PDA

View Full Version : Taranto 75

RNHF_PILOT
9th Nov 2015, 20:38
This week marks the 75th anniversary of operation JUDGMENT the Battle of Taranto. To tell the story we put this short film together.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/49UJmraQlc0

Before the spelling pedants try to correct me, that is the correct historical spelling of the operation codename.

Evalu8ter
10th Nov 2015, 07:06
Very nicely done. Fisheads need reminding of that Cunningham quote......

Thought the diary entry was poignant - and a pleasant change to put Judgment in its own context rather than 'it proved Pearl Harbor was possible'.

BZ

Engines
10th Nov 2015, 07:32
Great job, RHNF and the FAAM. A story that needs to be told regularly, with a key message - the Royal Navy understands 'Air Power', is skilled at 'Air Power' and can deploy 'Air Power' to the nation's advantage.

Best regards to all those who work so hard to keep the Swordfish flying

Engines

CoffmanStarter
10th Nov 2015, 07:55
Nice piece RNHF_Pilot :ok:

Best ...

Coff.

Arclite01
10th Nov 2015, 09:51
What an amazing short film that is.

Great story, great filming - well done everyone involved.

BTW - for more detail read 'War In a Stringbag' by Charles Lamb as he was one of the flare-droppers on the raid .................

Arc

Wensleydale
10th Nov 2015, 10:01
Must not forget the contribution of the RAF's No. 431 General Reconnaissance Flight (including some early missions for Adrian Warburton who would later be described by Tedder as the "Most valuable pilot in the RAF") flying Martin Marylands from Malta. The excellent quality photographs, seen on the film, provided the intelligence to plan the successful raid.

Basil
10th Nov 2015, 10:03
Great short video and reminder of what could be achieved with such aircraft.
Also a warning of the present gap in British naval aviation and land based maritime capability.

p.s. Wasn't aware that Dan Snow was a Lt Cdr in the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force ;)

Arclite01
10th Nov 2015, 10:24
Basil, If the suit fits - wear it :}

actually I expect he borrowed it locally.

I thought the 'in cockpit' footage in the film was great. Well done again RNHF.

Arc

RNHF_PILOT
10th Nov 2015, 11:41
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone.

We gave Dan Lt Cdr rank tabs because he is an Honorary Lt Cdr in the RNR.

Royalistflyer
10th Nov 2015, 12:03
Brilliant video, congratulations on a good job.

Lonewolf_50
10th Nov 2015, 13:04
Nice video. :ok: Was invited to a Taranto Night by an RN friend, and enjoyed it immensely
Great job, RHNF and the FAAM. A story that needs to be told regularly, with a key message - the Royal Navy understands 'Air Power', is skilled at 'Air Power' and can deploy 'Air Power' to the nation's advantage.

Best regards to all those who work so hard to keep the Swordfish flying We have the same problem discussing this with the USAF in the USN, to the point that an idiot CoS of the USAF (McPeak) claimed that sea power was a subset of air power. :ugh:

. As to the raid itself, pretty awesome work by all concerned. Can't recall the book's name, but I read an account of Taranto /Judgment in a paperback about 25 years ago that I think was written by a participant. I was at sea, at the time ...

54Phan
10th Nov 2015, 13:58
Ah, "Tony" McPeak, aka "Skeletor" to many of the hired help. Wasn't he the genius who removed "Tactical" from wing/squadron designations and set the stage for ACC and AMC?

Or was that some other VS nitwit?

Basil
10th Nov 2015, 16:04
Not a lot of people know that - well, I didn't.

Lonewolf_50
10th Nov 2015, 17:49
Ah, "Tony" McPeak, aka "Skeletor" to many of the hired help. Wasn't he the genius who removed "Tactical" from wing/squadron designations and set the stage for ACC and AMC?

Or was that some other VS nitwit? I think it was around that time if not on his watch. Sigh. VS nitwits seem to be in abundance in most nations' services ... thank goodness for the more junior sorts who get the mission done, like the crews of the Swordfish at Taranto! :ok:

54Phan
10th Nov 2015, 18:49
Very true, sir.

MMHendrie1
10th Nov 2015, 18:51
Well done RNHF for posting this; it’s a well put together piece and perfect timing with Taranto Night about to be celebrated in many wardrooms and messes.

Churchill described the RN’s performance as a ‘glorious episode’; indeed it was.

Wensleydale also reminds us of the supporting role played by the ‘light blue’ in the days before and after Taranto. In Cunningham’s despatch on the operation, published in 1947, he said ‘the success of the Fleet Air Arm attack was due in no small part to the excellent reconnaissances carried out by the Royal Air Force Glenn Martin Flight (No 431) from Malta, under very difficult conditions and often in the face of fighter opposition.’ Unfortunately, many of the aircrew involved, in their varying shades of blue, did not live long enough to read Cunningham’s fine words concerning the battle.

This year has been very much one to mark some significant 75th anniversaries such as Taranto, Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain. Another that marks great heroism, both civilian and military, is the commencement of the Siege of Malta in June 1940. A new book about those times, Malta’s Greater Siege & Adrian Warburton DSO* DFC** DFC (USA), is due to be released within a few days.

Union Jack
10th Nov 2015, 19:16
To tell the story we put this short film together.

....for which the RNHF deserves a big BZ.:ok:

Before the spelling pedants try to correct me, that is the correct historical spelling of the operation codename.

....and to save them from themselves, "In British English the normal spelling in general contexts is judgement. However, the spelling judgment is conventional in legal contexts, and in North American English." - Oxford Dictionaries.:=

....and he's wearing them the right way round!:D

Wander00
10th Nov 2015, 19:40
Reminds me of Taranto Nights in OMs at Watton, Worthy Down and Wyton - and of a group of very brave men and an iconic aeroplane

chevvron
10th Nov 2015, 19:48
There used to be a Taranto Night dinner at Farnborough when there was still an RAF Officers Mess. I still have a set of place mats used at the last one.
Some years the RNHF Swordfish attended; it was hauled up onto the OM lawn through a gap in the fence. One year, presumably as a 'thank you', it stayed for several weeks, eventually emerging from 'A' Shed with a new set of wings. They had been re-covered in Farnborough's fabric shop - I'd seen them through the window some weeks previously.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
10th Nov 2015, 20:49
BZ.

Duncs :ok:

Barnacle Bill
10th Nov 2015, 23:09
"p.s. Wasn't aware that Dan Snow was a Lt Cdr in the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force"

Basil, please!!!!! It is not "The Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force". No, no, no! The Royal Navy has it`s own air assets. It is the Fleet [fleet??...something of a clue in the name, ie seagoing] Air Arm.
The Fleet Air Arm is part and parcel of the ROYAL NAVY.

"THEY SAY IN THE AIRFORCE, A LANDINGS OK
IF THE PILOT GETS OUT AND CAN STILL WALK AWAY
BUT IN THE FLEET AIR ARM THE PROSPECTS ARE DIM
IF THE LANDINGS` PISS POOR
AND THE PILOT CAN`T SWIM"

Tourist
11th Nov 2015, 05:09
Can't believe you bit.....:rolleyes:

Basil
11th Nov 2015, 09:00
Just a wee bit of banter ;)

From Wiki:

On 1 April 1924, the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force was formed, encompassing those RAF units that normally embarked on aircraft carriers and fighting ships.
On 24 May 1939 the Fleet Air Arm was returned to Admiralty control.

In the summer of 1940, the RAF had little more than 800 fighter pilots and as the Battle progressed the RAF shortage worsened. . . . . the RAF was forced to call upon the Admiralty for Fleet Air Arm assistance. . . . many of the unsung heroes of RAF Fighter Command were the Fleet Air Arm crews . . .

p.s. 1102 Just caught the flypast at Yeovilton on BBC1 TV.

Barnacle Bill
12th Nov 2015, 08:54
Doh!

However, the RNHT/RNHF have done such a good job of promoting the flight and particularly the Swordfish [read out on yesterday`s news as an Em Kay 1 Swordfish] that I wrongly assumed Basil was a public reader, visiting the site getting his facts wrong. I forgot....banter.....been outside too long:ugh:

FAStoat
12th Nov 2015, 11:23
FLY NAVY,DIG ARMY,EAT CRAB