PDA

View Full Version : Structural limit of A320 overhead lockers

BusyB
10th Nov 2015, 11:46
Is there a published limit for thes lockers and is the latch rated the same?
I don't understand how Easy can have no weight limit.:confused:

TomU
10th Nov 2015, 12:34
There is a weight limit placard inside every overhead locker and every stowage on the aircraft. However, I don't see how the overhead locker weight limits can be monitored or enforced.
I have never seen any published data on the latch rating.

ZeBedie
10th Nov 2015, 22:11
I think there have been survivable accidents (not sure which type involved) where the lockers came down on passengers heads.

Capt. Inop
11th Nov 2015, 21:37
I think there have been survivable accidents (not sure which type involved) where the lockers came down on passengers heads.

In Boeing products you will bend the airframe before the lockers comes down.

http://s27.postimg.org/zbltv0tbn/IMG_21258.jpg

BusyB
11th Nov 2015, 21:40
Thanks to those who replied. I was hoping for a bit more info as flying Easyjet there appears to be no check on the weight going overhead. Only restriction appearing to be what you can lift.:confused:

DaveReidUK
11th Nov 2015, 22:01
The presumption is that the bins will normally bulk out before the weight limit is reached.

compressor stall
11th Nov 2015, 23:12
I have a figure of 39kgs per locker in my head. I'd have to check that though. I've not heard of a latch limit. Presumably lateral loads are not considered more critical.

FlightDetent
11th Nov 2015, 23:31
The presumption is that the bins will normally bulk out before the weight limit is reached. My underline. What is the OVHD single compartment weight limit then?

regards, FD

compressor stall
12th Nov 2015, 04:40
It's written on the back the lockers of at least one of our fleet - I think it's 39kgs.

That said, I cannot find the limitation in any documentation, from AFM, AMM, CCOM, IPC, etc.

iome
12th Nov 2015, 09:01
My guess would be a structural weight limit above 39kgs given crew often enjoy posing in the hatbins (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3229026/So-ve-gone-cabin-crew-craze-clamber-overhead-bins-Instagram-pictures.html)

lomapaseo
12th Nov 2015, 11:36
DaveReidUK

The presumption is that the bins will normally bulk out before the weight limit is reached.

:ok:

The latches also fuse out the load by popping open while the bin stays attached. I've seen bins dislodged completely even on "repairable" aircraft but that also included a pretty big twist in the fuselage during an event.

I'm always amazed by the amount of side walls and ceilings that dislodge in the aft toilets when things get really bumpy

BusyB
12th Nov 2015, 20:53
lomo

So when they "fuse out" they dump the contents on the heads of the pax below.

Safety really is a negotiable item these days isn't it.:(

FlightDetent
12th Nov 2015, 21:06
I think it's 39kgs. That said, I cannot find the limitation in any documentation, from AFM, AMM, CCOM, IPC, etc. Maybe the AMM or IPC for the decal itself? If it is not included in the AFM or noted in CCOM, then it is kind of pointless.

How many seats per bin there, for 180Y? I reckon 7,5 >> 11 pounds each.

FD.

DaveReidUK
13th Nov 2015, 08:27
How many seats per bin there, for 180Y? I reckon 7,5 >> 11 pounds each.

I can't think of any narrow-body that has enough bin space for a carry-on per seat.

A standard ICAO bag (when there was such a thing) is 45cm wide, so the passengers in a triple would need around 55 inches of bin, i.e. considerably more than the seat pitch. Or, put the other way round, on a full flight fewer than 60% of passengers will have space overhead for a carry-on.

compressor stall
13th Nov 2015, 10:27
I looked for the decal in the IPC but no luck.

I have found a reference in the WBM for an A319 that the maximum load for the length (front to back) of the overhead lockers is 660kg on the LHS and 616kg on the RHS.

It also states that the placarded weights must be observed for each locker.

TomU
13th Nov 2015, 10:33
I looked for the decal in the IPC but no luck.

I have found a reference in the WBM for an A319 that the maximum load for the length (front to back) of the overhead lockers is 660kg on the LHS and 616kg on the RHS.

It also states that the placarded weights must be observed for each locker.

It will be in IPC Ch 11 for sure. Sorry, don't have IPC on hand, so can't check sub para.