PDA

View Full Version : Commercial pilot in Australia.

AdamHanis
12th Nov 2015, 04:27
Hello ppprune,

I am Adam, 21 and from Singapore.

My highest qualification to this point of time is 5 GCSE O levels which includes English, Maths and Sciences.

I want to pursue my dream to be a commercial pilot.

I have tried to explore several routes but I just can't make up my mind to which should I go with. I would like to seek some kind advice.

My first choice was to go ahead with a QATAR WINGS MPL route. However, they are currently closed for applications and it would take quite a while. I would like to settle down in Australia in future, my sister is also PR of Australia.

Therefore, I would like to work my way up to fly for an Australian airliner one day. I currently have no flying experience and looking for a about initio course. I am currently considering CTC molecular CPL MEIR route in new Zealand or CAE integrated ATPL course / university course. I understand that I would need to get my experience hours up. Which school could give me a better chance to get a job as a flight instructor or any other jobs to get my hours and experience up? Till I could one day "unfreeze" my ATPL and get a job with an airliner. I am also a Singapore Resident, therefore I would need to get a visa for Australia. I would like to move on to apply for a PR too in future.

I am also considering the CAE unvisersity route.

Can anyone advice me on any steps I could take please? What time frame would I be looking at with training any of working annyonedvicemltns a flight instructor till I can get a job with an airliner?

Kind regards.

Greenny
12th Nov 2015, 08:17
AFAIK, you don't need to unfreeze your fATPL in order to get a job, it's just a requirement set by some companies. However, that forces you to get really good test results (>90%) to make up for the lack of experience, and it's still not guaranteed. In my opinion, having a university degree is a nice plan B, in case you don't pass the medical or have any other problem.

I believe it's hard to get a job as a flight instructor when having no flying experience, especially at a renowned FTO, so I'm going to aim directly for a FO job myself. There are several cadet schemes in Southeast Asia; being a Singapore national (or resident, I hope it works the same way) you can apply to Jetstar and Cathay Pacific, and maybe some more that I've missed. Check this out: Becoming an Airline Pilot | Pilot Training | Latest Pilot Jobs (http://www.flightdeckfriend.com/#!cadet-airline-pilot-programs/c930)

My advice: prepare hard and try to get in an MPL route (or standard ATPL scheme if the airline doesn't offer the first). If you don't succeed and can afford it, get in a good school and study on your own —some say integrated offers you more chances of getting hired, some say it's not worth the overprice, so it's up to you. If you plan to move to Australia, do some research about local or NZ FTOs.

AdamHanis
12th Nov 2015, 13:05
Thank you Greenny for your reply.

Would it be adviceable if I were to take a medical screening for class 1 before hand just to know my eligibility?

I've tried to consider every MPL or direct cadet route that I am eligible for but they are closed. I area not trying to rush into my training but I would really like to start my training as soon areas possible. Will keep a look out with the link you sent. I appreciate it a lot!

Cheers.

gfunc
12th Nov 2015, 14:31
I suggest you have a good read of the current threads in the ANZ section of this site - although Australians like to whinge more than any other nation the general tone will give you a good impression of the state of aviation. Having left Oz 6 months ago, I can can say first hand that the outlook for up and coming pilots in Oz is depressingly bleak. GA is moribund as a consequence of the economy and a bonkers regulator - one of my former instructors has told me that it is the worst he has seen it in 35 years.

The Australian airlines haven't recruited low hours guys in significant numbers for a very long time, and from what I've been told (i.e. this is rumour I cannot verify!) even people on the airline cadetships aren't making it to the cockpit. A glimmer of hope are the whispers recently that Qantas are looking to recruit second officers in the near future - if this come to fruition I would be willing to bet that all the positions would go to ex RAAF guys and the expats with thousands of hours who currently work in Asia or the Middle East.

Please think carefully looking at the glossy brochures and don't rely on promises of job after training (unless accompanied by a binding legal contract) as some of the schools will tell you anything you want to hear to get you to splash the cash. My suggestion is that for the time being, if you want a great place to live go to Oz, if you want to work as a pilot, think about somewhere else.

G

Greenny
12th Nov 2015, 15:21
Would it be adviceable if I were to take a medical screening for class 1 before hand just to know my eligibility?
Definitely, I strongly recommend that, so that you can plan your future in advance.

I've tried to consider every MPL or direct cadet route that I am eligible for but they are closed. I area not trying to rush into my training but I would really like to start my training as soon areas possible.
Would you be willing to leave SE Asia for a few years? If so, there are several cadet schemes in Europe which you can maybe apply to —don't know which law restrictions there are for people outside EU—, but you're bound to the job location for the first years, which is probably not what you're looking for.

As gfunc said, you can get more help in the ANZ subforum.

It's not easy, so have courage and do your best. Oh, and don't hesitate to share your progress with us, I hope to read you made it someday :ok:

AdamHanis
14th Nov 2015, 15:18
Thank you gfunc for your kind reply.

I've been to Oz quite a number of times. Yes I agree it's a beautiful country to live in. However, I am not aware of the aviation market there. I will be reading those treats to better inform myself on what's it's like there. I admit I'm one who looks at fancy top rated schools which offers atpl with degree etc, I'm not trying to sound desperate but I really have been finding possible routes to pursue my dreams.

Hi again Greenny,
I've been reading on those MPL schemes. Leaving SE Asia for good won't be aware problem to me honestly. I'm willing to travel almost anywhere. Somewhere which could secure me a job with an airliner. I apologise if I may seem very desperate. Most of the MPLs in EU requires the right to live and work in the EU, with further research, to my knowledge, that means a EU residentship or a PR. Neither of which do I hold.