PDA

View Full Version : marshaller hand signals in stormy weather

Hoangminh90
10th Nov 2015, 01:10
I want to ask if we need to do marshaller hand signals instead of using intercom in thunderstorm weather ? Does anyone have a doccument about this .

mikedreamer787
10th Nov 2015, 03:30
1. Yes.

2. It'll be in one of your Co Ops manuals.

Capt Quentin McHale
10th Nov 2015, 05:33
Hoangminh90,

If no guidance lights onto your parking stand, the use of hand signals during stormy weather is the next best (and safest) thing to do. If your marshaller was connected to your aircraft intercom via his/her headset and the aircraft suffered a lightning strike, your friendly marshaller would get fried through his/her headset and be very lucky to survive. It has happened and no doubt will happen again, although in some countries that I have flown to, if a storm is close to the airport, the ground staff will leave their work area until the storm has passed. Better to arrive slightly late on blox than to dodge a dead/severely injured body on the ramp.

McHale. :)

Tu.114
10th Nov 2015, 06:04
Consider this: During an electric storm, would You like to touch or even hang around the highest metal structure in the area?

No? Then why should the marshaller be supposed to top this by having this structure connected to his head by a cable - one that will cause him to be fried just like on an electric chair, should lightning hit the aircraft?

This is basic workplace safety, nothing else.

wanabee777
10th Nov 2015, 07:05
At some airports, once the lightning detectors activate, all ground crew, including marshallers, will proceed indoors and will not return until 45 minutes after the last strike event was detected.

I've had this happen at KMCO.

Google: "ACRP Report 8"

Dave Clarke Fife
10th Nov 2015, 09:29
At some airports, once the lightning detectors activate, all ground crew, including marshallers, will proceed indoors and will not return until 45 minutes after the last strike event was detected."

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me I recall the whole airport shuts down.......had this happen at O'Hare (KORD). Taxi-ing out for a 32R departure, got onto the H taxiway and saw the first flash over my left shoulder. Started to speed up a bit but to no avail....... All aircraft told to stop in present position and hold. Sat on the taxiway with two shut down for about one and three quarter hours before we could start up again and continue on our merry way to UK.

Tu.114
10th Nov 2015, 11:11
In case You can read German, here (http://stmv1.orf.at/stories/284843) is a news report on a lightning that struck a DH8D at LOWG a few years ago.

The lightning struck the aircraft, luckily with noone on the headset. Nevertheless, three loaders that were working on the aircraft and two flight attendants that happened to hang around outside had to be hospitalized with burns and injuries to the head.

Working on an apron during a thunderstorm is doubtlessly dangerous, and while they may be annoying, those security measures are in force for a good reason.

coldair
10th Nov 2015, 11:55
wanabee777, many thanks for the link to ACRP Report 8.

A fascinating and must read link, I learnt a lot !

Cheers ;-)

coldair