PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Crash, January 1977

MightyGem
8th Nov 2015, 19:35
Just watching the Antiques Roadshow, with a lady showing the flying boots of her husband who bailed from a burning Vulcan on 17 Jan 1977.

What was the story behind the accident?

JAVELINBOY
8th Nov 2015, 19:42
Full details here
RAF-lincolnshire.info :: 101 Squadron: Crash of XM600 (http://www.raf-lincolnshire.info/101sqn/crash_101sqn_xm600_vulcan_b2.htm)

goudie
8th Nov 2015, 20:19
Is this the same Vulcan crash that was featured in the opening paragraphs of 'Black Buck'?

Pontius Navigator
8th Nov 2015, 21:23
As it happens, we took 600 to St Athans for the first Vulcan major servicing at that unit. Around 65 or 66.

On getting airborne to return to Cottesmore the undercarriage doors closed followed by the undercarriage punching the door jacks through the wings.

I can't recall how it got down but there was a row because landing at a Bomber Command base made it Bomber Command accident statistic. The captain was told he should have landed back at St Athan and a Maintenance Command stat.

Nothing like playing from the same song sheet.

Tankertrashnav
8th Nov 2015, 21:27
Interesting story. I think this was one of only two completely succesful full crew abandonments from a Vulcan, the other being the one in 1971 up in Northumberland, or Yorkshire, which was also after an engine fire.* The Vs had a poor record for rear crew survivability, and this guy was certainly one of the lucky ones. The report above unfortunately just refers to "the navigator" so its not clear if this is the chap with the boots, or the Nav Radar, as the lady on the programme referred to her husband as the Nav Plotter.

We regularly practised abandoning the Victor in a crew trainer, but there was always a nagging doubt that in the event you'd end up bouncing along the fuselage. Never had to find out, fortunately!

*Goudie - this earlier one is the incident described in the opening of Vulcan 607, the story of Black Buck. The captain of that aircraft was Bob Alcock, who was also the captain of the Vulcan which crashed at Luqa, killing all the rear crew. I am pretty sure that Alcock was the only man to have successfully ejected from two Vulcans.

MightyGem
8th Nov 2015, 21:55
Full details here
Thanks, JAVELINBOY.

spekesoftly
8th Nov 2015, 22:13
I think this was one of only two completely succesful full crew abandonments from a VulcanTwo more here:-

ASN Aircraft accident 24-JUL-1959 Avro Vulcan B.1 XA891 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55325)

ASN Aircraft accident 16-JUL-1964 Avro Vulcan B.Mk 1A XA909 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55320)

Skeleton
8th Nov 2015, 22:43
For the record "Bob," 600's Captain / pilot that day later went on to be a Jaguar pilot.

goudie
9th Nov 2015, 02:43
Goudie - this earlier one is the incident described in the opening of Vulcan 607,

Thanks TTN I'd forgotten the actual name of the book:confused:

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2015, 08:43
Spekesoftly - thanks for those references.

FAStoat
9th Nov 2015, 11:53
My old Mate Colin Woods,of the Cranwell Razzing Tape Fame,was second dickie in a Mk1a on a Training Flight when it got into difficulties over Wales.The Captain was "Boss" Smith and he instructed the back seaters to jump,then he and Colin Ejected successfully,after trying to perform a very long extended final to a straight in at Valley,which proved Not On!!So another example of the whole crew surviving.As I recall Boss Smith went on to run the Varsities at Oakington,and Colin lead the Poachers after the V Force,then Rothmans in 76.The poor chap succumbed to the dreaded "C",some years ago.

spekesoftly
9th Nov 2015, 13:28
So another example of the whole crew surviving

I think that's the same one that I linked to above - XA909.

When I first met Mike Smith in 1969, he was an A1 Jet Provost QFI and boss of No1 Sqn BFTS at RAF Linton-on-Ouse. Without question the most calm and confidence inspiring QFI that I ever had the pleasure to fly with.

ORAC
9th Nov 2015, 13:31
CRASH OF AVRO VULCAN XM610, CO DURHAM (http://www.neam.co.uk/wingate.html)

knarfw
9th Nov 2015, 13:32
XM610 was the one that crashed in Durham piloted by Flt Lt Alcock. Crash of Avro Vulan XM610 over County Durham (http://www.neam.co.uk/wingate.html)

Brian 48nav
9th Nov 2015, 17:51
Mike Smith was my Flt Cdr at South Cerney, Dec '65 to Apr '66 - a thorough gentleman! I recall he walked a little 'strangely' which I guess was due to his ejection. By coincidence another cadet on our flight had been on an ATC camp at Valley and witnessed the Vulcan incident.

About 1972 I recall a new co-pilot on my Herc' squadron telling me that Mike had been his QFI on JPs and that he had been a great instructor. A Rhodesian IIRC with a lovely wife!

If you go to the '230 Course South Cerney' thread there is a picture of him and some of our flight there - although we were 218 Course.

Pontius Navigator
9th Nov 2015, 18:17
Re 909, I was told if was a heaven sent opportunity for inventory and document adjustment. One joke was there was even a 2-door steel cupboard on board.

On 600s, there was a press release asking for anyone finding the AEO s nav bag to hand it in. AEO s used to fly with a massive loose leaf document, a virtual workshop manual for everything wiggly amped. I don't know if it was ever recovered

Timelord
9th Nov 2015, 18:47
In the days after the Spilsby accident a couple of AAC Scouts were detached to Waddington and with a Vulcan person along we went chasing around the Fens looking for Secret pages from said AEO's bag. Great fun but mostly we found fertiliser bags.

Shackman
9th Nov 2015, 19:38
Brian

Beat me to it - he was also my Flt Cdr on 227 Cse; as you say, a true gentleman in the way he treated us cadets (unlike some others!).

jdcorr
27th May 2016, 20:22
I have a picture of my father stood next to a Vulcan in 1965 at RAF Luqa. That aircraft has now been identified as XM600. Now this Vulcan has been identified I'm trying to get all the history I can on XM600.

I've just found about 'Where the big birds fly' the documentary that includes XM600 but have yet to find the video available anywhere.

I would be greatful for any information on XM600.

Many thanks

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
29th May 2016, 23:05
Speaking of a whole crew surviving abandonment of a Vulcan, probably the first was XA891 on 24 JUL 1959 near Brough aerodrome. As it was a development machine on a test flight from Woodford, it may not count.

Tankertrashnav
30th May 2016, 09:26
GBZ - re the Woodford crash, see Spekesoftly's first link (post #5).

I rather think that the civvy test crew thought it counted ;)

ambulocetus27
14th Nov 2023, 20:19
I have a picture of my father stood next to a Vulcan in 1965 at RAF Luqa. That aircraft has now been identified as XM600. Now this Vulcan has been identified I'm trying to get all the history I can on XM600.

I've just found about 'Where the big birds fly' the documentary that includes XM600 but have yet to find the video available anywhere.

I would be greatful for any information on XM600.

Many thanks

Have you managed to find any details on XM600?I am researching the history of the village of Welton le Marsh in Lincolnshire weltonlemarsh.org.uk

I understand from older residents of the village, that during the crash of Vulcan XM600 on 17-Jan-1977 from which mercifully all of the crew survived, that the aircraft flew over our village, depositing some parts and one of the crew by parachute.

The aircraft finally landed in Halton Holgate, some 5km away.

I would like to verify the eye witness accounts.

My request is:
- Please could you verify whether the flight path did go over the village? (a map of flight path would be appreciated)
- Please could you verify whether any of the crew landed in the village? (names, details, photos or contact details would be appreciated (obviously if they wished to engage))
- Please could you provide any pictures of the crash site
- Please could you provide any pictures of the aircraft in operational condition (I have one black and white picture of the aircraft landing in Malta

Thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.