be manufactured at a new factory he is going to build in Singapore. Another wonderful move by the Brexit supporting Dyson...

Pontius Navigator
23rd Oct 2018, 09:50
Only way he can make it cheap enough to sell at an affordable price of double the competition.

pr00ne
23rd Oct 2018, 09:52
PN,

In his announcement he says that cost was nothing to do with it.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Oct 2018, 10:12
As Mandy would have said.

To be honest though, as the calculator market took off Singapore was at the forefront making a well engineered calculator for HP. Gold plated pins even.
​​​​

NutLoose
18th Apr 2019, 13:34
The locals are objecting to his plans for 60 jet flights and 300 rotary a year, pollution and noise... they should have been there 50 odd years ago!

https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/17579156.fears-over-noise-and-pollution-from-jets-and-helicopters/?ref=mr&lp=8

Blossy
18th Apr 2019, 22:03
The locals are objecting to his plans for 60 jet flights and 300 rotary a year, pollution and noise... they should have been there 50 odd years ago!

https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/17579156.fears-over-noise-and-pollution-from-jets-and-helicopters/?ref=mr&lp=8

What a total surprise. Wot abaht their yumin rites then? Of course they complain. It's all some people ever seem to do. Unfortunately.

140WP
19th Apr 2019, 09:31
From this in 2016

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1238cdc7cc31736e53aba0124/images/877507a7-de9b-4e0d-811d-28a73b2c5d98.jpg

To this in 2018 https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1238cdc7cc31736e53aba0124/images/aef7171a-5b30-444b-aba4-d7e3bfed0e98.jpg

At the meeting of the Parish Council, held on Wednesday 10th April, the PC was pleased to welcome six members of the team from Dyson who are involved with the restoration of "our airfield", and four members of the public.
Amongst the Dyson members present were Ollie Blair, from the Dyson Communications Office, who attended the Dyson presentation held in the church last year. Ollie was instrumental in getting the "on:Dyson" magazine printed (usually only available online) so that hard copies were available for those in the parish without computers. The magazines have been distributed around the parish and gratefully received - more a family heirloom than a company magazine! Copies have also been given to the Museums in Malmesbury and Chippenham and the Wiltshire Records Office.
We were also introduced to Steve Deakin, the Facilities Manager at Hullavington who, when alerted to the fact that the stile at the back of the Village Green - on land in the ownership of Dyson - was in need of urgent repair, ensured that the work was carried out to an excellent standard. Thanks were conveyed to Ollie and Steve.
It was confirmed that the various works covered by approved planning application 17/02344/FUL were nearing completion with hangar 86 (before and after photos above) occupied and hangar 85 expected to be occupied in June of this year.
Hangars 180 and 181 are also expected to be brought into use shortly following the re-turfing of the hangar roofs.
It was explained that the Masterplan for the airfield - application no. 18/08271/OUT - which was submitted to Wiltshire Council (WC) in August 2018 was still under consideration by the Planning Officer!
This covers many aspects of the complete restoration and development of the whole site and, over the next few years, separate applications for various projects within the Masterplan will be submitted for approval.
One of these is application no. 18/08273/FUL, also submitted in August 2018 for the "Provision of new access arrangements to site, comprising a re-aligned section of C1 road and new roundabouts at both the junction of the A429/C1 roads and on the C1 road".
It is hoped that the decision regarding this application will be made shortly and will mean that there will be a new roundabout on the A429 which will make it much safer to exit the junction by the Karting Hangar - an improvement that is at least 10 years overdue.
The latest planning application 19/02543/FUL, submitted on March 12th, is for the "Construction of new hangar adjacent to Hangars 85 & 86 and associated works, extension to existing runway and provision of new runway lighting, and erection of new airfield fencing".
The decision date for this is 11th June but I suspect that it will also be delayed as has been the case with all the other applications!
This application has caused concern to some in the village and parishioner Sandra Barnes asked various relevant questions all of which were answered satisfactorily.
Sandra has established, by checking with the CAA website, that an application has been received by them from Dyson in relation to the development of the runway. This application states that they hope to have various licences in place and the runway operational by April 2020. It is also stated that they forecast up to 60 fixed wing aircraft movements a year and 300 helicopter movements a year. Hullavington Parish Council supports the application, with reservations, as it considers that it lacks detail. All the planning applications referred to above can be viewed on line on the Wiltshire Council website: wiltshire.gov.uk

Clockwork Mouse
19th Apr 2019, 17:16
My God pr00ne your continual negativity makes me want to slit my wrists.

Chris Kebab
19th Apr 2019, 19:42
The locals may have a point that this may actually be nothing to do with Dyson the company but more to do with a billionaire wanting his own personal airstrip down the road from his enormous pad just north of Bath and who has got fed up having to helo over to Bristol to pick up his jet.

Not sure Hullavington has seen jet flying in the lifetime of many posters on here?

Quietplease
19th Apr 2019, 20:55
3 Jet Provost 1 courses 1955-57. Not much thrust but lots of noise.

140WP
20th Apr 2019, 00:28
I have lived in Hullavington since 1966 and we had Harrier Jump Jets carrying out exercises on the airfield a few years ago.

pr00ne
20th Apr 2019, 12:47
Clockwork Mouse,

What?

That was a post from six months ago.

Sorry if you find facts inconvenient.

And WHAT "continual negativity?" The vast majority of my posts are in response to someone running down the modern RAF, the UK, UK industry, or comparing modern day existence to some rose tinted past that never existed. Or saying that I like a film or a TV programme that others go and castigate as not being as good as something from the 50's or 60's. Not sure quite what you mean about negativity, but if you are still feeling suicidal then I hope you get the help that you need.

pr00ne
20th Apr 2019, 12:48
140WP,

Thanks that wonderful comparison photo post. That sure looks good. It will be nice if their plans for the airfield do come to fruition.

140WP
21st Apr 2019, 09:24
I will update when the Planning Officers have made their decision - this could take quite a while!

Vendee
21st Apr 2019, 09:47
I have lived in Hullavington since 1966 and we had Harrier Jump Jets carrying out exercises on the airfield a few years ago.

Indeed. I remember deploying there with 1(F) Sqn Harriers in 1984.

Chris Kebab
21st Apr 2019, 13:37
Indeed. I remember deploying there with 1(F) Sqn Harriers in 1984.
OK fair cop, guess I should have elaborated with "based at" rather than simply flying.

Then again, if we used the fact that a Harrier had actually operated from there as a precedence to argue a case for more permanent activity we'd have stuff flying from all sorts of odd places given some of the sites you chaps dropped into!

140WP
25th Apr 2019, 12:02
Gosh! Was it that long ago Vendee- seems like only yesterday!

Background Noise
25th Apr 2019, 12:32
140WP,
Thanks that wonderful comparison photo post. That sure looks good. It will be nice if their plans for the airfield do come to fruition.
It is amazing what can be done to some of our 'traditional' facilities. Look at Mitchell Hall, the old Officers Mess, at Cranfield. I sometimes wonder if more of that had been done whether more folk would live on base and/or be more likely to stay in?

Vendee
26th Apr 2019, 21:18
Gosh! Was it that long ago Vendee- seems like only yesterday!

Well I came off Harriers soon after that. They may have carried on deploying to Hullavington for some years.